• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2023

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
Apologies for having nothing to say about stuff Barker did a few years back, but does anyone know when trials get underway?
Hi Snort, the Trials start April 29. Very much over this banter about what Barker did or didn't do stuff, but I do hope we all don't see a whole new bunch of recruits suddenly turn up, from any school!

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
Predicted Waverley lineup with team they played in last year.

1. Pule (1st XV)
2. Dowling (1st XV)
3. Tangi (1sts/16a’s)
4. Poitaha (1st XV until injured)
5. Te Rata (1st XV but injured)
6. Tofaeono (2nd XV)
7. Aboud (16a’s)
8. Tofaeono (1st XV)
9. Stanfield (2nd XV)
10. Harris (1st XV)
11. Lyons (injured)
12. Patea (16a’s)
13. Capper (16a’s)
14. Fidel (1st XV)
15. Turinui (2nd XV)
I think your choices are really close except for 6 and 12, and the position of some boys here may well change.
The Trials will tell.

P.S. Don't forget the age groups intensity is a lot less than the Opens games, and there are quite a few boys now who will be playing their 2nd year in the Opens.

RugbyBot

Stan Wickham (3)
Hi Snort, the Trials start April 29. Very much over this banter about what Barker did or didn't do stuff, but I do hope we all don't see a whole new bunch of recruits suddenly turn up, from any school!
Barker is playing Knox in a trial this Saturday at Barker. 1st and 2nds.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
4 pages of going around in circles.

Sounds like Barker made an error, and it was pulled up as it should have been by RA. Hopefully Barker have learnt from it, and you can't get away with it anymore with everything being recorded and awareness of players, parents and spectators. In regard to the Doctor clearing him, I don't think it will supersede the sports protocol if it exists.

Last edited:

handswilldoit

Bob McCowan (2)
Going to be a good tight season. but I think Knox have got the grip on it,
1. Knox
2. barker
3. waves
4. Aloys
5. cranbrook
6. Trinity
Have I missed something on Aloys in the preseason? seen a few posts ranking them higher than I would have expected based on their performance last year.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Without knowing much, which in many parts of life makes one an expert, I think it could be a close and tight competition.

I think Cranbrook could be a big improver based on a youngish side last year and their 2nds.

Waverley will be Waverley - dangerous and competitive- and have some of the tougher opponents at home which will help.

Trinity a bit of a dark horse with some good players but they could struggle with depth.

Barker may drop a bit if they haven’t got a new cohort of players entering the school. Their firsts will be competitive but they didn’t show much in the lower grades last year.

I think everyone hopes that Aloys becomes stronger. They always have a few great players and give it a go, but have huge issues with depth.

Knox would be building for 2024 I would think.

workingdasnipe

Peter Burge (5)
Have I missed something on Aloys in the preseason? seen a few posts ranking them higher than I would have expected based on their performance last year.
Aloys have I believe 8 returning 1st XV players from 2022 and showed some great signs albeit not showing on the scoresheet. I have heard around the grounds that they have 80-odd boys signed up for opens... can anyone confirm?

Hopefully, they can reminisce the success they achieved in the past.

WDS

Thetynesideknight

Frank Row (1)
Aloys have I believe 8 returning 1st XV players from 2022 and showed some great signs albeit not showing on the scoresheet. I have heard around the grounds that they have 80-odd boys signed up for opens... can anyone confirm?

Hopefully, they can reminisce the success they achieved in the past.

WDS
That may be correct, but I just can't see enough depth in their squad to put up a fight above 6th place. The KNIGHT

Halfbackenthusiast

Ted Fahey (11)
a special last 2 rounds barker vs waves at barker and knox v barker at knox. I think cranbrook will be big dark-horses last year there 2nds were an incredibly strong side and a lot of that team should be returning and playing 1s.

Halfbackenthusiast

Ted Fahey (11)
Without knowing much, which in many parts of life makes one an expert, I think it could be a close and tight competition.

I think Cranbrook could be a big improver based on a youngish side last year and their 2nds.

Waverley will be Waverley - dangerous and competitive- and have some of the tougher opponents at home which will help.

Trinity a bit of a dark horse with some good players but they could struggle with depth.

Barker may drop a bit if they haven’t got a new cohort of players entering the school. Their firsts will be competitive but they didn’t show much in the lower grades last year.

I think everyone hopes that Aloys becomes stronger. They always have a few great players and give it a go, but have huge issues with depth.

Barker's 2nds were unlucky last year, the games they lost were all decided by missed conversions at the siren

RUCKS R US

Frank Nicholson (4)

Curious to see what impact the imports will have. Does anyone know of new imports to the schools? Showing the history of who gets the most scholarships this will have a major impact on the comp.

CAS Fanatic

Peter Burge (5)
Going to be a good tight season. but I think Knox have got the grip on it,
1. Knox
2. barker
3. waves
4. Aloys
5. cranbrook
6. Trinity
This is a joke, realistically Aloys are going to finish last again simply as they are not able to compete with the higher importing schools. Having them above both Cranbrook and Trinity makes no sense seeing from my knowledge their year 12s haven't won a CAS game in multiple years. I believe it will be a tight season for most schools even a possible shared prem as anyone can take a win on the day. I also think Cranbrook are going to be much more competitive than some think with their young 2s side from last year moving into the 1s after winning the comp outright last season. Let me know your thoughts.

Halfbackenthusiast

Ted Fahey (11)
This is a joke, realistically Aloys are going to finish last again simply as they are not able to compete with the higher importing schools. Having them above both Cranbrook and Trinity makes no sense seeing from my knowledge their year 12s haven't won a CAS game in multiple years. I believe it will be a tight season for most schools even a possible shared prem as anyone can take a win on the day. I also think Cranbrook are going to be much more competitive than some think with their young 2s side from last year moving into the 1s after winning the comp outright last season. Let me know your thoughts.
It's hard to break a losing culture, and by looking at who they're playing in trials (no 1st case or GPS schools) it's hard to see them making it out of the bottom.