• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruck&maul123

Frank Row (1)
Anyone know how the Barker 2nds went against Grammar firsts? Interested to see what happened seeing as they were missing alot of key players

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I'll make the point about posting unsubstantiated rumours / hearsay and general scuttlebutt in these threads once more. Don't.
And don't respond - just report it.
Zero tolerance for this - I don't care if you think it's true, this is not the place to put it.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
my thoughts on Waverley's upset victory..

having seen Waverley's star studded 13As go down to Joeys, and seeing the Waverley 2nds demolished by Joeys 3rd, things were looking ominous

across the grounds, Joeys were showing their usual dominance

seeing Max Towns in a moon boot and seeing Paddy Dalton's name in the Joeys side and the Joeys backs unchanged from the side that beat Scots (barring the concussed 15)

I thought this could end very badly

however it was not to be .. a rag tag bunch of die hard Waverley supporters, out numbered possibly 10 to 1 were clustered on the far side, believing that the might of Joeys could be beat

in a display reminiscent of Denzel Washington in "Man on fire" ... it was a case of Waverley forwards going to tear Joeys apart piece by piece

it was the Waverley forwards to me that did a number on Joeys

between Moretti, Cornish and Wright it was clear the heavyweights had come to rumble

but also the lightweights such as Ellis and Whiteman showed how Eden Rogers-Smith had been left in 2nds

so Waverley were out of the gates and shocked a possibly exhausted Joeys forward pack .. fatigued from Scots the previous week

the Joeys 12 who had come into the match under a cloud left early, and Scolari left in unfortunate circumstances

however what must of sunk Joeys hopes is went Broklyn Hardaker pinched an intercept and ran 70 metres to score under the posts

with limited ball Joeys star 13 Triston Reilly was not being given the platform to shine

and with an inexperienced Joeys 10, the wheels were fast falling off

only a limping Finn Wright (3) offered a ray of hope

possibly the unsung hero of Waverley has been Donaldson (10) and with great service from Bell, he was trying the usual cute Randwick style backline moves

Joeys were doing their best, but unstructured and high risk was coming off

and the small Waverley crowd were matching the Joeys juggernaut

while Waverley's Daniel Andrews had a rare average day, diminutive winger Baldwin despite being monstered proved coach Cornish's faith deserved

the Joeys 16 ... Jack Quinn who hadn't featured in an earlier game ... proved an able replacement and earnt the respect of Waverley's cheeky crowd, nailing a conversion from the sideline, and suggesting Joeys might have a sniff of a fight back

however with Finn Wright succumbing to a leg injury and Harley McGuiggan (22) son of a fireman, standing tall, as a replacement prop

Waverley were not going to allow a somewhat fatigued Joeys team back into the game

the game was well refereed, played in good spirits and with hard hits and entertaining play and Joeys not being allowed to display their usual expansive play

anyway finished off with a great victory Custard Pie in front of the ever faithful Waverley crowd... and one that will no doubt go down in Waverley's history books as an emphatic victory

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
SDW Points

Waverley
3 Moretti (8) - monster hits
2 Brookie Hardaker (12) - the usual freak show, despite being well marked
1 Liam Cornish (6) - after 2 years absence still a force
Young gun - Harry Whiteman

Joeys
3 Lincoln Blackhall (1) - part of a high quality front row
2 Dylan Dowling (9) - good even on the backfoot
1 Benjamin Houston (8) -

Young gun - Jack Quinn ? (16)

Skyhighobserver

Frank Row (1)
Knox were well and truly figured out by Newington this week. Particularly they ran directly at Nick Frost who showed vulnerability in defence and a bit of laziness off the ball. His attacking game kind of made up for it but Frost was still well marked by a defensively brilliant Newington that tightened on players of interest effectively. Tom Cameron had a disaster, constantly being bullied at the contact zone. However playing him at 12 is a strategically poor idea as he is not able to straighten the Knox line in the way that Horsley and Williams had for the previous three years and so the calls for Tom Cameron to be moved to the wing are becoming ever louder. With no Frear and Collins, the Knox forwards generally were playing second fiddle to the strength of the Newington pack yet Cutrone still managed to shine in an otherwise disappointing performance. Seemingly Knox were knocked flat after last week against Kings and never properly recovered.
Newington outside backs meanwhile were fresh and always looked like a new threat was on the cards every time they had the ball. Scots College need only replay the Newington game plan for a repeat result this coming week.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
Much a flutter on the GPS thread re the Waves win. GPS world and reality view has suddenly de stabilised. It seems W will be the team to beat across both competitions. Somebody has gotta make a movie out of it eh. So much about discipline issues....

Walshy81

Sydney Middleton (9)
Just wondering… due to the fact that Barker 1sts v Grammar 1sts was changed last week to Barker 1's v Joeys 2's / Barker 2's v Grammar 1's, what about this weeks schedule on the GPS website, where it has Barker v High and Trinity v Grammar?

Am i right that; High was thrashed by Aloys (80-nil?) and the previous week Barker beat Aloys 37-5...? Grammar beaten by Brook 22-12 and Trinity beat Brook 52-21. Not entirely sure of these results...

I guess there could be some rescheduling for this weekend to avoid potential blowouts…?

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
Just wondering… due to the fact that Barker 1sts v Grammar 1sts was changed last week to Barker 1's v Joeys 2's / Barker 2's v Grammar 1's, what about this weeks schedule on the GPS website, where it has Barker v High and Trinity v Grammar?

Am i right that; High was thrashed by Aloys (80-nil?) and the previous week Barker beat Aloys 37-5.? Grammar beaten by Brook 22-12 and Trinity beat Brook 52-21. Not entirely sure of these results.

I guess there could be some rescheduling for this weekend to avoid potential blowouts…?

Yeah good question. The scores are about right. The Alos game I understand was stopped after 46 minutes. Barker is still scheduled to play Sydney High this weekend on the schedule I looked at this afternoon but presumably they will match High with the 4ths or the 5ths. Maybe even the 5ths, which soundly defeated Grammar 2's on the weekend. Dont know yet what will happen with the 1's and 2's but maybe Rod S is more in the know than I.

richard powell

Allen Oxlade (6)
if i may:

i like the idea of what all the schools are trying to achieve which i presume is some sort of equality and an even playing field. Again I assume that every parent has their kids interest as the main focal point

what is clearly evident is that that the competitive levels of all the schools varies incredibly. The bigger schools not only have tremendous talent in their A teams but their B teams are really talented and are consistently putting pressure for selection into the top team. Again what is clear is clear is that smaller schools (ie: 2 teams per age groups) B teams are not in fact B teams but a mixture of B's, C's and D's whereas for example Joyes and Knox etc B teams are genuine B teams.

Barker v Joeys 2nds (33/21 to Joeys) , Aloys 2nds v Joeys 5ths (joeys 7/5), Grammar 1sts v Barker 2nds ( Grammar24/7) is hopefully what this new competition will bring to the table. I don' know anyone thinks an 80-0 scoreline helps either the victors or the vanquished.

One thing to me seems to be clear. Knox and Waverley have clearly stepped up to the mark and Aloys beating High 80-nil and Grammar by 50 shows there is a wide gap between many schools.

Ideally in a brave new world all the kids can have a really good competitive game of Rugby and not lost to the dark side of other sports; as seems to be the case at the moment.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
Same. Awesome win, will stay in the legendsphere for years to come. The Waves boys will still be telling it when they are old men writing on this blog in 40 years.......

S

sidelineview

Same. Awesome win, will stay in the legendsphere for years to come. The Waves boys will still be telling it when they are old men writing on this blog in 40 years...

True. To go down in Waverley folklore.
The Old boys are raving about it.

Lucky one of the students captured some good photos of the day as well
Up on the schools sport facebook page.

Walshy81

Sydney Middleton (9)
Yeah good question. The scores are about right. The Alos game I understand was stopped after 46 minutes. Barker is still scheduled to play Sydney High this weekend on the schedule I looked at this afternoon but presumably they will match High with the 4ths or the 5ths. Maybe even the 5ths, which soundly defeated Grammar 2's on the weekend. Dont know yet what will happen with the 1's and 2's but maybe Rod S is more in the know than I.

We'll find out soon enough. Best we all know before we head off to a game that's not on!
Was at Wav v SJC on Sat - didn't pick that...! There'll be some hefty scores on CAS teams this year by Waverley, that's for sure!

noeyeddear

Allen Oxlade (6)
Barker Boys 1's and A's were told last week that they play Joeys again, but against Joeys 1's and A's this time. Because Grammar and High don't match up in the top grade, Barker needed games for those grades both weeks while Joeys needed games for the B teams last week, and A teams this week.

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
Barker Boys 1's and A's were told last week that they play Joeys again, but against Joeys 1's and A's this time. Because Grammar and High don't match up in the top grade, Barker needed games for those grades both weeks while Joeys needed games for the B teams last week, and A teams this week.

Is Barker 1sts playing Joeys 3rds this weekend?

Blazing Saddles

Sydney Middleton (9)
Knox were well and truly figured out by Newington this week. Particularly they ran directly at Nick Frost who showed vulnerability in defence and a bit of laziness off the ball. His attacking game kind of made up for it but Frost was still well marked by a defensively brilliant Newington that tightened on players of interest effectively. Tom Cameron had a disaster, constantly being bullied at the contact zone. However playing him at 12 is a strategically poor idea as he is not able to straighten the Knox line in the way that Horsley and Williams had for the previous three years and so the calls for Tom Cameron to be moved to the wing are becoming ever louder. With no Frear and Collins, the Knox forwards generally were playing second fiddle to the strength of the Newington pack yet Cutrone still managed to shine in an otherwise disappointing performance. Seemingly Knox were knocked flat after last week against Kings and never properly recovered.
Newington outside backs meanwhile were fresh and always looked like a new threat was on the cards every time they had the ball. Scots College need only replay the Newington game plan for a repeat result this coming week.

Must agree...Waverley worked it out at death valley last year where they focussed their runners. More will follow should make for an interesting season

Walshy81

Sydney Middleton (9)

Joeys v Shore in 1's & 2's this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.