• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2023

Rugbynbeers

Bill Watson (15)
The nsw schools competition this year was a joke, the standard was average at best and I actually found it very difficult to understand why they have done this. Players in the Aus A team aren’t even the 2nd/3rd best in there position in there own state so the reason for them to be selected in a Australian team makes no sense.

for schools to claim “11” nsw players through this broken system is a joke. Only kids that played for nsw where those selected in the Waratahs academy.

for barker young Charlie poylton is a player to watch in 2023 gaining a spot in the school last year, originally coming from Auggies the school is hoping he can live up to the scholarship provided. He’s a great young man of charter aswell who is slowly becoming a leader around the school as teachers have said to me.

RedOrDead

Ted Thorn (20)
The nsw schools competition this year was a joke, the standard was average at best and I actually found it very difficult to understand why they have done this. Players in the Aus A team aren’t even the 2nd/3rd best in there position in there own state so the reason for them to be selected in a Australian team makes no sense.

for schools to claim “11” nsw players through this broken system is a joke. Only kids that played for nsw where those selected in the Waratahs academy.

for barker young Charlie poylton is a player to watch in 2023 gaining a spot in the school last year, originally coming from Auggies the school is hoping he can live up to the scholarship provided. He’s a great young man of charter aswell who is slowly becoming a leader around the school as teachers have said to me.

Aus A team has never been the best players in their position. I believe it's picked out of kids who didn't make the Tahs or Reds academy or something along those lines.

Also. All of Saihyoun, Edwards, Finau, Van Wyk, Kennedy, Livingstone, Hooper, Phillipson, Sagala and Poynton played NSW in some form last year. And Biet and McDonald played the year before however missed the whole season due to injury this year.

I don't know what to tell you.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Aus A team has never been the best players in their position. I believe it's picked out of kids who didn't make the Tahs or Reds academy or something along those lines.

Also. All of Saihyoun, Edwards, Finau, Van Wyk, Kennedy, Livingstone, Hooper, Phillipson, Sagala and Poynton played NSW in some form last year. And Biet and McDonald played the year before however missed the whole season due to injury this year.

I don't know what to tell you.
Nailed it.

I don't mean this term to sound demeaning but it has always been the left overs from the Australian School Boys that will get picked by position (generally, Quade played 12 so KB (Kurtley Beale) played 10). I know it's much more convoluted now with the Gen Blue, NSW Schools etc... but the rest of the name will be put together and the coaches fill out a team. Besides Front Row and Halfback most of the boys are well equipped to play multiple positions and some selections will be made to get a good young 13 into the team by playing him at Wing if there is another 13 in the team.

I don't think they have ever picked a School Boys rep team that has resulted in universal head nodding that it couldn't look different. Franchises are getting far more aggressive re recruiting and playing Aus A won't hurt your chances too much. They have seen it and understand that at times a selection has been made by split decision or a certain Saturday performance that had more eyes on it.

-----

Good Luck Barker. Give the red necks hell for the rest of us

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Is Katoa playing against Nudgee?
Barker will be at full strength for this game. Issue for mine is whether they are a bit rusty as it has been 5 weeks since the end of the CAS comp, while Nudgee have a bye in the last round of the Qld GPS comp. I expect the Reds will put on a good show, but Nudgee at home will be tough.

RedOrDead

Ted Thorn (20)
Barker will be at full strength for this game. Issue for mine is whether they are a bit rusty as it has been 5 weeks since the end of the CAS comp, while Nudgee have a bye in the last round of the Qld GPS comp. I expect the Reds will put on a good show, but Nudgee at home will be tough.
Yes Rod. 5 weeks without playing. Will definitely be rusty and match fitness will not be there which is a real shame. Nudgee have a massive advantage in this one especially being at home.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Have they named Katoa? He played for the Panthers NSW Cup team last weekend in their Qualifying Final. Penrith
have a Major Semi v Newtown this Saturday

OldFatSlow

Frank Row (1)
New here and wanted to get some information on scholarships. After reading a few threads it seems a taboo subject. I did find reference to it in an old post (link below) but the links in the thread are no longer active.
Is there anywhere on G&GR or elsewhere that I can some info?

notreleasing

Frank Row (1)
Although not the same sport and system possible idea to have an alternate competition. In the football there is a CIS knockout tournament on the side of the respective CAS, GPS, ISA etc competitions. In rugby they could have this tournament as a knockout tournament with ISA, CAS and GPS to then have a best team in this competition. Similar to FA Cup in English Football. A concern could be schools worrying about injuries as understandably there is less prestige in this secondary competition. I just think possibly a way to maintain current competitions but also have another knockout tournament where we can find out the best few schools that season. Maybe it could be apart of the 'pre-season' trial matches or maybe even begin as midweek matches, not to sure. Anyway just a thought feel free to reply with any thoughts??

ap1

Allen Oxlade (6)
Although not the same sport and system possible idea to have an alternate competition. In the football there is a CIS knockout tournament on the side of the respective CAS, GPS, ISA etc competitions. In rugby they could have this tournament as a knockout tournament with ISA, CAS and GPS to then have a best team in this competition. Similar to FA Cup in English Football. A concern could be schools worrying about injuries as understandably there is less prestige in this secondary competition. I just think possibly a way to maintain current competitions but also have another knockout tournament where we can find out the best few schools that season. Maybe it could be apart of the 'pre-season' trial matches or maybe even begin as midweek matches, not to sure. Anyway just a thought feel free to reply with any thoughts??
This is effectively what the Waratah Shield was.

Post the mid 80's (when rugby fizzled out in public schools) it was mostly dominated by Canberra Schools (Eddie's / Daramalan / Marist) and was certainly a big focus at the ISA schools (Stannies, Oakhill). Every now and then, a GPS school would play (eg. Scots in 1990), but as a general rule, CAS and GPS schools weren't interested.

Towards the end of its life, it seemingly had hardly enough teams playing to make it worth while. I recall stronger schools getting byes straight into the likes of round 3, so as they didn't play small local public high schools.

I think the thing you are forgetting is that (with all due to respect to them) the GPS schools don't see any need for another competition to determine the best team. For them the winner of the GPS comp is the best team. Whether that is correct or not is not relevant, nor of interest to them.

DaSchmooze

Johnnie Wallace (23)
This is effectively what the Waratah Shield was.

Post the mid 80's (when rugby fizzled out in public schools) it was mostly dominated by Canberra Schools (Eddie's / Daramalan / Marist) and was certainly a big focus at the ISA schools (Stannies, Oakhill). Every now and then, a GPS school would play (eg. Scots in 1990), but as a general rule, CAS and GPS schools weren't interested.

Towards the end of its life, it seemingly had hardly enough teams playing to make it worth while. I recall stronger schools getting byes straight into the likes of round 3, so as they didn't play small local public high schools.

I think the thing you are forgetting is that (with all due to respect to them) the GPS schools don't see any need for another competition to determine the best team. For them the winner of the GPS comp is the best team. Whether that is correct or not is not relevant, nor of interest to them.
Yes agreed with all of the above. The Waratah Shield was a perfect vehicle for this but as mentioned, the GPS saw no need to participate. I have memories of playing against Homebush and Ashfield Boys High in the first rounds of the Waratah Shield. Great fun and absolute carnage!