• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Anyone know final A team standings below opens? I know 15As season went to Knox with a hard fought 22-21 win over Barker in the local derby to see them finish with only one loss over the 10 rounds

The older I get

Bob McCowan (2)
Knox Vs Barker a very entertaining game. Knox seemed to get back on track after looking flat last week. It was an all round team effort with the forwards creating havoc at the breakdown and backs scoring tries from slick well executed moves.
Rhett Butler, 9 was awarded man of the match and provided great ball all afternoon.
Barker played valiantly and their forwards never gave-up winning almost all their set-piece play. Unfortunately the backline were rattled and they never really recovered from several knock-ons and dropped balls in the first half.

The knox inside backline of Butler, Woodcock, Williams and Armstrong were constantly menacing the Barker backs, creating space from some beautiful moves and running aggressively. The fly-half Woodcock, took good options and really mixed it up to the point where Barker didn't seem to know what was coming next. However, I thought Joe Williams 12 in particular played very well - running hard and straight. The speedsters, Stocks, Stenning and Bosch were very safe out the back running many kick returns. Stenning pulled off a great front-on try saving tackle.

The Knox props, Grindal and Cutrone had blinders and I saw both make some massive hits and clean-outs. Rowell, 2 took at least one tight head and was spot-on with the line-out throws. However, The core enforcers of the team Swinton, Chapman, Basson, Margin and Begg played their typical hard, uncompromising rugby to wear down a tough Barker pack.

Barker were very gracious hosts and it was a great afternoon of Rugby.

Congrats to Knox players and coaches - 10/10 wins. I believe the first time since a two round competition was introduced in the 90's.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
... ... ... And with the return of service, that will be the end of the <insert school> behaviour was <bad, awful, disgraceful, rude, foul, inappropriate, disgusting, disrespectful, whatever>.

If posters feel so strongly about it, contact the school you are affiliated with, and let them deal with it.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Subtlety clearly didn't work.

Further mentions of crowd behaviour will deleted and posters will be banned.

Did this get the message through?

noregrets

Chris McKivat (8)
This year has seen a lot of heat on coaches. Williams from Knox has copped it for a while now and this year he is shoving it back in everyone's faces. This year Cornish and Maloney from Waverley have copped it yet Engele from Trinity doesn't get it at all? He was poached from Waverley 2 years ago. So far he has come 6th and now 4th. Waverley beat them (and him) twice. Surely Trinity will be looking for his head on a plate?

I just don't understand how the coaches of teams that finished first and third copped it the most?

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Knox Vs Barker a very entertaining game. Knox seemed to get back on track after looking flat last week. It was an all round team effort with the forwards creating havoc at the breakdown and backs scoring tries from slick well executed moves.
Rhett Butler, 9 was awarded man of the match and provided great ball all afternoon.
Barker played valiantly and their forwards never gave-up winning almost all their set-piece play. Unfortunately the backline were rattled and they never really recovered from several knock-ons and dropped balls in the first half.

The knox inside backline of Butler, Woodcock, Williams and Armstrong were constantly menacing the Barker backs, creating space from some beautiful moves and running aggressively. The fly-half Woodcock, took good options and really mixed it up to the point where Barker didn't seem to know what was coming next. However, I thought Joe Williams 12 in particular played very well - running hard and straight. The speedsters, Stocks, Stenning and Bosch were very safe out the back running many kick returns. Stenning pulled off a great front-on try saving tackle.

The Knox props, Grindal and Cutrone had blinders and I saw both make some massive hits and clean-outs. Rowell, 2 took at least one tight head and was spot-on with the line-out throws. However, The core enforcers of the team Swinton, Chapman, Basson, Margin and Begg played their typical hard, uncompromising rugby to wear down a tough Barker pack.

Barker were very gracious hosts and it was a great afternoon of Rugby.

Congrats to Knox players and coaches - 10/10 wins. I believe the first time since a two round competition was introduced in the 90's.

I concur with MOM going to Butler (Knox9). He had a very busy day not only in the set piece but also at the breakdown, with the Knox backrow creating a lot of turnovers. The backs cannot be over looked either with Williams, Armstrong and Stenning very dominant in the tackle.

Barker were game but they knocked on far far to many times and clearly were short on speed and skill v their knox counterparts.

That said Pursell (B) had a great game and Thompson (B) ran some fantastic lines to almost score twice.

Congrats to the Knox team. By far and away the best team in this year CAS comp.
And a round of applause to the students and parents of both schools who turned up in their thousands to support one of the highlights on the CAS calendar and did so in a way that epitomizes the best in sportsmanship..

benson13

Bob McCowan (2)
/cut/
Overall it was a great, albeit tense game, with Trinity mounting a comeback in the second half but ultimately falling short. Longville should be commended for his kicking game, which kept Trinity in the game right until the end.

Was a great game to watch and could have gone either way in the second half.

Keep in mind when the penalty kick was taken and fell short, the ball is still in play. One of the Waverley lads then booted the ball to high heaven to end the game.

If the action was taken place at the other end of the field, and the penalty kick fell short, i imagine any Waverley player to catch the ball will boot the ball to end the game also.

I wouldn't read too much into it to make a story from not much.

Great game of footy to finish off the season, a bit of niggle from both sides however nothing to write about. A lot of these boys have played CAS and club footy together (and know each other quite well), there will be friendly fire.

Some good sportsmanship from both teams of the Yr12 players after the game which show their true character.

Great season from the Knox coaching staff and players.

Till next season.

BRUMBIEJACK

Larry Dwyer (12)
This year has seen a lot of heat on coaches. Williams from Knox has copped it for a while now and this year he is shoving it back in everyone's faces. This year Cornish and Maloney from Waverley have copped it yet Engele from Trinity doesn't get it at all? He was poached from Waverley 2 years ago. So far he has come 6th and now 4th. Waverley beat them (and him) twice. Surely Trinity will be looking for his head on a plate?

I don't think there is necessarily much heat on coaches given that the majority are employed as teachers not rugby coaches. Williams at Knox is an exception - if you are employed solely to deliver a schoolboy premiership and you fail to do so then that criticism is valid. One out of three is good but if you were in private enterprise the shareholders could rightly ask what happened during the other two years. Cornish is a maths teacher and sometime year master and helps out with athletics and the variety of other stuff teachers get asked to do such as parent teacher night next week etc etc. Maloney is a year master, teacher and 1st XI cricket coach so he divides his time between several pursuits. I'm sure Engele and the others do the same (by the way Engele left on a teaching promotion as he has every right to do, not a coaching contract). Knox hasn't shoved it back in everyone's faces - rather it has shown that it takes a professional rugby coach three years and about AUD 500,000 to deliver a premiership. The sad thing about it is that I am sure they had a talented bunch of players but the professional thing rankles a bit at schoolboy level. For all the other coaches come Monday it will be back to teaching, school reports and normal life at school. As it should be.

noregrets

Chris McKivat (8)
I don't think there is necessarily much heat on coaches given that the majority are employed as teachers not rugby coaches. Williams at Knox is an exception - if you are employed solely to deliver a schoolboy premiership and you fail to do so then that criticism is valid. One out of three is good but if you were in private enterprise the shareholders could rightly ask what happened during the other two years. Cornish is a maths teacher and sometime year master and helps out with athletics and the variety of other stuff teachers get asked to do such as parent teacher night next week etc etc. Maloney is a year master, teacher and 1st XI cricket coach so he divides his time between several pursuits. I'm sure Engele and the others do the same (by the way Engele left on a teaching promotion as he has every right to do, not a coaching contract). Knox hasn't shoved it back in everyone's faces - rather it has shown that it takes a professional rugby coach three years and about AUD 500,000 to deliver a premiership. The sad thing about it is that I am sure they had a talented bunch of players but the professional thing rankles a bit at schoolboy level. For all the other coaches come Monday it will be back to teaching, school reports and normal life at school. As it should be.
Well said. I guess, all I'm saying is that the other coaches don't get mentioned. Those 3 coaches were spoken about a lot at different times.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
it has shown that it takes a professional rugby coach three years and about AUD 500,000 to deliver a premiership. The sad thing about it is that I am sure they had a talented bunch of players but the professional thing rankles a bit at schoolboy level. For all the other coaches come Monday it will be back to teaching, school reports and normal life at school. As it should be.

As it should be +1.
The $500,000 - is that p.a. or over the 3 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.