• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
I think it's very presumptuous to assume anyone will make schoolboys.

It's a difficult road and a hard one at that.

CAS have shown they can be competitive, but all the chat about higher selections and play is silly. The people who make it there will deserve it, and will likely always be the ones that deserve to be there. NSW selectors were at the game today, they were able to watch Joeys 1sts, Barker 1sts and Waverley 1sts. No doubt, players within those teams made their play to the selectors.

The teams aren't selected on Green and Gold, they are selected when the boys show what they can do on the pitch.

Sometimes it's important to remember that instead of talking players up for selections.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
WLF - WTF? Why would any CAS supporter say that only 5 CAS boys will make it across a NSW squad of 44? London to a brick he's a GPS supporter and a confirmed one eyed one at that. If CAS can carry some of this trial form into the rep match ups v GPS and ISA there will be many more than 5 in the NSW squads.

JESUS CnP,

I agree, when I first read your comment I thought you had miss read my thoughts. CAS will do well at rep level this year.

Having commented on a few of the Waverley players today, there is 1 special combination who go under the radar BUT are very smart readers of the game, ie the half and fly half for Waves, Bell and Donaldson - have played together for years and make the backline machine work!!!

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
The upcoming rep season does look exciting for CAS.

The CAS comp seems to have created the chance for success, but the interesting question is can that translate to the next level?

Could CAS come over the top of the GPS and ISA in the upcoming games?

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
I think it's very presumptuous to assume anyone will make schoolboys.

It's a difficult road and a hard one at that.

CAS have shown they can be competitive, but all the chat about higher selections and play is silly. The people who make it there will deserve it, and will likely always be the ones that deserve to be there. NSW selectors were at the game today, they were able to watch Joeys 1sts, Barker 1sts and Waverley 1sts. No doubt, players within those teams made their play to the selectors.

The teams aren't selected on Green and Gold, they are selected when the boys show what they can do on the pitch.

Sometimes it's important to remember that instead of talking players up for selections.

Agree William,

But so far the CAS boys are putting their best foot forward.

Anyway I would rather talk about the games than rep stuff.

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)
Finn Wright has got to be shoe-in for Aussie schools.. I wouldn't be surprised if a few of the Waverley forwards are selected for higher honors IMO.

How did Knox go today?

Given only one player (Chris F-S) has ever made Aussie Schools from Year 10, Wright will have to be something special to do it, more so since he's a prop. Good luck to him

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Reilly 13 wasn't injured ... it was 12 that was injured and 6?
Both were ably replaced by 16 and 17 Ryan?

Think Ryan knows who Moretti is now!

16 is quality player ... can goal kick too

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Tremendous game by Waverley today. This Joey's team is a quality side and losing Scolari (6) and Everleigh (12) while defending a brutal charge by Cornish was unfortunate. But really the 10 minutes prior, the game was being dominated by Waverley, who were executing their game plan to perfection. Passes stuck, hits were huge, defensive lines well and truly bent.

The aggressive running by the forwards was the key, providing a fabulous platform for Donaldson and Hardaker to weave their magic.

I hope Finn Wright is not badly injured although it was clear he carried that injury for at least 20 min before succumbing.

As a Barker follower, both Waverley and Barker play a very similar game, although the skill and execution of Waverley is a class above.

The Joey's 1st XV have the skill and power to match any school boy side, but I think they lacked a bit of mongrel, which Waverley has in abundance. Knox are no doubt a good side but if Waverley can repeat this effort in the CAS round they will be hard to beat.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Barker were missing a couple of key players today. Will Lloyd (normally 15) was away at a athletics carnival and Mack Northcot (4) is still 1 week away from playing again after injury.

Another plus was the fluency in the backs once Tejcek (9) came on. The backs really started to click and he must be pressing to be the starting half next week.

Dontreachyoungbloods

Allen Oxlade (6)
Knox certainly beaten by the better team yesterday, they just didn't seem to have the extra spark they had over the past two weeks. Missing Frear and Collins in the forwards may have affected things a little, but not enough to change the result. It was certainly interesting to see the Knox scrum brought back down to earth.

Newington had great players all over the place, but I though #18 in the forwards was outstanding - anyone know his name?

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
What struck me yesterday was that I kept hearing how ill disciplined Waverley were but didnt see any evidence. Maybe they were on their best behaviour!

Sure they were very physical abut they are an impressive side. Knox V Waverley will be a fantastic game in prospect. Having now seen both teams play this year, I would favour Waverley.

No doubt a number of the Waverley team will attain higher honours.

Based on their impact in the joeys game, I would be watching, #3 Finn Wright, #4Finn O'Sullivan, #6 Liam Cornish, #8 Luca Moretti, #10 Ben Donaldson, #12 Brooklyn Hardaker

Dontreachyoungbloods

Allen Oxlade (6)
One other thing I think worth bringing up was the standard of medical support at the Knox game yesterday. In the 2nds a player went down with what looked like a collarbone issue, but there was no one coming to his aid. Finally a very young first aid kid came over but he didn't seem to fill anyone with confidence. In the 1sts, there was another shoulder/collarbone injury with little support, before one player appeared to get concussed before half time, and seemed "off" for the rest of the game. I found it pretty rough that there appeared to be little professional help and expertise, especially around the concussion incident. I expect more from a school with the resources available to it. Not sure how it is with other schools, but in the opens in particular you need more than a St. John's or basic first aider in place. Just my 2c.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
JESUS CnP,

I agree, when I first read your comment I thought you had miss read my thoughts. CAS will do well at rep level this year.

Having commented on a few of the Waverley players today, there is 1 special combination who go under the radar BUT are very smart readers of the game, ie the half and fly half for Waves, Bell and Donaldson - have played together for years and make the backline machine work!!!

Apologies WLF - a misguided attempt on my part at acronym humour.

S

sidelineview

What struck me yesterday was that I kept hearing how ill disciplined Waverley were but didnt see any evidence. Maybe they were on their best behaviour!

Sure they were very physical abut they are an impressive side. Knox V Waverley will be a fantastic game in prospect. Having now seen both teams play this year, I would favour Waverley.

No doubt a number of the Waverley team will attain higher honours.

Based on their impact in the joeys game, I would be watching, #3 Finn Wright, #4Finn O'Sullivan, #6 Liam Cornish, #8 Luca Moretti, #10 Ben Donaldson, #12 Brooklyn Hardaker

I dont want to jump the gun too much but last season Waverley got 11 players in the 2 CAS teams and 3 in the State teams.

Barring injury they look like having a good representation again in the Rep teams.

There's one big weapon in Eden Rogers-Smith currently playing 2nds as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.