• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2023

view2k22prems

Stan Wickham (3)
News out of the Barker paddock is that Luke Muriti, Jed Smith, Charlie Heidke, and Riley Evans are new additions to the Barker rugby programme. Any info on what position they play would be greatly appreciated.

JackJill

Chris McKivat (8)
News out of the Barker paddock is that Luke Muriti, Jed Smith, Charlie Heidke, and Riley Evans are new additions to the Barker rugby programme. Any info on what position they play would be greatly appreciated.
All those boys are from the u16 Gen Blue team. Typical

Halfbackenthusiast

Ted Fahey (11)
Is this true? because they seemed to have recruited positions that already have depth. With Charlie heidki and Riley the centres for NSW country. Like muriti is a hooker at oakhil and Jed smith a prop for nsw country. Would make more sense to target a five-eight

Jumping_jack

Ward Prentice (10)
Is this true? because they seemed to have recruited positions that already have depth. With Charlie heidki and Riley the centres for NSW country. Like muriti is a hooker at oakhil and Jed smith a prop for nsw country. Would make more sense to target a five-eight

Muriti played backrow for Oakhill 1sts this year.

Oakhill continues to have players pillaged from Barker.

The strong Barker scouting program continues.

Jumping_jack

Ward Prentice (10)

They recruited three props for 2022. They don’t seem to mind have supported places in the seconds as it adds depth.

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
Muriti played backrow for Oakhill 1sts this year.

Oakhill continues to have players pillaged from Barker.

The strong Barker scouting program continues.
For those unaware, a few years ago Scots had a 1st Basketball team recruited and all the other schools in the GPS refused to play them, no joke, so there was no GPS Basketball comp that year, due to a ridiculous strategy.

Let's wait for the Barker parents to eventually get sick and tired of all this, it will happen, as per the Waves example I gave earlier, mind you, it was not in this order, nor any other school that I can think of.

Assuming it is true!

RedOrDead

Ted Thorn (20)
Not murder.. but not Really building a program you were sprouting a few pages back.

Just more of the same for the only firsts team in the school. When will they develop their own?

You mean like the 8 rep homegrown representative players they developed? One of which being an Aus Schoolboy and 7 being in the Gen Blue program.

Jumping_jack

Ward Prentice (10)
You mean like the 8 rep homegrown representative players they developed? One of which being an Aus Schoolboy and 7 being in the Gen Blue program.
C6B92629-B7B9-4D8B-8003-B2B4275A26EB.jpeg

You said that^^

Just a process, how long is the process going to take until they stop bringing in 9 or 10 players each year just so they can win a schoolboy rugby Comp.

The chequebook is in overdrive!

Go the barker scouts though, they do a great job.

Last edited:

Running_rugby_1954

Dave Cowper (27)
I have attempted a Knox team of the last decade.

1. Max Cutrone
  2. James Widders Leece
  3. Jack Black
  4. Nick Frost
  5. Milan Basson
  6. Lachlan Swinton
  7. Harry Chapman (C)
  8. Hugh Margin
  9. Leo Bosch
  10. Tom Morrison
  11. Oliver Evans
  12. Connor Watson
  13. James Armstrong
  14. Mike Pavlakis
  15. Archie Saunders

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
Evening all,

As a Barker parent I thought I would add my two cents here, with everything going on at Barker College.

I have two children at the school plus one just finished and the feeling now is this whole thing is becoming ridiculous.

Rugby at Barker is dying, all the kids know that a new team will appear in year 10 and 11. With most of the team now on supported positions. My son was in an A team, but sadly 3 players were brought in ahead of him. The development of players does not exist, coaches merely attend the u16’s carnival and approach the best kids after the game offering to sign them up. This is killing rugby at the school. With our ‘A’ teams embarrassingly not even playing opposition ‘A’ teams.

There is also anger that positions are being offered to students are already attend private schools paying full fees, so it’s not as though the families can’t afford to pay and it’s an opportunity for someone who would otherwise be unable to afford it. It is purely a win at all costs attitude and the students and staff act like that as well. Forgetting this is a school and we aren’t playing for sheep stations.

Some of the supportive comments on here from Barker supporters can only be from
School coaches, parents of supported students or the S&C coaches who work closely with the kids. Because the whole thing has created separation among parents. Those whose children keep their spots feign happiness at the success, but the reality is that even they see the process as beyond reasonable. Those that don’t move their kids to other schools as has started to happen. One of the big discontents is now from other sports. The big question being, why does rugby appear to have an unlimited chequebook, compared to every other sport in the school.

The big thought for most though, is this win at all costs attitude must indeed have long term ramifications for the students well-being, the school as a whole and the enrolments of students. If you are considering enrolling your son in the school for rugby, don’t. Unless you are already in a rep program, you will be forgotten and miss out any chance you have of playing in the firsts. As my son did.

Be certain, the rumblings grow stronger each day. And while this public message is here the school has also been in discussions with parents groups over the growing discontent. Particularly as students hear about new enrolments to the school today, for students who were playing in other schools firsts Xv last term.

Hopefully some change in the future, but know that despite Barker losing what they did this year, the team will be the same strength next year with all the new additions coming in.

If they don’t win, who knows the outcome.!
FormerR, I completely empathize with your comments and the growing discontent with Terrific Barker parents whose sons have suffered from this BS. As a Waves dad, old boy, and my sons are 4th generation, it was very easy to see what was going to happen soon.

I said it in recent posts, EXACTLY, what you have just articulated, we have imported in the last 4 years, but no where near to the same extent. There are many other poor flow on effects from bringing in stars, eg typically their parents don't help out because they are special etc, not to mention how it effects the culture as the younger boys, often in A teams, talk about being pushed aside later.

If you feel the need, have a look a few pages back where I spelt this out VERY clearly, but it will happen, and NOW it is!

In the end, IT WILL END, as it is a short term fools game.

Hope your boy/s and others benefit in time to enjoy what is rightfully theirs!

Cheers ;)

DaSchmooze

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Evening all,

As a Barker parent I thought I would add my two cents here, with everything going on at Barker College.

I have two children at the school plus one just finished and the feeling now is this whole thing is becoming ridiculous.

Rugby at Barker is dying, all the kids know that a new team will appear in year 10 and 11. With most of the team now on supported positions. My son was in an A team, but sadly 3 players were brought in ahead of him. The development of players does not exist, coaches merely attend the u16’s carnival and approach the best kids after the game offering to sign them up. This is killing rugby at the school. With our ‘A’ teams embarrassingly not even playing opposition ‘A’ teams.

There is also anger that positions are being offered to students are already attend private schools paying full fees, so it’s not as though the families can’t afford to pay and it’s an opportunity for someone who would otherwise be unable to afford it. It is purely a win at all costs attitude and the students and staff act like that as well. Forgetting this is a school and we aren’t playing for sheep stations.

Some of the supportive comments on here from Barker supporters can only be from
School coaches, parents of supported students or the S&C coaches who work closely with the kids. Because the whole thing has created separation among parents. Those whose children keep their spots feign happiness at the success, but the reality is that even they see the process as beyond reasonable. Those that don’t move their kids to other schools as has started to happen. One of the big discontents is now from other sports. The big question being, why does rugby appear to have an unlimited chequebook, compared to every other sport in the school.

The big thought for most though, is this win at all costs attitude must indeed have long term ramifications for the students well-being, the school as a whole and the enrolments of students. If you are considering enrolling your son in the school for rugby, don’t. Unless you are already in a rep program, you will be forgotten and miss out any chance you have of playing in the firsts. As my son did.

Be certain, the rumblings grow stronger each day. And while this public message is here the school has also been in discussions with parents groups over the growing discontent. Particularly as students hear about new enrolments to the school today, for students who were playing in other schools firsts Xv last term.

Hopefully some change in the future, but know that despite Barker losing what they did this year, the team will be the same strength next year with all the new additions coming in.

If they don’t win, who knows the outcome.!
Sad to hear all of that Formerrugger but not unexpected.

I believe that all school sport programs should develop their students regardless of their ability - not because of it.

And seeing these boys come in from other schools' 1st XV programs tends to make a mockery of the "we're offering an opportunity" argument.

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
And seeing these boys come in from other schools' 1st XV programs tends to make a mockery of the "we're offering an opportunity" argument.
Especially when they are already at a private school (somewhat bigotry to believe an Anglican environment is superior to a Catholic?).

Agree with FormerR and WLF - talented kids are not stupid, they will switch to sports where there is a level playing field (and their mates will join them).

Last edited:

forshizzle

Frank Row (1)
HI all,

First time poster here and Ex Barker Dad.

Been having a snoop around the Aloys rugby- Kellen Parker on an NRL contract with the roosters. Watch out!!