• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2023

Zinc86

Frank Row (1)
so what your saying is that the kids from Waverley have matured earlier than their peers and such are bigger, faster, stronger. So why dont we give it 3 years and see how dominate they are..... who actually cares about what happens in the 13-15's so much of the results are determined by the physical attributes of the kids and has little to do with their skill as a rugby player.
your probably just mad your sons team got pumped by a group of kids who got told to go easy by there coach before the game started

2 + 2

Allen Oxlade (6)
your probably just mad your sons team got pumped by a group of kids who got told to go easy by there coach before the game started
nah what i'm saying is that did they win because they are the best rugby team or because they are bigger/faster/stronger....

Jumping_jack

Ward Prentice (10)
In regards to CAS selections. I just hope the selectors don’t appoint u16’s into the opens again like they did last year. It was not fair to the students and the result was made worse by the selection.

I watched the CAS u16’s yesterday and there did not appear to be anyone up to that next level.

And hopefully this year, for the first time they actually pick props at the correct spot.. the fact they keep picking tight heads to play and loose at tight shows a real lack of knowledge

RedOrDead

Ted Thorn (20)
In regards to CAS selections. I just hope the selectors don’t appoint u16’s into the opens again like they did last year. It was not fair to the students and the result was made worse by the selection.

Best player at each position should be picked regardless of age. Poynton just ended up being the wrong selection last year. Saunders was picked at 13 and he probably should have been picked at 15. But he had already played a lot of 13 during that season. Towns was the next best fullback, and he didn't deserve it, especially with his attitude problems.

This scenario doesn't necessarily mean we shouldn't pick u16 year olds.

Doesn't matter. I don't think anyone underaged gets picked this year unless Deane get's picked.

Halfbackenthusiast

Ted Fahey (11)
Best player at each position should be picked regardless of age. Poynton just ended up being the wrong selection last year. Saunders was picked at 13 and he probably should have been picked at 15. But he had already played a lot of 13 during that season. Towns was the next best fullback, and he didn't deserve it, especially with his attitude problems.

This scenario doesn't necessarily mean we shouldn't pick u16 year olds.

Doesn't matter. I don't think anyone underaged gets picked this year unless Deane get's picked.
Poynton was picked off strong performances against weaker sides apart from Riverview. He wasn’t in a position to go into a physical game like that. That’s why the competition the player has played against this season is so important in selection

Lachie Goon

Allen Oxlade (6)
download-1.jpg

unbanned in time for the long weekend!!!!

locallegend69

Frank Row (1)
Thought I'd give a CAS 1sts team a crack. My predictions are based on last year's 1st's and 2nd's teams and from what I know (which is not a whole lot in regard to some of the schools). Please also note that some of these players may not be currently fit and I am not aware.

1. McKinnon (KGS)
2. Meagher? (TGS)
3. Ah-Colt (CS)/Goddard (KGS)
4. Ericsson (KGS)
5. Van Wyk (BC)
6. Mackenzie (CS)
7. Aboud (WC)
8. Jackson (CS)/Talaileva (BC)
9. Hatten-Ward (TGS)/Patterson (CS)
10. Patea? (WC)/Jecks (KGS)
11. Turinui (WC)
12. Enasio (KGS)
13. McDonald (BC)
14. Chandler-Sullivan (BC)
15. Poynton (BC)

A few points:
- Hooker: I know very little about the hookers this year. First choice would be Meagher but unsure about fitness, hence the question mark
- Prop: Goddard the incumbent, but Ah-Colt looks very strong this year and is a workhorse - can Goddard play loosehead to fit them both in?
- Lock: Jackson was in the CAS 2nd's last year but have also seen Talaileva in other predicted sides
- Scrumhalf: Hatten-Ward in CAS 2's last year, Patterson has been strong for Cranbrook this year
- Flyhalf: Seen Patea in other predicted sides but didn't see him on Sat - is he injured? Have also seen Jecks in predicted sides
- Wing: Turinui was one of Waverley's best on Sat so I had to fit him in - goal kicking is also very good

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts
Definitely putting Ah-Colt in the 1s, moves like he's carrying around 75kg, hits and runs like he's 110, really really good. Great leadership in a transformed Cranbrook team this year. Intrigued to see too what is going on for him for rugby post-school, would love to see him pull on the baby blue Waratah's jersey at some point.

Also Cranbrook 4, Girle, has looked unreal this season so far. Traditional, consistent, reliable. Big frame and a work horse. There's no ego to his game and plays bloody hard. Certainly one to watch for selectors I reckon. I think he is VC this year.

Jackson is a definite to play 8, or even anywhere in the back row / 2 row. Great ball skills, offloads well, work horse. Great player to watch and handy with the ball on foot!!!! Plays like a 10 at times. Very impressive player. Haven't seen much of Talaileva unfortunately.

JackJill

Sydney Middleton (9)
Definitely putting Ah-Colt in the 1s, moves like he's carrying around 75kg, hits and runs like he's 110, really really good. Great leadership in a transformed Cranbrook team this year. Intrigued to see too what is going on for him for rugby post-school, would love to see him pull on the baby blue Waratah's jersey at some point.

Also Cranbrook 4, Girle, has looked unreal this season so far. Traditional, consistent, reliable. Big frame and a work horse. There's no ego to his game and plays bloody hard. Certainly one to watch for selectors I reckon. I think he is VC this year.

Jackson is a definite to play 8, or even anywhere in the back row / 2 row. Great ball skills, offloads well, work horse. Great player to watch and handy with the ball on foot!!!! Plays like a 10 at times. Very impressive player. Haven't seen much of Talaileva unfortunately.
Personally, I wouldn't put Talaieva there. Going up against what looks like a stacked massive GPS forward pack while only being in u16 is something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. And if he does get picked they'll target him to run at. Now don't get me wrong the boy is a really really good player, playing well above his age against stiff competition and taking the hits while also giving them back. But there is a reason majority of the forwards picked are in year 12. In saying that though, his time will come, as I said he's a gun player for Barker and CAS and is dangerous with the ball in hand, it's the selector's call now. When does the actual CAS team get announced?

Halfbackenthusiast

Ted Fahey (11)
Personally, I wouldn't put Talaieva there. Going up against what looks like a stacked massive GPS forward pack while only being in u16 is something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. And if he does get picked they'll target him to run at. Now don't get me wrong the boy is a really really good player, playing well above his age against stiff competition and taking the hits while also giving them back. But there is a reason majority of the forwards picked are in year 12. In saying that though, his time will come, as I said he's a gun player for Barker and CAS and is dangerous with the ball in hand, it's the selector's call now. When does the actual CAS team get announced?
Agreed, I believe Ryan, Morrison and aboud are the best back towers in CAS and will be most comfortable against GPS with their pre season draw

scrumhead99

Sydney Middleton (9)
I believe that the CAS 1st XV and 2nd XV come out on the evening of June 17th

The CAS U16 team comes out on the evening of June 18th.

Not long to go.