• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

moa999

Fred Wood (13)
A closer game than many tipped at Cranbrook. 5-3 to Knox after 20 with Cranbrook just missing a penalty in front.
Knox have had majority of posession and seem to be playing a very safe game with no kicks or forced passes.

6-5 Cranbrook at 28

Knox put away the possession game and started kicking and taking more risks with passes. Cranbrook defence remains strong and they look dangerous wide on the break.

12-6 Knox at half

Obstruction

Bob McCowan (2)
Waverley 47 def Aloys 6

Best on field Finn Wright (W3) & Luca Moretti (W4)

Wright went on injured in the final minutes.

I'll write up some comments and post them at some point this weekend

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Knox out of the blocks in the 2H.
33-6 after 20

And 47-6 to finish.
Full credit to Cranbrook today. They gave away size across the paddock but defended tenaciously with fast line speed and disrupted the Knox breakdown repeatedly. A very brave performance. It was really only in the 2nd hall that Knox were able to establish dominance, with the ball given some width, enabling the backs and wide running piggies some room to move, resulting in 5 second half tries. Teams attached.

Attachments

• IMG_3290.JPG
    IMG_3290.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 455

moa999

Fred Wood (13)
Thanks for that catchnpass.

As well as the regulary mentioned Knox 5 and 15, I thought Knox 8 was a standout with a number of breaks and good effort at the breakdown.

Cranbrook 10 and 11 were probably the others i noticed.

Knox 5 Frost has the speed of a centre, as well as his height, scored a great 2H try, stepping a number of players. Very mobile for his size. In the 2H Cranbrook resorted to a number of 3-man lineouts to minimise his influence

Obstruction

Bob McCowan (2)
In regards to the Waves Aloys game today, here were a few points I gathered:

- Best on field from Waverley was 3 (Finn Wright) who had a big running game, breaking several tackles, & 4 (Luca Moretti) specifically for his strong offload game.
- From Aloys 12 (Pat Flaherty) was exceptional in a losing side, consistently drawing attention and giving exceptional ball to his outer backs. 10 (James Westbury) I also thought played well, given the difficult ball he had to cope with
- It was not so much Aloys forwards playing poor as much as it was Waverley's pack playing well as a unit. They were fast to breakdowns as well as powerful, however their discipline was not always on point and this resulted in several penalties and a yellow card (arguably lucky for waves only to cop one)
- Aloys had strong goal line defense in the first half- the half time score was 12-6. They tired dramatically later in the second half
- Overall there were a lot of positives to be had from both teams. I think although the score line did in fact reflect the game, and Aloys deservedly lost well, they showed good structure, and given some luck can trouble all teams in the coming months
- Waverley played their strong typical game. In particular, their forwards were very impressive and they used this well to their advantage

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Barker recover from a deficit @ oranges to get up over Trinity by 10. Last week Aloys had a strong win over Trinity by 30+ This week W steamroll A by 40+ and K d C by less than B did last week. It's looking a bit more interesting than we may have anticipated, though W appear to be clear favourites and C the cellar dwellers. Injuries / depth and post-rep blues will play a huge role in how teams go from here.

BRUMBIEJACK

Larry Dwyer (12)
In regards to the Waves Aloys game today, here were a few points I gathered:

- Best on field from Waverley was 3 (Finn Wright) who had a big running game, breaking several tackles, & 4 (Luca Moretti) specifically for his strong offload game.
- From Aloys 12 (Pat Flaherty) was exceptional in a losing side, consistently drawing attention and giving exceptional ball to his outer backs. 10 (James Westbury) I also thought played well, given the difficult ball he had to cope with
- It was not so much Aloys forwards playing poor as much as it was Waverley's pack playing well as a unit. They were fast to breakdowns as well as powerful, however their discipline was not always on point and this resulted in several penalties and a yellow card (arguably lucky for waves only to cop one)
- Aloys had strong goal line defense in the first half- the half time score was 12-6. They tired dramatically later in the second half
- Overall there were a lot of positives to be had from both teams. I think although the score line did in fact reflect the game, and Aloys deservedly lost well, they showed good structure, and given some luck can trouble all teams in the coming months
- Waverley played their strong typical game. In particular, their forwards were very impressive and they used this well to their advantage

I'd add some points to this. Another re-jigged backline didn't help Waverley's fluency to start and this, along with the greasy ball (there was a little bit of annoying rain about) made it hard for Waverley to get going. I would have given MoM to ben Donaldson who played out of position at 12 but is always on the lookout for opportunities and calms the team down as captain (he also scored 2 tries).
I thought Aloys played really hard rugby and tackled themselves to a standstill - they certainly didn't take a backward step & should be proud of their effort. You can only play as well as the other team lets you and Waverley always put them under pressure. In the second half they had much less ball and began to tire form the tackling they had to do. But nobody should take them for granted as they have talent and big hearts.
The Wav yellow card was justified (player tackled in the air from kickoff) but I would say that Aloys were lucky not to get one for repeated infringements. The ref blew lots of penalties for not releasing, not rolling away, offside against Aloys in the 2nd half (they did what they had to do) but didn't even talk to the captain about it. I think he didn't want to unbalance an increasingly unbalanced game.
So Waverley got a good physical game from Aloys but didn't have their tryline breached and were able to score 7 tries through a well-disciplined ensemble game. It sounds strange but I'd agree that both teams can take positives from this. Aloys lost heavily but this is a very good Waverley side and they put more points on against Riverview, Joeys, Newington and Shore than they did against Aloys. Waverley's team isn't back to full strength yet but it's much stronger than last week against Riverview and it showed.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
I'd add some points to this. Another re-jigged backline didn't help Waverley's fluency to start and this, along with the greasy ball (there was a little bit of annoying rain about) made it hard for Waverley to get going. I would have given MoM to ben Donaldson who played out of position at 12 but is always on the lookout for opportunities and calms the team down as captain (he also scored 2 tries).
I thought Aloys played really hard rugby and tackled themselves to a standstill - they certainly didn't take a backward step & should be proud of their effort. You can only play as well as the other team lets you and Waverley always put them under pressure. In the second half they had much less ball and began to tire form the tackling they had to do. But nobody should take them for granted as they have talent and big hearts.
The Wav yellow card was justified (player tackled in the air from kickoff) but I would say that Aloys were lucky not to get one for repeated infringements. The ref blew lots of penalties for not releasing, not rolling away, offside against Aloys in the 2nd half (they did what they had to do) but didn't even talk to the captain about it. I think he didn't want to unbalance an increasingly unbalanced game.
So Waverley got a good physical game from Aloys but didn't have their tryline breached and were able to score 7 tries through a well-disciplined ensemble game. It sounds strange but I'd agree that both teams can take positives from this. Aloys lost heavily but this is a very good Waverley side and they put more points on against Riverview, Joeys, Newington and Shore than they did against Aloys. Waverley's team isn't back to full strength yet but it's much stronger than last week against Riverview and it showed.

As usual BJ, spot on.

I had lunch today before the game with 20+ Aloys and Waverley old boys prior to the game, vintage 1979. Hey Dick!

We all agreed that Aloys, as always, turned up and put pressure on the waves, and the half time score line of 14-6 was very much proof.

It is so true how a key player can make such a difference.
Ben Donaldson is seriously all class and was brilliant today at IC.
But the loss of B. Hardaker is so obvious, it is this combo with Bell and Donaldson that makes the back line machine purr.

Today it didn't but they had enough to get the job done but not a pretty game.

The Aloys team will put it to Knox and Barker, I am sure, and next year...

However, Based on todays results, I think Barker will need to improve if they are to challenge this year.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
As usual BJ, spot on.

I had lunch today before the game with 20+ Aloys and Waverley old boys prior to the game, vintage 1979. Hey Dick!

We all agreed that Aloys, as always, turned up and put pressure on the waves, and the half time score line of 14-6 was very much proof.

It is so true how a key player can make such a difference.
Ben Donaldson is seriously all class and was brilliant today at IC.
But the loss of B. Hardaker is so obvious, it is this combo with Bell and Donaldson that makes the back line machine purr.

Today it didn't but they had enough to get the job done but not a pretty game.

The Aloys team will put it to Knox and Barker, I am sure, and next year.

However, Based on todays results, I think Barker will need to improve if they are to challenge this year.

I totally agree. Barker played poorly today for 70% of the game. When they finally clicked the points came easliy but that will not happen against Waverley or Knox, and for that matter Aloys too. Aloys are a tough team to play and Barker will need to be on their game to win.

Mike Green

Frank Row (1)
Watching the Alos Waverly game, the Year 11 boys from both sides were going at it with the Alos boys holding their weight against the bigger Waverly boys, Ryan (7) and Ienco (1) were standouts for me along with Westbury (10) looking dangerous. It's going to be a cracker against Barker on the 17th with Alos at home????.

Waverly just outplayed Alos over 70 minutes with both teams showing moments of class and skill.

S

sidelineview

Aloys gained a lot of admirers yesterday for their dogged determination and defence, especially in the first half. They shouldn't be taken lightly in future games.

For Waverley, Moretti and Cornish were punishing in defence. All the forwards got through a lot of work defensively in keeping Aloys tryless, but these two were impressive with their huge legitimate hits. Both have good ball skills in attack as well.

Finn Wright is not only a powerhouse runner with ball in hand but his ball skills would make a good number 10 proud. He's got very soft hands for a big man and can offload one handed with either hand.

Two big plays from the game were when both Wright and Will McCormick showed deft ball skills to offload one handed for Bell to take the final pass and score.

The other one was when Bell threw a sneaky little inside flick pass close to the line for a forward (Finn OSullivan?) to charge onto it and score.

Donaldson's all class and the pacey diminutive winger Baldwin looked good as well.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
I totally agree. Barker played poorly today for 70% of the game. When they finally clicked the points came easliy but that will not happen against Waverley or Knox, and for that matter Aloys too. Aloys are a tough team to play and Barker will need to be on their game to win.
Accurate unfortunately. I thought Trinity played far better than Alos did against Barker a few weeks back. The Trinty forwards were very quick to the breakdown and tended to smother the Barker half easily when he had possession which made it difficult for Barker to develop fluency in the backline. The Barker forwards fired up in the last 20 minutes or so but it was a real close call. At least schoolboy Rugby has its excitement grounded in its lack of predictability.

kiwiburd

Stan Wickham (3)

Agreed. Barker learnt a valuable lesson yesterday. You can never undermine the ability of any CAS school, regardless of prior performance. I take my hat off to Trinity. In my opinion, their physicality was a huge asset and placed the Barker boys under a lot of pressure- forcing errors and making it difficult for B to gain momentum. The Boys from Summer Hill cannot be taken lightly and that was made very evident from the moment it ticked past 3:15.

However, the Barker boys still proved themselves to be a contender to take home the HP shield. The final quarter of the game was top notch and it was clear that B were not going to start their CAS campaign on a low. Barker will have a lot of work to do over the next two weeks as I'm sure Aloys will be hungry to knock over the red on their Home turf.

With 4 games left of the competition, there is no time to waste. Round 2 will be critical for all teams to make their mark. Gives me goose bumps.

leftrightout16

Peter Burge (5)
Cranbrook showed extreme promise in the first half, although they could not get over the line, their defensive effort is something to be extremely proud of. They managed to defend Knox for multiple phases with great line speed and strong tackles. Crammond and Tilley were exceptional at leading the forward pack whilst Reynolds managed to grab 3 or 4 turnovers in the first half. The teams immense defensive pressure shut down the likes of Frost and Garing, who both showed how impactful their running games can be in the second half. Stenmark again showed his kicking game challenging Knox's back three and making Knox keep working their way back to the line. The whole team should be commended for their first half effort but still have a lot to work on after the second half, especially in offense.

It will be interesting to see if Brook can continue that energy for 70 minutes against the likes of Aloys and Trinity. I hope they can pull themselves out of the wooden spoon position and really challenge the lower CAS teams this year.

First phase

Allen Oxlade (6)
Trinity unlucky today...they played well today they dominated barker in the scrum and lineout. The trinity 9 and 8 where the best two players on the field from either team. Barker are robotic and have no one organising their play. Their scrum was under pressure all day lineout shambolic and some of the backs were very ordinary. 1 and 8 were their best.

Status
Not open for further replies.