• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

konbar

Peter Burge (5)
Is it normal that CAS only get 2 boys into the Sydney 15's side? Haven't payed a lot of attention to it in the past but this seems very low for the 'strength' of the age group.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
By my rough calculation, unless Swinton is promoted, this will be the first year since 1993 that there has been no CAS player capped by Australian Schools.

jeff thomson

Herbert Moran (7)
Is it normal that CAS only get 2 boys into the Sydney 15's side? Haven't payed a lot of attention to it in the past but this seems very low for the 'strength' of the age group.

The two strongest teams in that age are Waves and Knox. Not sure if they have anyone in the Sydney side but i know alot the Wave boys play League

Tahmen

Frank Nicholson (4)
Knox Vs Trinity
An uninjured Trinity team would be one of the best in the competition but due to poor depth any injuries wreak havoc. Does anybody have the injury status'? Although a fit Trinity has immense attacking power in both their forwards and their backs, I think Knox will be too good.
Knox by 5.

Waverley Vs Cranbrook
Probably my pick of the round, Waverley entered the season with high hopes and I suspect that they would be a little bit disappointed with how their season has gone so far and so will be playing with a lot too prove. While Cranbrook who started off very slow has started to pick up their pace and look more threatening.
Waverley by 2

Barker Vs Aloys
Probably the least likely for an upset. Barker's backs couldn't contain Aloys' dangerous backs and it is hard to see why they will suddenly be able to do this this round. They have a strong forward pack but I think Aloys will be too dangerous whenever they get the ball.
Aloys by 12

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Round Seven of the comp should be quite interesting in what has become quite an interesting season. At this stage 4 sides are still in the race (mathematically at least), and the form of the sides would indicate that it is still too early to say who will be the winner. That said, Knox would be more than warm favourites.

However their trip to Summer Hill will be a tough affair. Trinity showed plenty of spirit in the first round and have a core group of strong players. And at home they are always tough. The competition is for Knox to lose, and I couldn't imagine they will be going into this game lightly. So they should win, but it will be close.

Barker hosts Aloys. The erratic nature of Barker's season doesn't do justice to a competent side missing one or two star players. Aloys will be hoping that the break hasn't disrupted their momentum and will be relishing to let loose their backs on the wide open spaces at Waitara. Barker are traditionalluy strong at home, but this year Aloys has the class. I favour Aloysius in this one slightly.

At 'Death Valley' Waverley should be too strong for the rapidly improving Cranbrook - though I think the conditions may favour Cranbrook. I feel that the Cranbrook forwards are tighter and would relish the mud more than Waverley. So my money would be on Waverley here.

Yet all my picks are without confidence, such is the nature of this season. And I am not sure how injuries have affected the teams, nor what holiday training/ games have set-up the team for the last four rounds of the competitions.

Rebels rising

Stan Wickham (3)
Trinity line up from their school notice board
1 purnel filipo
2 Dustin Pham
3 Anthony nugyen
4 Liam Rasch
5 johnny bechara (debut i believe)
6 angus Tonkin
7 chris molla
8 harry mclennnen
9 Harrison Gregory
10 robert sitiene
11 alex Connolly
12 kordell Payne
13 sipu tiuavake (apologies for spelling)
14 David Barbati
15 Ryan longville

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Alloys were always in control and dominant. Final score was 37/22 to Alloys. Penalties conceded and lack of a quality kicker hurt Barker.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Full credit to cranners in the 1sts ... I don't know if it was a case of their being back to full strength ...(didn't see Renton?) But either way they came to Death Valley on a day when most silver spooners would have curled up in the foetal position, or popped down to thredders, in mummies beamer

But they played very well ...liked last years team ... Their forwards in particular were great ... And the brook backs, that looked , earlier in the season, like they were the masters of turnstile defence ....out-played waverley more fancied backs.

Guess it is back to the drawing board for waverley ... Won't focus on negatives, other than to say they sure kicked away a lot of possession ... There was a comical period where murphy kept trying to kick grubbers from the base of scrums/ mauls

Anyway some very good years coming thru so hopefully 2016 onwards will see more joy at the valley of death

S

sidelineview

Full credit to cranners in the 1sts . I don't know if it was a case of their being back to full strength .(didn't see Renton?) But either way they came to Death Valley on a day when most silver spooners would have curled up in the foetal position, or popped down to thredders, in mummies beamer

But they played very well .liked last years team . Their forwards in particular were great . And the brook backs, that looked , earlier in the season, like they were the masters of turnstile defence ..out-played waverley more fancied backs.

Guess it is back to the drawing board for waverley . Won't focus on negatives, other than to say they sure kicked away a lot of possession . There was a comical period where murphy kept trying to kick grubbers from the base of scrums/ mauls

Anyway some very good years coming thru so hopefully 2016 onwards will see more joy at the valley of death

Waverley had a shocker and a full strength Cranbrook team has turned their season around big time. It's back to the drawing board for the Waves; they've got plenty of talent but it remains to be seen if they can turn it around in the next three rounds.

The older I get

Bob McCowan (2)
Knox 16s had a great game and soundly beat Trinity 16s yesterday. Trinity came out of the gate strong, scoring a try in first 2 minutes. However the powerful Knox forwards put on a display of hard running that smashed through the Trinity defence. Stenning, Garing, Collins, Humphrey and Frost linked beautifully with the backs including Tom Brown and Hunter Myers to show why they are the team to beat in the Como this year. Can Knox go undefeated?

In the 1st XV, Knox played a solid game and won convincingly against a spirited Trinity. Trinity showed some great moments in the 1st half scoring a nice try. Some of the refereeing and touch line decisions left the crowd laughing with a penalty count of about 9-2 against Knox in the first half. Knox tried hard to give the game away, losing simple line outs and failing to put any phases together. Lots of turnover ball and the endless penalty count gave Trinity about 80% possession. However the Knox team slowly started to put some phases together and the Knox backs finished off beautifully.
The most impressive thing about this Knox team yesterday was its defence. The engine room resisted phase after phase of the Trinity attack with Swinton, Chapman, Begg and Basson working tirelessly. They shut downTrinity's MacLennan and limited his attacking runs very well. When they finally gained some possession, they didn't waste it and gave the backs some clean ball from the breakdown. The Knox backline including Woodcock, Williams and Armstring were dangerous with Woodcock doing two kick charge downs and scoring a lovely try. Armstrong and Williams showed why the are considered amongst CAS most aggressive offensive ball runners. The Knox backline looked slick and dangerous all day. Unfortunately, after some terrific running and also a try the hard running Stenning retired injured. Knox will be hoping that it's not serious as he adds a lot of firepower to the Knox backs.
Overall an entertaining game, however despite trinity having so much possession, they never really threatened and Knox remain undefeated so-far this season. The question remains - can they do it and take out the Henry Plume? A big game against Aloys looms....

konbar

Peter Burge (5)
Congratulations to the following CAS boys who have made teams in the past few weeks

SJRU 14's

Kyle Galloway (Barker)
Tom Gratwicke (Knox)
Sean Kennedy (Knox)
Ben Pollack (Aloys)
Sam Rechner (Knox)

SJRU U15's

Tom Cameron (Knox)
David Tejcek (Barker)

NSW Presidents XV

Ben Donaldson (Waverley)
Will Harding (Barker)
Lachlan Townsend (Waverley)

SJRU 16's

Finn Wright (Waverley)
Matthew Stead (Trinity)
Marco Bell (Waverley)

NSW Schools 16's

Tom Woodcock (Knox)

sidesteppa

Watty Friend (18)
9mins highlights of Waverley 16A defeating Cranbrook 16A last saturday, scoring 4 tries to nil. The tries are at 2:31, 7:53, 8:40 and 9:45

Open Side

Bob McCowan (2)
Congrats to Cranbrook on their much deserved win. Waverley were dreadful.
The team needs some changes and looks like the Coaches do also. Either some players don't support the Coaches game plan(s) OR the Coaches can't get their message across effectively to certain individuals. Same bad habits on show. Suggest the 1sts watch footage of how Waverley 3rds and 2nds are playing...they may learn something. Drew-Morris, Pepper, Cartmer and a few others deserve to be promoted from the 2nds as does the Coach Scott Coleman.

Status
Not open for further replies.