• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2022

Flavio

Ward Prentice (10)
Barker fullback loves to run at full pace and put on huge side steps.
Except when he took the ball behind the tryline ran across the field got tackled and forced back, resulting in a subsequent Oakhill try. Was typical scrappy first hitout and the mud in the middle looked delicious. The ground keepers must cry when the rugby season starts

WLF2

Frank Row (1)
Any actual news? I assume Waverley has topped up its intake of junior Roosters? I assume most schools are still holding internal trials this week.
Well Hello Snorty,

Very nice to swallow your bait, but it is a game and I will, to further our discussions. ( More importantly great to hear form you again!)
Waverley do not have any new boys this year in the Opens, nor any other age groups that I can see, AND I can see.

Reading your proposed Trinity side, looks like the Green and White do have some names that are far from anglican but can really play footy, be careful, almost all the GPS and CAS schools these days have a few new boys. I am not a fan, but no school is a lone wolf!

WLF2

Frank Row (1)
With the 2021 CAS season meeting a sad but probably expected end, due to the impacts of the latest lockdown in the greater Sydney area, in a effort to look forwards with an optimistic attitude, I offer all interested parties the opportunity to express their thoughts on the 2022 season. Good luck everyone and to all students playing this wonderfull game.
G'Day Rod, GREAT to hear from you again,

Looks like this year will be very different, I suspect Barker and Knox will fight it out, Trinity may well be a dark horse, the others who knows!

WLF2

Frank Row (1)
Except when he took the ball behind the tryline ran across the field got tackled and forced back, resulting in a subsequent Oakhill try. Was typical scrappy first hitout and the mud in the middle looked delicious. The ground keepers must cry when the rugby season starts
G'day Flav, Tell us about Barker this year, it should be their year, although I suspect Knox will also be very good.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Well Hello Snorty,

Very nice to swallow your bait, but it is a game and I will, to further our discussions. ( More importantly great to hear form you again!)
Waverley do not have any new boys this year in the Opens, nor any other age groups that I can see, AND I can see.

Reading your proposed Trinity side, looks like the Green and White do have some names that are far from anglican but can really play footy, be careful, almost all the GPS and CAS schools these days have a few new boys. I am not a fan, but no school is a lone wolf!

Not actually having a shot at Waverley there: the Roosters arrangement has brought some interesting talent to the CAS competition in recent years. I think most of Trinity's non-Anglicans were also there last year, but there's no question that Trinity's 1st XV is, er, enhanced rather than natural. And I'm OK with that: otherwise, Trinity can't compete, and you get safety issues if you put out a team of striplings against some of the big units going around.

Grimey

Banned
Before making season predictions, can anyone Tell me if Barker have anymore new arrivals this year?

Mafalda Fuda

Bob McCowan (2)
Based on Barkers results in lower age groups they will need to recruit down the spectrum. Seems to be a large disconnect between the standard of the opens teams and those from the 16's down.

Come on ref

Allen Oxlade (6)
Well Hello Snorty,

The trinity boys you speak of have been at the school since yr7
And the parents have paid school fee’s from day 1.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
The trinity boys you speak of have been at the school since yr7
And the parents have paid school fee’s from day 1.

You seem well-informed. Care to share how the game ended up on Saturday (I had to leave at 19-0). That's some information we could all enjoy.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
It's an interesting season, because no-one knows anything. Since there was almost no Rugby played last season, it's hard to know who's strong and who isn't. My sense is that we'll have the usual split of Knox, Barker and Waverley fighting over the top three spots and Cranbrook, Trinity and St Aloysius battling on in the second tier. But who really knows? My impression of Trinity on the weekend was that they'll be decent, so maybe fourth. But without knowing how other sides are shaping, that's a pure guess. WLF: I'm onto you - I know your strategy of saying that it's not Waverley's year. But Waverley's always in the mix somewhere, we know that. Even when Waverley went seven years without winning in the 2010s, they were second more often than not.

Onside

Frank Nicholson (4)
Shore beat Waverley 26-7 in a pre-season match at Northbridge today (Thursday). Quite a surprise. Waverley usually hammer Shore over there. Shore looked pretty sharp. They've been in a slump for a long time.

Last edited:

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Shore beat Waverley 26-7 in a pre-season match at Northbridge today (Thursday). Quite a surprise. Waverley usually hammer Shore over there. Shore looked pretty sharp. They've been in a slump for a long time.
That's a big surprise.

Rudderless

Alex Ross (28)
Waverley travelled down the highway today to play in Canberra against Marist College in the under 16's at 11am, the 2nd's at 12.15pm and the 1st's at 1.30pm.

Would anyone have those results ?

Last edited:

Props are People too

Chris McKivat (8)
Will be interstitial g
Waverley headed down the highway today to play in Canberra against Marist College in the under 16's at 11am, the 2nd's at 12.15pm and the 1st's at 1.30pm.

Would anyone have those results ?
Will be interesting given the absolute shellacking that Joeys gave Marist last week.

Props are People too

Chris McKivat (8)
Just watched Knox v St Pats. Knox winning 21-0. Really strong first half from Knox but they lost a bit of cohesion when subs came on in the second half. The forwards were
dominant and in the backline 12 and 13 were v strong. For Pats the best players were 10 and 15, impressive as I think both are in year 10.

bring back rucking

Fred Wood (13)
Agree. Thought 6 was also impressive for Knox. Generally speaking Knox were bigger and had far more structure. To be honest it was difficult to get a gauge from this game, I suspect all will be revealed against Riverview next Saturday as to whether knox are genuine contenders or not. 12 and 13 as you mentioned are the real deal. They will be the CAS centres and likely higher honours from there… they combine exceptionally well.

Grimey

Banned
Agree. Thought 6 was also impressive for Knox. Generally speaking Knox were bigger and had far more structure. To be honest it was difficult to get a gauge from this game, I suspect all will be revealed against Riverview next Saturday as to whether knox are genuine contenders or not. 12 and 13 as you mentioned are the real deal. They will be the CAS centres and likely higher honours from there… they combine exceptionally well.
Riverview lost to Oakhill apparently.