• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2023

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
Can’t wait for barker v waverly this week at main oval, been far too long since waves have been to barker (at no fault of their own). I reckon waves will run out hot with a few early tries, but barker will take the points in a tough and physical match. Weather should be good, crowd will be big and it’s gonna be an absolute belter!!

G'Day H,

Well aware that this is one of your fav games, as it is mine, and as you know over the last 5-6 years these 2 teams have battled it out for bragging rights, with the exception of last year when it was Knox and Barker.

Choosing a winner is a tougher than normal choice IMO. 2021 (covid) Waves would have won at Barker, no doubt in my mind!

Clearly Barker have done some hard yards in the pre season v the GPS schools, with great results, and against I believe a Gordon colts side, so they are battle hardened, AND unbeaten so far this year!
The Waves have had a different journey, playing in Japan, early, then playing against a few strong GPS teams, and not going very well. However, over the last 3 games they have slowly strengthened their performances, winning all 3 games, primarily due to the fact that they have been able to amass their best side, bar a few players.

Both sides realize the importance of a win here, and both will be super pumped.
The weather will be great, the ground hard, so expansive footy should be the order of the day.

I can assure you that when you play Cranbrook, if you aren't at your best, they may well beat Barker!
Still not sure what this Waves side can really do, let's see.

Halfbackenthusiast

Ted Fahey (11)
G'Day H,

Well aware that this is one of your fav games, as it is mine, and as you know over the last 5-6 years these 2 teams have battled it out for bragging rights, with the exception of last year when it was Knox and Barker.

Choosing a winner is a tougher than normal choice IMO. 2021 (covid) Waves would have won at Barker, no doubt in my mind!

Clearly Barker have done some hard yards in the pre season v the GPS schools, with great results, and against I believe a Gordon colts side, so they are battle hardened, AND unbeaten so far this year!
The Waves have had a different journey, playing in Japan, early, then playing against a few strong GPS teams, and not going very well. However, over the last 3 games they have slowly strengthened their performances, winning all 3 games, primarily due to the fact that they have been able to amass their best side, bar a few players.

Both sides realize the importance of a win here, and both will be super pumped.
The weather will be great, the ground hard, so expansive footy should be the order of the day.

I can assure you that when you play Cranbrook, if you aren't at your best, they may well beat Barker!
Still not sure what this Waves side can really do, let's see.
Both teams will be well prepared, after the long weekend. Will be interesting to see how the waves boys who played state champs fare. None the less both teams go into the game evenly matched and any result possible. It’s also the last game for boys to prove themselves for CAS if they didn’t need any more motivation

Hankspank

Larry Dwyer (12)
This is a tough one H, I know you are VERY familiar with Kye but I think it will boil down to the types of front rowers the CAS want, ie are they both tight players, or do they want a tight player an a real ball runner like Kye.

Clearly Will Goddard and Ah Colt are terrific, haven't seen Will but did see a lot of Ac v the Waves and he was a standout.

It could be that this weekends games determine the front row result. Kye will be against a very tough Barker front row and pack.
The outcome of which may determine his standing in a CAS 1s team.
Young Hank has played with & against both of them at different times (and different codes) over the years WLF. Couldn't ask for more different playing styles than the 2 of them so agree it comes down to what the selectors are looking for. Personally would start with Will and bring Kye on for impact.

Lachie Goon

Allen Oxlade (6)
Young Hank has played with & against both of them at different times (and different codes) over the years WLF. Couldn't ask for more different playing styles than the 2 of them so agree it comes down to what the selectors are looking for. Personally would start with Will and bring Kye on for impact.
is young Hank the one pictured in you profile picture?

Halfbackenthusiast

Ted Fahey (11)
59175875-CEBF-4681-B216-A80552A5A836.jpeg

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
Both teams will be well prepared, after the long weekend. Will be interesting to see how the waves boys who played state champs fare. None the less both teams go into the game evenly matched and any result possible. It’s also the last game for boys to prove themselves for CAS if they didn’t need any more motivation

Nice photo H,

Just had a look at our joint rugby games for this weekend and sadly noticed that other than the 1sts, which are clearly the pin up boys, Barker only have 12 other Rugby teams, so many of the Waves teams either have a bye or will need to play another another school, if possible.

EXTREMELY sad given this is our CAS comp! I just REALLY hope your 2nds/3rds/4ths can compete, along with each A team in each age group, otherwise, if I were a Barker old boy, I would be furious and asking, other than the 1s does anyone care, and how long can the school be serious in competing in the CAS Rugby comp!

Whilst Aloys constantly cop this focus, for well known reasons, I believe Aloys may have beaten the Barker 3rds and the Barker 2nds weren't convincing at all v Aloys.

What are your thoughts about this situation and the future of Barker Rugby?

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
H,

I am not sure but I don't think that the CAS will have bench players, happy to be corrected.
If that is the case then you will be in the 2nd CAS team.
So yep off the bench but not completely fresh, which I think is fair, I don't believe any boy should be chosen in a team and only get 10-20 mins off the bench.
You clearly know the attributes of both boys better than me, I am well versed on Kye, so I guess it will boil down to what the selectors are looking for, and the make up of the GPS team they face this week.
I just hope they get it right, as in previous years, particularly in 2021, the CAS team was far stronger based on CAS/GPS games but the selectors got the front row completely wrong which led to a GPS win.

Jumping_jack

Ward Prentice (10)
Great to see Jonti M-F named for Waverley at 15. He will be pushing for that CAS 1st XV jersey, if not at 15 then in the centres for CAS 1sts even with only one game back. A huge in for a big game.

Ziggy

Allen Oxlade (6)
Nice photo H,

Just had a look at our joint rugby games for this weekend and sadly noticed that other than the 1sts, which are clearly the pin up boys, Barker only have 12 other Rugby teams, so many of the Waves teams either have a bye or will need to play another another school, if possible.

EXTREMELY sad given this is our CAS comp! I just REALLY hope your 2nds/3rds/4ths can compete, along with each A team in each age group, otherwise, if I were a Barker old boy, I would be furious and asking, other than the 1s does anyone care, and how long can the school be serious in competing in the CAS Rugby comp!

Whilst Aloys constantly cop this focus, for well known reasons, I believe Aloys may have beaten the Barker 3rds and the Barker 2nds weren't convincing at all v Aloys.
I made that observation as well. Looks like it may be in some serious trouble.

Apart from opens to 1sts to 4ths, only 16A's and B's on school grounds.
13As and Bs side at Cliff Oval (just wondering if they kept these games away from school grounds because they could get embarrassing).

Waverley has the following extra teams:
13Cs playing St Augs, 13Ds and Es playing Joeys Es and Gs.
Combined 14Ds and Es playing Joeys Fs
15Cs playing Joeys Cs
16Cs bye
No 5th XV because of 15 injured in opens but there are 4 reserves in 3rds and 9 reserves in 4ths.

DaSchmooze

Syd Malcolm (24)
I made that observation as well. Looks like it may be in some serious trouble.

Apart from opens to 1sts to 4ths, only 16A's and B's on school grounds.
13As and Bs side at Cliff Oval (just wondering if they kept these games away from school grounds because they could get embarrassing).

Waverley has the following extra teams:
13Cs playing St Augs, 13Ds and Es playing Joeys Es and Gs.
Combined 14Ds and Es playing Joeys Fs
15Cs playing Joeys Cs
16Cs bye
No 5th XV because of 15 injured in opens but there are 4 reserves in 3rds and 9 reserves in 4ths.
Small side note here but seeing that does make the whole "there should be schools of like for like in terms of numbers playing each other in their respective comps" a bit of a dead argument. Even whilst in season, sportsmasters have to schedule games against inter association teams and seem to have no difficulty in doing so.

Another interesting thing to see here is that having a strong 1st XV doesnt appear to be driving participation at Barker.

Halfbackenthusiast

Ted Fahey (11)
Nice photo H,

I have mixed thoughts, I would love for barker to have 5 teams in each age group all of which are competitive but at the end of the day you can’t force kids to play a sport they don’t want to it’s good for no one. I have seen some very talented players in a lot of the As side, especially the 14s look to be quite strong. I agree with a lot of your points, I don’t think scholarships are a long term solution and so the future of the program with the amount of teams is slightly worrying. However, I’ve seen great signs in a new development in the coaching programs, 16As now have a preseason and it’s not just the top players who do 1s and 2s preseason that are benefiting. A number of 15s boys are in the 16s side. There’s no instant solution so this will all take time, 9 of the 15 boys who are playing 1sts started in yr 7, and I see massive improvement from year to year in a number of these boys so despite there clearly being some areas of concerns I still remain optimistic