• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2023

RugbyBot

Stan Wickham (3)
Good to see two Knox boys in the Aus team for the world schools sevens in NZ this weekend- John Ryan and Beau Morrison. Any other CAS boys there? Looks a great comp, hope it is streaming somewhere.

1670984199261.png

Attachments

• 1670984082059.png
    1670984082059.png
    463.7 KB · Views: 84

TheGhostWhoWalks

Allen Oxlade (6)
Hello ReadOrDead
How did you find out that he is underage?? I tend to disagree that it is ethical to repeat Yr12. It is despondent to be spending another year at high school in hopes of another CAS premiership. These boys should move on from school boy footy, get a job go to uni or go play cults. I would also assume the school is putting tremendous pressure on these boys to repeat which is unethical for the school to put pressure on these young impressionable young-men.

Barker needs to rethink their values. At what length will they not go to win CAS.
Ruckinator out.
Nudgee College do it all the time. A lot of the boys do a three year senior year 11 & 12 over three years just to play another 8 games of rugby. It makes absolutely no sense. These kids think they will all play Prem Colts when they come out of school but in reality it couldn’t be further from the truth.

TheGhostWhoWalks

Allen Oxlade (6)
I totally agree, just watching this teams gritty defence and flashy attack, the talent in this age cohort is second to none. I mean they belted the presumably biggest rivals (the Reds) by 30+. I am intrigued to see what happens the current u16 age group over the coming years, very deep class of players all with the necessary talent to take it somewhere seriously.
They pumped the Reds because the coach had no idea and was picking players out of position. There were at least 5-6 boys that were either on the Reds bench or not even in the match day 23 that should of started. I’m not saying they would’ve beaten the Tahs but it would of been a lot closer

RedOrDead

Ted Thorn (20)
Nudgee College do it all the time. A lot of the boys do a three year senior year 11 & 12 over three years just to play another 8 games of rugby. It makes absolutely no sense. These kids think they will all play Prem Colts when they come out of school but in reality it couldn’t be further from the truth.
Or… kids repeat to give themselves a better chance of succeeding academically whilst training at a high level… and is a decision made completely seperate from the school. Barker don’t just do this for rugby. They offer it to many high level athletes going through Barker (many of which in sports that don’t actually impact the school). They do this for the benefit of the individual… not the school. Most recently, one boy split his year 12 over two years to pursue diving. Have also seen swimmers do it as well as basketball, at other schools too. Trinity have offered it in the past, as have kings for example.

TheGhostWhoWalks

Allen Oxlade (6)
Or… kids repeat to give themselves a better chance of succeeding academically whilst training at a high level… and is a decision made completely seperate from the school. Barker don’t just do this for rugby. They offer it to many high level athletes going through Barker (many of which in sports that don’t actually impact the school). They do this for the benefit of the individual… not the school. Most recently, one boy split his year 12 over two years to pursue diving. Have also seen swimmers do it as well as basketball, at other schools too. Trinity have offered it in the past, as have kings for example.
Not the case at Nudgee they do it purely for the rugby

propsarespeedy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Great. Barker should follow the Joeys model! Kick out all the girls. No focus on the arts. Academics? Who needs that? Fill Hornsby with testosterone, boarding houses, and make everything rugby!

I hate to break it to you... but Barker is a school... A great school at that. Why would it want to imitate Joeys?

You are comparing a Co-Ed SCHOOL, a place that aims to educate (and does that very well) and to craft great young men and women, with a holistic experience of education... to a place that purely exists to pump out rugby talent, and to house wealthy country boys, who will take the opportunity for granted, not put a second of work in academically, and will return back to the farm.

It's silly.

Also... literally one boy has gone on to league... in the last 6 years... and you talk about it like Max Jorgensen hasn't signed a league contract... Joeys should drop him considering he's already committed to the NRL if that's your belief.
this aged terribly re Max Jorgensen

ap1

Allen Oxlade (6)
Charlie Poynton playing Harold Matts for Souths this year.
Presumably their wouldn't be many at that level (Gen Blue U16) who didn't play Harold Matthews??

I am not close to it, but quickly looking at the Souths team and I could see a few other names from the Gen Blue U16 team (Tovio, Le Maitre).

Not sure if it is 100% true, but someone mentioned to me that in one of the Gen Blue games last year, that the entire NSW backline that was on the field at the time all also played league.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Presumably their wouldn't be many at that level (Gen Blue U16) who didn't play Harold Matthews??

I am not close to it, but quickly looking at the Souths team and I could see a few other names from the Gen Blue U16 team (Tovio, Le Maitre).

Not sure if it is 100% true, but someone mentioned to me that in one of the Gen Blue games last year, that the entire NSW backline that was on the field at the time all also played league.
Alex Conti, Joe Walsh, Leo Jacques and Mitchell Woods all played in the NSW PSSA rugby team together and I believe all play both league and union.

Stag Stalwart

Bob McCowan (2)

Alex Conti, Matt Humphries, Joe Walsh, Zach Fitler, Leo Jacques, Casey Mclean, Mitch Woods, Charlie Poynton, Tylan Berryman, Charlie Heidke were all members of that Gen Blue Backline at some point and are all playing Harold Mats this year. Also a fair few from the forward pack playing Harold Mats.