• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2023

Halfbackenthusiast

Ted Fahey (11)
Thought I'd give a CAS 1sts team a crack. My predictions are based on last year's 1st's and 2nd's teams and from what I know (which is not a whole lot in regard to some of the schools). Please also note that some of these players may not be currently fit and I am not aware.

1. McKinnon (KGS)
2. Meagher? (TGS)
3. Ah-Colt (CS)/Goddard (KGS)
4. Ericsson (KGS)
5. Van Wyk (BC)
6. Mackenzie (CS)
7. Aboud (WC)
8. Jackson (CS)/Talaileva (BC)
9. Hatten-Ward (TGS)/Patterson (CS)
10. Patea? (WC)/Jecks (KGS)
11. Turinui (WC)
12. Enasio (KGS)
13. McDonald (BC)
14. Chandler-Sullivan (BC)
15. Poynton (BC)

A few points:
- Hooker: I know very little about the hookers this year. First choice would be Meagher but unsure about fitness, hence the question mark
- Prop: Goddard the incumbent, but Ah-Colt looks very strong this year and is a workhorse - can Goddard play loosehead to fit them both in?
- Lock: Jackson was in the CAS 2nd's last year but have also seen Talaileva in other predicted sides
- Scrumhalf: Hatten-Ward in CAS 2's last year, Patterson has been strong for Cranbrook this year
- Flyhalf: Seen Patea in other predicted sides but didn't see him on Sat - is he injured? Have also seen Jecks in predicted sides
- Wing: Turinui was one of Waverley's best on Sat so I had to fit him in - goal kicking is also very good

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts
Ryan for knox has to be somewhere in the back row, gen blue Nsw 7s, Knox are the top team at the moment having had the toughest trials

RedOrDead

Ted Thorn (20)
I think it’s the coaches that pick the captains.. the coaches are all from Barker and Barker have only ever selected Barker kids to be captain.. so I imagine it will be the same in 2023. Which would be such a huge disappointment.

I will say the last few years there were some very obvious choices from Barker being picked for captain. Like last year for example Hooper was the obvious choice. Pollard was also captain in 2019 I believe and that was once again the obvious choice for example.

RedOrDead

Ted Thorn (20)
Thought I'd give a CAS 1sts team a crack. My predictions are based on last year's 1st's and 2nd's teams and from what I know (which is not a whole lot in regard to some of the schools). Please also note that some of these players may not be currently fit and I am not aware.

1. McKinnon (KGS)
2. Meagher? (TGS)
4. Ericsson (KGS)
5. Van Wyk (BC)
6. Mackenzie (CS)
7. Aboud (WC)
11. Turinui (WC)
12. Enasio (KGS)
13. McDonald (BC)
15. Poynton (BC)

I think Meagher is out for the year is he not? Otherwise definitely would be my pick.

Ryan from Knox deserves the 7 spot IMO so far, unless you move Mackemzie to 8, and play Aboud and Ryan at 6 and 7.

Deane probably deserves the 10 jersey so far IMO, I think he is the best game managing 10 in the CAS and I tend to lean towards game managing 10's.

Nick Hill will undoubtedly claim a prop jersey. However, he is a tight-head. So is Ah-Colt. If it comes down to it Nick Hill gets that jersey over Ah-Colt. Obviously they will try and find a way to include them both.

I think Wheals (BC) so far gets the pick over McDonald based purely off form thus far. Would definitely say McDonald has the talent and the name though. Think he will definitely reclaim the spot in my eyes.

JackJill

Sydney Middleton (9)
I think Meagher is out for the year is he not? Otherwise definitely would be my pick.

Ryan from Knox deserves the 7 spot IMO so far, unless you move Mackemzie to 8, and play Aboud and Ryan at 6 and 7.

Deane probably deserves the 10 jersey so far IMO, I think he is the best game managing 10 in the CAS and I tend to lean towards game managing 10's.

Nick Hill will undoubtedly claim a prop jersey. However, he is a tight-head. So is Ah-Colt. If it comes down to it Nick Hill gets that jersey over Ah-Colt. Obviously they will try and find a way to include them both.

I think Wheals (BC) so far gets the pick over McDonald based purely off form thus far. Would definitely say McDonald has the talent and the name though. Think he will definitely reclaim the spot in my eyes.

Ah-Colt has to be the tighthead. He is such a workhorse for Brook. Tough barnstorming runs right up the guts of the defense, big hits to shift momentum, ball skills, good scrummager, and plays with a ton of passion. Off that basis, I'd put him on the team. He does have Goddard, Hill, and Pule right behind him, but he just brings a gritty performance wherever he plays. Selectors will have fun selecting this team though, so many tough choices.

Halfbackenthusiast

Ted Fahey (11)

Hill can play loosehead, played there against aloys and stannies. Him and Goddard would match the massive gps front row which will come from newington and kings

Halfbackenthusiast

Ted Fahey (11)

1. McKinnon (KGS)
2. Meagher? (TGS)
4. Ericsson (KGS)
5. Van Wyk (BC)
6. Mackenzie (CS)
7. Aboud (WC)
11. Turinui (WC)
12. Enasio (KGS)
13. McDonald (BC)
15. Poynton (BC)

A few points:
- Hooker: I know very little about the hookers this year. First choice would be Meagher but unsure about fitness, hence the question mark
- Prop: Goddard the incumbent, but Ah-Colt looks very strong this year and is a workhorse - can Goddard play loosehead to fit them both in?
- Lock: Jackson was in the CAS 2nd's last year but have also seen Talaileva in other predicted sides
- Scrumhalf: Hatten-Ward in CAS 2's last year, Patterson has been strong for Cranbrook this year
- Flyhalf: Seen Patea in other predicted sides but didn't see him on Sat - is he injured? Have also seen Jecks in predicted sides
- Wing: Turinui was one of Waverley's best on Sat so I had to fit him in - goal kicking is also very good

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts
I don’t think Chandler-Sullivan should be picked on the wing, he’s a half-back. His defence will be targeted. He’s scored a lot of tries but that’s been playing on the left side which is barkers favoured side to attack. I’d pick either one of the knox wingers or even Ben Blanchard, strong defender and ball carrier. Drew wheals could maybe even play on the wing as well

RugbyTID

Bob McCowan (2)
From a Waverley perspective- Patea has been poor and while he was injured on the weekend, the team worked better with Turinui at 10. I don’t think he can be CAS 10. Turinui might be an option.
Completely disagree, Patea hasn't been playing to his ability that we all know is remarkable this is due to a number of factors including an ongoing injury that has ruled him out the past few weeks, and also he is still fitting into a new environment. I believe once he is back at 10 even better things will happen to this Waverley team. Turinui has been performing poorly since the start of the season as his aimless kicking didn't allow for them to play to their strengths.

Furthermore, with the addition of Capper, Patea and Jonti M-F, I do not see a spot for him in the Waverley 1st XV let alone a CAS side. I believe the CAS five eight position should either go to Caleb Sinclair-Harris or Troy Patea. Turinui is also unable to play wing as he isn't defensively capable along with his lack of speed.

Don't get me wrong though, he is a very good rugby player, but I just believe there is too much hype around him, I'm not sure if this is because of his last name or the Waverley bias on this forum.

guntzinator

Banned
My predicted CAS 1XV
1. Pule
2. Dowling
3. Hill
4. Van wyk
5. Girlie
6. Mackenzie
7. Aboud
8. Ryan
9. Hatton ward or Standfield?
10. Deene
11. Chandler-Sullivan
12. Patea
13. Tovio
14. lyons
15. Poyton

Let me know your opinions?

Norman burns

Bob McCowan (2)
On the 6th of June 2023, I was devastated to come to the conclusion that a marvellous rugby player will not get the just opportunity he deserves to represent the CAS U16s. The St Aloysius winger who has been playing 1's and 2's throughout this season has not been selected for the CAS U16 trials. Personally he had a wonderful and gritty performance against Barker last Saturday prevailing in his ruck work and movement of the ball in and out of hand. With this saddening news I believe that good talent is being overlooked which may or may not be bias.

With a personal note directed towards the St Aloysius winger: Keep your head up buddy and in the next year or two I know you will be there making a CAS 1xv spot for sure.

Norman Burns.

Dads Army

Frank Row (1)
52-7 Baker over Aloys: an excellent win by Barker and no one should get carried away with comparing this to how many points BC put on SAC in the last 2 fixtures.

Barker’s backline looked incredibly threatening every time it went through the hands. The centres are amazing, and the #13 is really something else. All the backs were slick, skilful, professional looking. Barker’s forwards were a menace, the tight five and the two props in particular. But they do need to work on a few things: (a) discipline which let them down, (b) individual decision making around the park (not from #10 though, he was excellent) and (c) responding to pressure. It's probably all one thing – they clearly expected to put 90 plus on SAC as Katoa's teams had done, and when it didn’t happen they weren’t happy and got frustrated. Both the #15s were under pressure all day, SACs from the kicks and chases, BCs from his own expectations and it told. There are obviously better CAS sides out there than SAC, so BC will need to deal with that. But returning to the first point, their backline looked as good and skilful and functional as any of seen at this level by me (and it did appear their usual #9 was out too and running the kicking tee instead). I believe the #10 is quite young. Big shoes, but he's already good and will be very, very good I'd guess.

SAC despite the score probably played as well as a unit of all the games I’ve seen this season. I'd say the gap in skill and effectiveness between their known top 3 or 4 players and everyone else in the side was much less noticeable. Yes, there were dropped balls and some stilted play in the backs, but they defended purposefully and clearly executed the game plan they were given. Made good decisions for the most (especially #12's quick tap for the try). They were never going to threaten BC properly (and I'm sure loved leading 7-5 for a small fraction of time), but hung in there and played to the best of their ability.

Aloys aren't going to be threatening titles, but they can be competitive enough at times. While I've not watched the Youtube 2015 videos of BC v SAC that are on the last couple of pages someone has been putting up, I remember watching games that year. A good non-numerical indicator of it not being really that long ago is that the current 2023 winger's brother was the 2015 winger (and his twin the #7 that year).

But depth will be an issue. A few injuries already, and if that gets worse it will be pretty tough. The Peter Murray Memorial Trophy match against Knox will be a difficult onslaught to stem, but hopefully the Term 3 matches will allow them to punch on a little.
Hi Hector,
While BC are a very well drilled team with plenty of imports, I believe the scoreline and your summary flatters Barker's performance. It was 24-7 at halftime and Aloys foolishly passed up 2 easy penalty goals, much to the dismay of all the Aloys supporters at the ground - it should have been 24-13 at the break. BC didn't score anything till about 15mins remaining in the game and then piled on 28 points on a very tired and injured Aloys team. Key Aloys players came off injured and the overwhelming possession and field position took its toll. Make no mistake BC were the far better team - they looked fitter, stronger and better drilled, but thats no surprise considering they ONLY train rugby all off season with professional coaches/program at world class facilities.

You are right about BC centres - they are massive and very strong ball runners, but lack skill when passing the ball / executing set plays. Alot of people are waxing lyrical about their 13, but from what I saw their 12 is the star. A huge, athletic kid and I'd be surprised if there is a more damaging ball runner in the CAS comp. The 9 was ok, but made plenty of mistakes; the 10 was solid - he kicked and passed the ball well, but posed little threat to the defensive line. He is clearly talented, but also very young and will not feature on opposition tip sheets this season. The wingers were small and had little impact and made many mistakes. The fullback also had very little impact, which I believe was attributed to Aloys defence in the outside backs. BC forwards very, very good. They are a well drilled unit and exceptional defenders. They are extremely well coached and are key to BC having any chances of winning CAS.

With 2 boys now at Aloys, I've just started to get involved again watching schoolboys rugby and have seen a few Aloys 1sts matches this year. Obviously, with the schools reputation I didn't expect much from Aloys 1s. But, I must say it has been a surprised how much spirit this group play with and how hard they work for each other. The forward pack are no nonsense and play without fear or respect for the opposition. They are very competitive in the set pieces and demand respect from the opposition pack. When there was a scuffle the whole team ran in from everywhere to back their team mate up - it's clear there is a strong belief they can compete with anyone. I was most impressed with Aloys 12 and 13 considering the calibre of player they were marking and the size difference they gave away. They either chopped them down at the set piece or slid perfectly when being stripped of numbers often herding BC outside against the sideline - this is what I believe reduced the impact BC very talented fullback. TBH most games I've seen this season all the big plays for Aloys come from these 2 players, but I'm sure if Aloys had as much coaching, S&C and preparation as the schools they compete against they would perform with far greater continuity as a team.

Depth at BC rugby is clearly an issue considering they lost the 3s and only had a tight win over Aloys 2s. They will need to be very lucky with injuries to win CAS, which I'm pretty sure they won't from what I witnessed last week v Aloys..... Time will tell.

Good luck to all the schools and their players for the remainder of the season.

bring back rucking

Fred Wood (13)
My predicted CAS 1XV
1. Pule
2. Dowling
3. Hill
4. Van wyk
5. Girlie
6. Mackenzie
7. Aboud
8. Ryan
9. Hatton ward or Standfield?
10. Deene
11. Chandler-Sullivan
12. Patea
13. Tovio
14. lyons
15. Poyton

Let me know your opinions?
One Knox player? I’d think not - likely McKinnon, Goddard, Ericsson, Ryan, Enasio and possibly Roach and Turner although both year 11

bill clune

Bob McCowan (2)
Hi Hector,
While BC are a very well drilled team with plenty of imports, I believe the scoreline and your summary flatters Barker's performance. It was 24-7 at halftime and Aloys foolishly passed up 2 easy penalty goals, much to the dismay of all the Aloys supporters at the ground - it should have been 24-13 at the break. BC didn't score anything till about 15mins remaining in the game and then piled on 28 points on a very tired and injured Aloys team. Key Aloys players came off injured and the overwhelming possession and field position took its toll. Make no mistake BC were the far better team - they looked fitter, stronger and better drilled, but thats no surprise considering they ONLY train rugby all off season with professional coaches/program at world class facilities.

You are right about BC centres - they are massive and very strong ball runners, but lack skill when passing the ball / executing set plays. Alot of people are waxing lyrical about their 13, but from what I saw their 12 is the star. A huge, athletic kid and I'd be surprised if there is a more damaging ball runner in the CAS comp. The 9 was ok, but made plenty of mistakes; the 10 was solid - he kicked and passed the ball well, but posed little threat to the defensive line. He is clearly talented, but also very young and will not feature on opposition tip sheets this season. The wingers were small and had little impact and made many mistakes. The fullback also had very little impact, which I believe was attributed to Aloys defence in the outside backs. BC forwards very, very good. They are a well drilled unit and exceptional defenders. They are extremely well coached and are key to BC having any chances of winning CAS.

With 2 boys now at Aloys, I've just started to get involved again watching schoolboys rugby and have seen a few Aloys 1sts matches this year. Obviously, with the schools reputation I didn't expect much from Aloys 1s. But, I must say it has been a surprised how much spirit this group play with and how hard they work for each other. The forward pack are no nonsense and play without fear or respect for the opposition. They are very competitive in the set pieces and demand respect from the opposition pack. When there was a scuffle the whole team ran in from everywhere to back their team mate up - it's clear there is a strong belief they can compete with anyone. I was most impressed with Aloys 12 and 13 considering the calibre of player they were marking and the size difference they gave away. They either chopped them down at the set piece or slid perfectly when being stripped of numbers often herding BC outside against the sideline - this is what I believe reduced the impact BC very talented fullback. TBH most games I've seen this season all the big plays for Aloys come from these 2 players, but I'm sure if Aloys had as much coaching, S&C and preparation as the schools they compete against they would perform with far greater continuity as a team.

Depth at BC rugby is clearly an issue considering they lost the 3s and only had a tight win over Aloys 2s. They will need to be very lucky with injuries to win CAS, which I'm pretty sure they won't from what I witnessed last week v Aloys..... Time will tell.

Good luck to all the schools and their players for the remainder of the season.
Don't think anyone is going to read that champ.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Your problem here mate is the fact you are using logic. When have rep teams EVER used this well. Reputation by far trumps logic and even form a lot of the time in these teams.

I'm hoping the increased number of game pre selection this season will give opportunity for both sides to be the most worthy selections we've seen in some time.

Homer

Ted Fahey (11)
Ah-Colt has to be the tighthead. He is such a workhorse for Brook. Tough barnstorming runs right up the guts of the defense, big hits to shift momentum, ball skills, good scrummager, and plays with a ton of passion. Off that basis, I'd put him on the team. He does have Goddard, Hill, and Pule right behind him, but he just brings a gritty performance wherever he plays. Selectors will have fun selecting this team though, so many tough choices.
Goddard played CAS 1s and Australia A last year. Ah-Colt was a reserve for CAS i think. Goddard has scored at least 7 tries this year and has destroyed every scrum he has come against (playing 80 mins each game), and I believe Knox had the toughest pre-season of the CAS schools with Joeys, Shore, Oakhill and Auggies.

I know there is not much love for Knox on this forum but they have been outstanding over the last few weeks putting 50+ on solid teams and on current form will have a strong presence in the CAS 1s.

However, it is unfortunate that selections are done before some big term 3 games where the key match-ups could decide the comp.

Eyes Up Footy

Allen Oxlade (6)

workingdasnipe

Peter Burge (5)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-06-07 at 12.27.06 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-07 at 12.27.06 pm.png
    726.5 KB · Views: 340