• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2023

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
2022 was another good year for CAS rugby, following the cancellation of the 2021 season. It was close again with Barker and Knox showing that CAS rugby is closing the gap on our GPS colleagues, with Waves right in the mix. A win for the Cranbrook seconds in 2022 should see the 2023 season be another competitive competition. Welcome all and lets hope for another cracking season of schoolboy rugby.

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
I'm told Barker won't be as strong next year. Depending on how many year 11 boys in the Cranbrook seconds this year, they could be handy.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Knox will be strong again, with the two Aus A props, Gen Blue second rower and Enasio in the centres all returning, plus a very successful 16A contingent coming through.
It can be hard to say how sides develop. For a while Knox A sides that were unbeaten in the lower ages became a little ordinary in the Firsts - though coaching and selections in the opens might have played a part there. Also some schools tend to develop players quite imaginatively in years 10 - 12.

Though you would think Knox would be wanting to be very strong for 2024?

ilovescrume63850

Frank Row (1)

I'm told Barker won't be as strong next year. Depending on how many year 11 boys in the Cranbrook seconds this year, they could be handy.
First time poster here,

I’m a barker old boy of a few years (2012) and have enjoyed the season just past with the mighty reds triumphing over their rivals, Knox.

I’ve heard quite the opposite here with many players in year 11 and below being picked in Gen blue and representative teams. Players like Nick Hill, Charlie Poynton, Matt Hanley and Hamish Macdonald being around next year. U18s Gen blue prospect Adam Van Wyk is also returning for another year in the red and will be leading their forward pack.

Looking forward to an exciting competition next year!

Homer

Ted Fahey (11)
Knox will be very strong up front with Goddard, Mckinnon, Morrison, Ericsson and Jay Harris etc. Backs could be the weakness with no size at all.
Barker recruited a few this year who will return but losing katoa will hurt bad. Such a calm influence on his team and the ability to kick them out of trouble from anywhere.
Knox 2nds to win the comp though.

RedOrDead

Ted Thorn (20)
Hi all,

Barker is heading to Nudgee College in Brisbane in the next 2 weeks, fully funded by the ARU. It should be a great game. Interestingly enough the ARU had initially contacted Joeys but changed their mind last second and invited Barker instead.

RedOrDead

Delbert Jenkins

Frank Row (1)
I've heard some excellent things coming out of the Aloys camp for next year. "Righting wrongs" is apparently the motto of the team. The returning Morson and Knight as a powerhouse pod should prove to be dangerous. Also heard of a new recruit Clarkon coming out of the ranks. I believe he's coming from Cronulla High school, word is he's an outstanding fullback which may add to the backline and fill the void left by the likes of Williams, Scutella and Bailey.

Running_rugby_1954

Dave Cowper (27)
Hi all,

Barker is heading to Nudgee College in Brisbane in the next 2 weeks, fully funded by the ARU. It should be a great game. Interestingly enough the ARU had initially contacted Joeys but changed their mind last second and invited Barker instead.

RedOrDead
A great opportunity. This definitely feels as though something joeys would withdraw from. Only focused on their gps competition rather than trying to broaden rugby and the important role they should be playing.

Similar to the gps returning to a home and away season next year. They must also be a be a embarrassed from their win loss ratio against CAS schools over the past 6 years as well since the comps merged.

Well done Barker taking the charge and heading up there for a great game.

RedOrDead

Ted Thorn (20)
A great opportunity. This definitely feels as though something joeys would withdraw from. Only focused on their gps competition rather than trying to broaden rugby and the important role they should be playing.

Similar to the gps returning to a home and away season next year. They must also be a be a embarrassed from their win loss ratio against CAS schools over the past 6 years as well since the comps merged.

Agreed. Proud of a lot of the CAS schools trying to better rugby in their own different ways. Even if we as critics think they could do it differently/better. Would be easier if all schools could agree. That is the biggest obstacle.

KentwellCup>ShuteShield

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Hi all,

RedOrDead
Can you provide us with any further details as in dates and if the game will be livestream'd

RedOrDead

Ted Thorn (20)
Can you provide us with any further details as in dates and if the game will be livestream'd

I unfortunately am not 100% sure about either. I believe the game is on the 10th. Also heard that it was going to be streamed on Stan, but couldn't find anything online about it. Will report if I hear more.

KentwellCup>ShuteShield

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I unfortunately am not 100% sure about either. I believe the game is on the 10th. Also heard that it was going to be streamed on Stan, but couldn't find anything online about it. Will report if I hear more.
Anyway this is great to hear, hopefully this gives way to national schools comp. If we could get some sports and state high schools involved, even better!

Props are People too

Chris McKivat (8)
Hi all,

RedOrDead

A great development. Hopefully it will be a big hit and an annual thing. A national championship game between the top school in each state is just what the game needs.

Goosestep

Johnnie Wallace (23)

You probably shouldn’t speculate on something you know nothing about .. and to insinuate joeys is somehow “scared to play” is hilarious. The college runs a tight ship, many teachers also have boarding duties… also to pull kids out of class at this time of year with many taking final exams is definitely something the college is historically against ..

Also Your ( however inaccurate) jab against GPS schools is just laughable, I can see that chip on your shoulder from here…