• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2023

Rugbynbeers

Bill Watson (15)
From memory this year 12 group was quite week in there 16S cas team, They lost to Pres b side to make the grand final. And it was a pres A vs Pres B grand final which was never played due to rain.

so I would assume the Cas team would be dominated by year 11 boys ? Players apart of the 16s cas team last year who beat Pres A side in a gf.

That’s my understanding of the Cas teams right now, haven’t watched much cas footy this year though so could someone help guide me if I’m right or wrong ?

Jumping_jack

Ward Prentice (10)
From memory this year 12 group was quite week in there 16S cas team, They lost to Pres b side to make the grand final. And it was a pres A vs Pres B grand final which was never played due to rain.

so I would assume the Cas team would be dominated by year 11 boys ? Players apart of the 16s cas team last year who beat Pres A side in a gf.

That’s my understanding of the Cas teams right now, haven’t watched much cas footy this year though so could someone help guide me if I’m right or wrong ?
There are a lot of new bodies that weren’t there for that CAS team. So the make up will be different.

I understand the Barker guys pushing an u16’s kid. But it’s just not the reality.
A 15 year old kid, is not one of the best u18’s players in the state. And that’s what you have to be to make CAS 1sts these days.

Ziggy

Allen Oxlade (6)
Definitely putting Ah-Colt in the 1s, moves like he's carrying around 75kg, hits and runs like he's 110, really really good. Great leadership in a transformed Cranbrook team this year. Intrigued to see too what is going on for him for rugby post-school, would love to see him pull on the baby blue Waratah's jersey at some point.

Also Cranbrook 4, Girle, has looked unreal this season so far. Traditional, consistent, reliable. Big frame and a work horse. There's no ego to his game and plays bloody hard. Certainly one to watch for selectors I reckon. I think he is VC this year.

Jackson is a definite to play 8, or even anywhere in the back row / 2 row. Great ball skills, offloads well, work horse. Great player to watch and handy with the ball on foot!!!! Plays like a 10 at times. Very impressive player. Haven't seen much of Talaileva unfortunately.
Does anyone know if Ah-Colt played for any of the district sides at the State Champs that finished up today?

JackJill

Sydney Middleton (9)

The strongest year 12s I have noticed should make up the majority of the pack. Key names:
Jackson (back 3) Cranbrook
Girle (2 row) Cranbrook
Ah-Colt (prop) Cranbrook
Van-Wyk (2 row) Barker
Ericsson (2 row) Knox
Goddard (prop) Knox
Mckinnon (prop) Knox
Ryan (back three) Knox

BlackBlue

Stan Wickham (3)
Does anyone know if Ah-Colt played for any of the district sides at the State Champs that finished up today?
Not that I could see on the U16 programme. There were a few Waverley boys in the Randwick side. 7 Knox boys and a few Barker boys in the Gordon team that won the Sydney cup and State Championship for the second year in a row..If CAS u16 pick the best boys for the positions then should be very competitive against GPS this year

Jumping_jack

Ward Prentice (10)
Not that I could see on the U16 programme. There were a few Waverley boys in the Randwick side. 7 Knox boys and a few Barker boys in the Gordon team that won the Sydney cup and State Championship for the second year in a row..If CAS u16 pick the best boys for the positions then should be very competitive against GPS this year
The u18’s Randwick team won undefeated - which was basically the Waverley firsts and seconds squad. So will be interesting to see if the same applies for opens.

Hankspank

Larry Dwyer (12)
The u18’s Randwick team won undefeated - which was basically the Waverley firsts and seconds squad. So will be interesting to see if the same applies for opens.
Two good games against Eastwood for Sydney Shield and then State Cup final. 1 try difference in both games. Both quality games. From watching this age division over the years I'd like CAS followers input between Kye & Will Goddard. Both very good but very different players. Not involved in the CAS world so this is purely from watching these boys develop into the good young blokes and players that they are. Hopefully both of them are in the CAS 1's either starting or bench because they bring plenty to the table. Ah Colt with those 2 gives you plenty of punch

Ziggy

Allen Oxlade (6)
100%
Randwick came 3rd in 16s

JohnnyOhns

Stan Wickham (3)
The strongest year 12s I have noticed should make up the majority of the pack. Key names:
Jackson (back 3) Cranbrook
Girle (2 row) Cranbrook
Ah-Colt (prop) Cranbrook
Van-Wyk (2 row) Barker
Ericsson (2 row) Knox
Goddard (prop) Knox
Mckinnon (prop) Knox
Ryan (back three) Knox
I've heard reports out of Cranbrook that Tom Girle has broken his arm and is missing the rest of the season. This is a massive loss for Cranbrook and CAS 1's team if true. Can anyone confirm?

The Phantoms

Peter Burge (5)
Hey RoD, personally I wouldn't refuse this either.

However, I think it just adds to the skill gap problems that have been mentioned previously. For instance, the bottom ISA teams would not and will never be able to compete with the likes of Knox and Barker. As we have seen in the trials, the only schools that could compete evenly in the CAS would be St Augustine's and Oakhill (even still, Knox put 50 on Oakhill a few weeks ago).

BUT, it does create fairer competition between the bottom schools which means the likes of Aloys, Kinross, and Pius wouldn't be running out to get smashed every week. I think Rugby AU needs to take this into serious consideration.
Interesting notion, certainly has merit... still wouldn't stop top CAS schools poaching top ISA players from country schools.

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
There were 3 Joeys boys and at least 3 or 4 View boys in the Gordon 16’s team. Last year there was 8 joeys boys but those missing are either injured or playing opens (or both). There would have been a kings boy as well bar injury. Point is, there isn’t much read through for CAS vs GPS.

Halfbackenthusiast

Ted Fahey (11)
Predictions?
Can’t wait for barker v waverly this week at main oval, been far too long since waves have been to barker (at no fault of their own). I reckon waves will run out hot with a few early tries, but barker will take the points in a tough and physical match. Weather should be good, crowd will be big and it’s gonna be an absolute belter!!

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
Two good games against Eastwood for Sydney Shield and then State Cup final. 1 try difference in both games. Both quality games. From watching this age division over the years I'd like CAS followers input between Kye & Will Goddard. Both very good but very different players. Not involved in the CAS world so this is purely from watching these boys develop into the good young blokes and players that they are. Hopefully both of them are in the CAS 1's either starting or bench because they bring plenty to the table. Ah Colt with those 2 gives you plenty of punch
This is a tough one H, I know you are VERY familiar with Kye but I think it will boil down to the types of front rowers the CAS want, ie are they both tight players, or do they want a tight player an a real ball runner like Kye.

Clearly Will Goddard and Ah Colt are terrific, haven't seen Will but did see a lot of Ac v the Waves and he was a standout.

It could be that this weekends games determine the front row result. Kye will be against a very tough Barker front row and pack.
The outcome of which may determine his standing in a CAS 1s team.