• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sidelineview

Who is the Waverley no 12? Is that Hardaker?

Yes.
Some say he's not big enough to reach higher Rep honours but I hope the selectors dont think like that.
He is the complete package: a fierce competitor, aggressive, strong in defence and skillful in attack.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
He plays with maturity and aplomb. He was not intimidated by the sheer size of the other players.He must have practised that ground kick and retrieval a thousand times. It is rare to see something like that come off. I think he is one to watch. And you can pick him easily with that hair....

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Anyway did I mention I am looking forward to Waverley v Joeys J

SDW I too think that Waverley V Joeys will be a cracker 13 May at Hunters Hill. Hopefully there will be a good crowd there.

Another one to watch will be Waverley V Kings on 29 April at Parramatta.

Thanks sidesteppa for the footage, you are very generous with your time.

Whitelinefever, from the footage I saw, it looked like try butchering was common to both teams!

A lot of one off stuff which the next few months will iron out I am sure!

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
SDW I too think that Waverley V Joeys will be a cracker 13 May at Hunters Hill. Hopefully there will be a good crowd there.

Another one to watch will be Waverley V Kings on 29 April at Parramatta.

Thanks sidesteppa for the footage, you are very generous with your time.

Whitelinefever, from the footage I saw, it looked like try butchering was common to both teams!

A lot of one off stuff which the next few months will iron out I am sure!

AS, maybe you are right about both sides blowing tries, I only saw the second half. I thought both teams were solid in different areas, the SP team was huge but we have a number of boys who also play league, and they can tackle.

Waves play a number of the GPS away which will be tough. Joeys at Joeys, should be a ripper, likewise kings at Kings and view at view, and as we all know, every game is a new game.

A mate of mine was at QP yesterday and he has a boy at Joey, he doesn't rate Joeys this year, I have heard the opposite, what is your view?

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Very early days at Hunters Hill. A loss to a good Marist Canberra side 3 tries to 2 and a loss by a conversion against TSS shouldn't be sounding the alarm bells just yet.

Selectors seem to be giving a squad of 30 boys a fair opportunity to impress.

Scrum was strong against Marist Canberra ( a few tight heads won) and also held TSS in the contest. (TSS did a number on Waverley scrum)

A number of key players have been out injured but will return for term 2.

Not making excuses, ball security has been poor; loss of possession at the ruck and lots of dropped ball in the two trials thus far which is uncharacteristic for Joeys.

Lets see how they shape up after their Coffs Harbour training camp.

Never underestimate Joeys

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
Very early days at Hunters Hill. A loss to a good Marist Canberra side 3 tries to 2 and a loss by a conversion against TSS shouldn't be sounding the alarm bells just yet.

Selectors seem to be giving a squad of 30 boys a fair opportunity to impress.

Scrum was strong against Marist Canberra ( a few tight heads won) and also held TSS in the contest. (TSS did a number on Waverley scrum)

A number of key players have been out injured but will return for term 2.

Not making excuses, ball security has been poor; loss of possession at the ruck and lots of dropped ball in the two trials thus far which is uncharacteristic for Joeys.

Lets see how they shape up after their Coffs Harbour training camp.

Never underestimate Joeys

I can't imagine anyone would underestimate Joeys.

Yes very early days but it is looking like there are some interesting skills sets shaping up between the different schools, and IMO, that is one of the reasons playing more schools is so interested.

This new GPS/CAS format is generating some new and real interest, do you agree?

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
No, not really, its just extending the trial period. More trial games amongst more schools

Ok sorry you feel that way, comes across as extending "trial" games as a boring thing.
You see I don't see them as just "trial" games, I think it really means something in reality, to each school.
Anyway we all have different opinions, maybe when the season has finished our thoughts may change. Only time will tell.

moa999

Fred Wood (13)
Maybe from some. Haven't CAS schools always played GPS in trials?? Business as usual if that's the case.
Recently only in early trials with both playing a 10-game H&A season.
This year is different and I expect the post holiday games will be treated as proper games.

Sent from my Tab2A7-10F using Tapatalk

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
Recently only in early trials with both playing a 10-game H&A season.
This year is different and I expect the post holiday games will be treated as proper games.

Sent from my Tab2A7-10F using Tapatalk

Moa999, I think when the results come in the mood will change between those discussing on these forums.

Whereas all the boys from all schools will be absolutely fair dinkum.

CNorth

Herbert Moran (7)
Boys always are. Will the coaches ?? Don't win anything in pre season warm up games. They are judged on their performance in the real deal

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
Boys always are. Will the coaches ?? Don't win anything in pre season warm up games. They are judged on their performance in the real deal

CN, I don't think it's as simple as that, simply put, if you win your comp but lose games against other schools call them "trials" but really do use your major players in these "trial" games, then you are NOT as good as you think you are.

IMO it is all about how you go against a number of schools not just a small few.

DaSchmooze

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I think it's important that every game that a team plays is taken at it's merits. As a St. Pat's Old Boy, I can tell you that every game we played at school was real, important and we wanted to win them all regardless of which association that team was in.

I think having greater "cross fertilization" with more games between GPS/CAS/ISA is an excellent idea and is to be encouraged.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Personally I think it would be WAY better if they weren't trials ... so if they aren't going to return to the 2 round comp, it would be FAR better IMHO, if it was an expanded CAS/GPS comp

however my mail is Sydney Grammar might be the problem .... they should just drop kick them, if they can't put 2 teams together, and if they want to remain on their recent path fair enough, but they shouldn't ruin it for everyone else

such a shame ... with the beautiful Weigall Oval being wasted.

Albert Weigall's first headmaster would be appalled

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
Maybe a combined CAS/GPS with a cup/plate competition based on first round results something like the clubs do might be a way to see the best of competition and broaden the spectrum somewhat.

S

sidelineview

Rep teams will be chosen on the basis of these ''trial'' games, so the players should be fair dinkum.

Status
Not open for further replies.