• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2023

FoleyBealeFolau

Ward Prentice (10)

Aus A team has never been the best players in their position. I believe it's picked out of kids who didn't make the Tahs or Reds academy or something along those lines.

Also. All of Saihyoun, Edwards, Finau, Van Wyk, Kennedy, Livingstone, Hooper, Phillipson, Sagala and Poynton played NSW in some form last year. And Biet and McDonald played the year before however missed the whole season due to injury this year.

I don't know what to tell you.
Boys i think we do forget a little bit here that most of these barker backs are made to a look a lot better by the silky play of there flyhallf Katoa ill be interested to see how the returning backs (Charlie Poynton, Hamish Mcdonald and Drew Wheels) play next year, unless Barker College recruit some new "musicians" to fill the key spots in there back line.

RedOrDead

Ted Thorn (20)
Boys i think we do forget a little bit here that most of these barker backs are made to a look a lot better by the silky play of there flyhallf Katoa ill be interested to see how the returning backs (Charlie Poynton, Hamish Mcdonald and Drew Wheels) play next year, unless Barker College recruit some new "musicians" to fill the key spots in there back line.

I mean Doug Phillipson, Will Kennedy and Eli Sagala were all NSW representatives before Katoa got there. Additionally so were Hamish McDonald and Jakob Biet (who missed the whole season). Charlie Poynton earned NSW honours in the 16’s through the schools tournament, and obviously as such didn’t have Katoa there with him, and Gabriel Read scored 4 tries in one game as a fullback for CAS.

I just think they’re very talented as it is and having Katoa there certainly doesn’t hurt. Admittedly next year will probably be different though. Losing so much talent (not just Katoa).

I think Waverley is the team to beat this year, but early prediction. Who knows.

Homer

Ted Fahey (11)
How many of the Barker and Waverley teams will be back for 23?
Knox has four up front and 1 back I believe, plus a few 2nds players who featured during the year. Having said that i think their forwards will be stronger next year. No superstar in the backs and possibly a question over 5/8 but Malachi finished the season well with a cracking try against barker and should slot into OC and lead the attack.

RedOrDead

Ted Thorn (20)
How many of the Barker and Waverley teams will be back for 23?
Knox has four up front and 1 back I believe, plus a few 2nds players who featured during the year. Having said that i think their forwards will be stronger next year. No superstar in the backs and possibly a question over 5/8 but Malachi finished the season well with a cracking try against barker and should slot into OC and lead the attack.

Very few are returning for Barker:

1. Nick Hill (year 10, who came off the bench for a game or two)
4. Adam Van Wyk (year 12, returning)
6. Matt Hanley (year 11, played all year at 6)
8. Nathaniel Thomas (year 10, also came off the bench for a game or 2)
9. Kira Weaver (year 10, also came off the bench for a game or 2)
11. Leo Gibb (year 11, is a backrower but played wing, don't know what will happen)
12. Drew Wheals (year 11, came off the bench)
15. Charlie Poynton (year 10)

So only 3 players from last year, with a couple who played off the bench.

Anyone know how many returning for Waverley?

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)
The nsw schools competition this year was a joke, the standard was average at best and I actually found it very difficult to understand why they have done this. Players in the Aus A team aren’t even the 2nd/3rd best in there position in there own state so the reason for them to be selected in a Australian team makes no sense.

for schools to claim “11” nsw players through this broken system is a joke. Only kids that played for nsw where those selected in the Waratahs academy.

for barker young Charlie poylton is a player to watch in 2023 gaining a spot in the school last year, originally coming from Auggies the school is hoping he can live up to the scholarship provided. He’s a great young man of charter aswell who is slowly becoming a leader around the school as teachers have said to me.
Charlie Polnton #15 , scored 2 tries against Nudgee College. Only in year 10. Wow

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)
Yes Rod. 5 weeks without playing. Will definitely be rusty and match fitness will not be there which is a real shame. Nudgee have a massive advantage in this one especially being at home.
Definitely not rusty. Barker coach had them match fit. Halftime Barker 17 nil.

FoleyBealeFolau

Ward Prentice (10)
I mean Doug Phillipson, Will Kennedy and Eli Sagala were all NSW representatives before Katoa got there. Additionally so were Hamish McDonald and Jakob Biet (who missed the whole season). Charlie Poynton earned NSW honours in the 16’s through the schools tournament, and obviously as such didn’t have Katoa there with him, and Gabriel Read scored 4 tries in one game as a fullback for CAS.

I just think they’re very talented as it is and having Katoa there certainly doesn’t hurt. Admittedly next year will probably be different though. Losing so much talent (not just Katoa).

I think Waverley is the team to beat this year, but early prediction. Who knows.
Oh i did not know about some of these names i did hear about Jakob Biets injury. How many of these boys named started year 7 at barker college out of curiosity?

Props are People too

Sydney Middleton (9)
CAS athletics tonight. Some v fast kids out here at SOPAC. The Knox winger Sherlock ran a new CAS open record with a 10.54. The Barker runner Bradshaw also broke the CAS record running a 10,68.

In the U17s there was a Trinity boy named Ghisso who ran a 10.8 beating the Knox under 16 winger Dylan Hall into second running a 10.9. Noting that Hall is running up two years and is still U15.

4 boys under 11 seconds on a cold windy night is pretty good…

Props are People too

Sydney Middleton (9)
Knox got hard done by. Not that it matters. Very very subjective list.
Yeah no idea how they compare schools across countries. Looking at the youtube videos I suspect the top SA teams such as Gray college would beat the Aus teams pretty handily. I heard that Barker is going to the Sanix comp in Japan next year so we will see - but will be a much depleted Barker unit.

RedOrDead

Ted Thorn (20)
Yeah no idea how they compare schools across countries. Looking at the youtube videos I suspect the top SA teams such as Gray college would beat the Aus teams pretty handily. I heard that Barker is going to the Sanix comp in Japan next year so we will see - but will be a much depleted Barker unit.

I highly doubt this is the case. Dean Hargreaves is a smart man. This would only be detrimental to the image of Barker rugby. Next year’s team won’t be half as good as this years team. I have no doubt that this years team would have taken it to the likes of Paarl Boys etc.

Halfbackenthusiast

Ted Fahey (11)
The rumours are that the CAS comp is set to be broadened to include stronger ISA schools and potentially other schools which produce stronger rugby outfits. This is based off Barker students (and maybe other CAS schools) being asked to complete a survey which suggested a greater talent pool of schools in CAS.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
The rumours are that the CAS comp is set to be broadened to include stronger ISA schools and potentially other schools which produce stronger rugby outfits. This is based off Barker students (and maybe other CAS schools) being asked to complete a survey which suggested a greater talent pool of schools in CAS.
Hello Halfbackenthusiast

Which schools could be included. I believe and stated before, on this site that the most likely schools, are not in Sydney, but in Canberra.

Hence:-

Canberra Grammar
St. Edmunds College
Daramalan College ( My apologies, if i Have misspelled the schools name)
Marist Canberra

All these schools, I believe have over 1,000 boys in each School. All play Rugby, but in small numbers with only 2-3 teams in each age division. And 3-4 in the opens. Nevertheless, playing in a prestigious school boy competition, such as the CAS, could trigger greater numbers. The question remains, would the Sydney schools travel to Canberra, would the Canberra schools travel to Sydney.

Props are People too

Sydney Middleton (9)
Hello Halfbackenthusiast

Which schools could be included. I believe and stated before, on this site that the most likely schools, are not in Sydney, but in Canberra.

Canberra Grammar
St. Edmunds College
Marist Canberra

All these schools, I believe have over 1,000 boys in each School. All play Rugby, but in small numbers with only 2-3 teams in each age division. And 3-4 in the opens. Nevertheless, playing in a prestigious school boy competition, such as the CAS, could trigger greater numbers. The question remains, would the Sydney schools travel to Canberra, would the Canberra schools travel to Sydney.
The Canberra schools already play in a strong, tiered comp mixed together with local clubs and incorporating a number of regional teams as well; south coast, Glouburn etc. It is one of the better balanced comps in the country. I doubt they will change.

CAS / ISA / Sports high schools would be interesting.

Halfbackenthusiast

Ted Fahey (11)
Hello Halfbackenthusiast

Canberra Grammar
St. Edmunds College
Marist Canberra

Highly unlikely Black and White. Not only because of the distance but preseason matches between CAS schools and Canberra schools are historically very one-sided affairs. I hope schools like Oakhill are given a chance, as the last two years they’ve not only competed but beaten some of the top 3 CAS schools