• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2023

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
First: settle down. It's a game.

Secondly: ref-blaming is never a good look. If you think the ref made an error, sure, say what it was and explain why. But a general suggestion of bias is not helpful to anyone. I didn't see the Waverley-Cranbrook game, but I gather the ref awarded a yellow card against Waverley at a critical point in the game, which isn't something a referee would do if he wanted to see Cranbrook win.

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
First: settle down. It's a game.

Secondly: ref-blaming is never a good look. If you think the ref made an error, sure, say what it was and explain why. But a general suggestion of bias is not helpful to anyone. I didn't see the Waverley-Cranbrook game, but I gather the ref awarded a yellow card against Waverley at a critical point in the game, which isn't something a referee would do if he wanted to see Cranbrook win.
Ok Snort, here is my opinion, having watched the game, and expected and read the barrage of comments, from both sides, shortly after the game.
As usual both sides of viewers will find problems with the ref, happens every game.

IMO, there were plenty of calls that also went against the Waves, in particular, the sin bin that cost 2 tries, and conversions. in 3 minutes to Cranbrook, which should have been the game. And then the Brook supporters say the same in the last 10 mins, because everything becomes so fueled at that stage that people scream at everything. It just happens that way. BUT there were no major mistakes like forward passes or knock-ons that led to game winning tries.

Now here's the wrap: Cranbrook were the better side on the day, they executed really well, made very few mistakes, and with a 15 point lead with 10-15mins to go should have closed out the game, and won.

The Waves were generally sloppy in execution, must have dropped the ball 15-20 times, and made it very hard for themselves to get into an ascending position.

The school boy tunnels and terrific crowd made it special.

Here's the finale, I can't remember when a field goal, on the last play of the day, won a game. I can't believe how composed the Waves were, to NOT drop their shoulders and give up, and pull off a stunning win.
These types of games are extremely rare, and if people doubt why it's called Death Valley, here's proof!

scrumhead99

Sydney Middleton (9)
Ok Snort, here is my opinion, having watched the game, and expected and read the barrage of comments, from both sides, shortly after the game.
As usual both sides of viewers will find problems with the ref, happens every game.

IMO, there were plenty of calls that also went against the Waves, in particular, the sin bin that cost 2 tries, and conversions. in 3 minutes to Cranbrook, which should have been the game. And then the Brook supporters say the same in the last 10 mins, because everything becomes so fueled at that stage that people scream at everything. It just happens that way. BUT there were no major mistakes like forward passes or knock-ons that led to game winning tries.

Now here's the wrap: Cranbrook were the better side on the day, they executed really well, made very few mistakes, and with a 15 point lead with 10-15mins to go should have closed out the game, and won.

The Waves were generally sloppy in execution, must have dropped the ball 15-20 times, and made it very hard for themselves to get into an ascending position.

The school boy tunnels and terrific crowd made it special.

Here's the finale, I can't remember when a field goal, on the last play of the day, won a game. I can't believe how composed the Waves were, to NOT drop their shoulders and give up, and pull off a stunning win.
These types of games are extremely rare, and if people doubt why it's called Death Valley, here's proof!
Cheers for the write up WLF, completely agree.

MagicMike

Stan Wickham (3)
If you thought ref was dubious, You should have seen the Cranbrook v Waverley game of 2022. Not only the worst field ever played on, but the ref carried Cranbrook to a draw.

Ah well even after the professionalisation of the Cranbrook rugby program over the last 3 years, they have not yet beaten one of the big 3 CAS teams. Despite throwing everything they can at it. Sometimes culture is too built in to change.
no miracle from the Double Bay Jesus eh?

MagicMike

Stan Wickham (3)
IMG_9027.jpeg

Zinc86

Frank Row (1)
Those Waverley 13A were incredible to watch. The strength, speed and passing on them you would think you were watching 15A. They were beating cranbrook 60-0 before half time before the incident happened. I have heard that they have beat every school they have played so far by 40+ points. Their kicker aswell hit all his conversion from all parts of the field. Definitely a team to keep and eye on in the next couple years

Ziggy

Allen Oxlade (6)
Those Waverley 13A were incredible to watch. The strength, speed and passing on them you would think you were watching 15A. They were beating cranbrook 60-0 before half time before the incident happened. I have heard that they have beat every school they have played so far by 40+ points. Their kicker aswell hit all his conversion from all parts of the field. Definitely a team to keep and eye on in the next couple years
It’s team that is primarily made up of Randwick and Easts rep players. Alot of the boys have played together or against each other for the last 3-4 years.
8 of the players were in Prep 1sts who went through undefeated last year.
Everyone knows their role and they play like a proper rugby team.
If anyone gets a chance, they should come and watch them play.

frount lowers

Frank Row (1)
Good win for Cranbrook 2nd XV getting up 17-10 against "the best 2nd XV in the CAS". Cranbrook's 2's will look to win the comp again.

I had the pleasure of watching the 2nd XV wav vs Cranbrook and thought the 16th man ( ref) did let the brookies in. With a few dodgy calls and a pick-and-go try that was offside gave Waverley a tough time especially a side that has been shaken and rattled with boys coming in and out of 1s all the way down to the 4ths much like any other school. Waverley scrums were dominant with the forwards really testing the Brookies strength in many aspects of the game. Brookies backs dominated and ran around the Waverley back three, especially with one binned for a stupid mistake ( not having a go at the ref there! ). Finally, Waverley with dominant scrums testing their prop depth with a sin bin in the 1st half, continued to be dominant throughout the game with the substituted prop pushing and controlling the brook loosehead.

Brook's best players: 8, 13, 15 6
Waverley's best players: 8, 13, 14, 3, 5

Waverley vs Cranbrook 1XV. was a gutsy tough game with what was thought as a childhood dream for Caleb Sinclair Harris (12) to be able to put the foot on the throat and kick a field goal in the dying moments against a local rivalry in your home ground in front of what felt like with both whole's schools in attendance! wow!.

if anyone was there I would be delighted for you to share your take on the game

Hector

Frank Nicholson (4)
52-7 Baker over Aloys: an excellent win by Barker and no one should get carried away with comparing this to how many points BC put on SAC in the last 2 fixtures.

Barker’s backline looked incredibly threatening every time it went through the hands. The centres are amazing, and the #13 is really something else. All the backs were slick, skilful, professional looking. Barker’s forwards were a menace, the tight five and the two props in particular. But they do need to work on a few things: (a) discipline which let them down, (b) individual decision making around the park (not from #10 though, he was excellent) and (c) responding to pressure. It's probably all one thing – they clearly expected to put 90 plus on SAC as Katoa's teams had done, and when it didn’t happen they weren’t happy and got frustrated. Both the #15s were under pressure all day, SACs from the kicks and chases, BCs from his own expectations and it told. There are obviously better CAS sides out there than SAC, so BC will need to deal with that. But returning to the first point, their backline looked as good and skilful and functional as any of seen at this level by me (and it did appear their usual #9 was out too and running the kicking tee instead). I believe the #10 is quite young. Big shoes, but he's already good and will be very, very good I'd guess.

SAC despite the score probably played as well as a unit of all the games I’ve seen this season. I'd say the gap in skill and effectiveness between their known top 3 or 4 players and everyone else in the side was much less noticeable. Yes, there were dropped balls and some stilted play in the backs, but they defended purposefully and clearly executed the game plan they were given. Made good decisions for the most (especially #12's quick tap for the try). They were never going to threaten BC properly (and I'm sure loved leading 7-5 for a small fraction of time), but hung in there and played to the best of their ability.

Aloys aren't going to be threatening titles, but they can be competitive enough at times. While I've not watched the Youtube 2015 videos of BC v SAC that are on the last couple of pages someone has been putting up, I remember watching games that year. A good non-numerical indicator of it not being really that long ago is that the current 2023 winger's brother was the 2015 winger (and his twin the #7 that year).

But depth will be an issue. A few injuries already, and if that gets worse it will be pretty tough. The Peter Murray Memorial Trophy match against Knox will be a difficult onslaught to stem, but hopefully the Term 3 matches will allow them to punch on a little.

scrumhead99

Sydney Middleton (9)
I had the pleasure of watching the 2nd XV wav vs Cranbrook and thought the 16th man ( ref) did let the brookies in. With a few dodgy calls and a pick-and-go try that was offside gave Waverley a tough time especially a side that has been shaken and rattled with boys coming in and out of 1s all the way down to the 4ths much like any other school. Waverley scrums were dominant with the forwards really testing the Brookies strength in many aspects of the game. Brookies backs dominated and ran around the Waverley back three, especially with one binned for a stupid mistake ( not having a go at the ref there! ). Finally, Waverley with dominant scrums testing their prop depth with a sin bin in the 1st half, continued to be dominant throughout the game with the substituted prop pushing and controlling the brook loosehead.

Brook's best players: 8, 13, 15 6
Waverley's best players: 8, 13, 14, 3, 5

Waverley vs Cranbrook 1XV. was a gutsy tough game with what was thought as a childhood dream for Caleb Sinclair Harris (12) to be able to put the foot on the throat and kick a field goal in the dying moments against a local rivalry in your home ground in front of what felt like with both whole's schools in attendance! wow!.

if anyone was there I would be delighted for you to share your take on the game
Hey mate,

I love your support for Waverley, but I feel as though the ref had gone both ways, both teams had recieved calls which they shouldn't have. The 8 for Cranbrook also got yellow carded, as did the Waverley back, I thought both were unfair. Apart from this your write up looks good.

Although I do feel it is a bit unfair to put more Waverley standouts then Cranbrook as Cranbrook won that 2s game. I feel as if some of the players you have mentioned, such as 13 and 8 had a average game.

Your thoughts?

Halfbackenthusiast

Ted Fahey (11)
Waves have a tough task this week having to back up after a massive game against a strong brook side, for their match against barker at barker. It’s the first time waves 1st XV have played at barker since 2019, should be a cracking match, with a big crowd. Can’t wait!