• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cheer Leaders

Status
Not open for further replies.

todd4

Jim Clark (26)
Should Aussie S14 teams have cheer leaders performing prior to the game as they do in South Africa?

Watching broadcasts of games from SA seem to have that something extra, maybe its the Sharks girls doing their raincoat flasher routine, and it seems to add a bit of glitz and glam to the game.

Should we do something similar or would it detract from the rugby?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Nothing would detract from the dire rugby the Tahs dished up last year - flashing cheer girls could only improve it. Then again, it depends from where they source them.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I think Tah Man is great. He is the kids' favourite part, and I have a laugh, too.

Cheerleaders are for when you totally run out of ideas.

And if anyone is going to rev up the crowd, I hope it's Tah Man. I HATE those media types they get to try to build excietment before the game.

Plus, I quite like half-time entertainment. Fastest prop. Under 7s. Catch the high ball. It's all good.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Reds had some a few years ago that caused an uproar. I think they first appeared at that first match that Dell played for the Tahs against us?

Dad and I drove back from the coast to watch and at half time we were just chatting about the first half performance of both teams when the cheerleaders started. We both stopped and stared for about 3 minutes, or however long we were on. I was waiting for silver polls to shoot out of the ground so raunchy was it. There is a certain song they danced too (I don't know its title or who sings it) but anytime I hear it now I automatically get half a chubby.

They were bordering on those cheerleaders in "Dodge ball: The movie"

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I know what you mean Noddy you couldn't talk and watch them at the same time! And what an uproar There was! I don't remember any music though? Although I'm sure there must of been some sort of accompaniment I can't for the life of me remember a single Bar of it?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Well, there are plenty of establishments up that way (Gold Coast springs to mind) that could put out an indecent set of cheer girls...or so I've been told.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
Scarfman said:
I think Tah Man is great. He is the kids' favourite part, and I have a laugh, too.

Tah Man is one of the biggest poxes to ever blight the game. A total waste of money and most kids who go think he's a joke - just like most of the Waratah's marketing. Does very little for the game and probably costs a fair bit to put on (although I would imagine the TahMan costs are covered by Visy, the sponsor, although I'm not sure what they get out of it). Having said all that, and to prove I'm not having a total Naza moment, even I was impressed by his entrance at the semi-final a couple of years back via the helicopter dropping him off in the centre of the ground. Now that got the crowd fired up!

Scarfman said:
Plus, I quite like half-time entertainment. Fastest prop. Under 7s. Catch the high ball. It's all good.

Agree this is good fun. Would like to see it extended to the pre-game as well or, better still, put on a decent warm-up game that doesnt finish an hour before the main game starts.

Anything would have to be better than a dodgy 70's revival band - or TahMan.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
Mr & Mrs WaratahJesus?

Love it, love it, love it! As diabolical as it was, it was still much better than the awful anthem song the Tahs came up with a couple of years ago. That truly was atrocious.

And I for one put in a vote for the fine young lady in the clip with her angelic voice to join Wendell as our special guests on Tuesday. I'm sure she'd go down very well.

todd4

Jim Clark (26)
I was thinking more from a telecast point of view. What happens at half-time can stay the same - it doesn't get shown on TV.
I believe the TV rights are worth big bucks. I dont work in marketing but I would think if you made your product a bit more attractive to the average punter, increased your number of viewers, then it would make the rights worth even more. I'm not saying that scantily clad women jiggling their bits in front of a TV camera will double the audience but a bit of glamour and sex appeal never hurt the popularity of a show (except maybe a Billy Graham pray-fest ). I think Aust and NZ Rugby should look at following the South Africans lead in turning gametime into showtime.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Nice wholesome girls if I remember

cheerleaders.jpg

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
James Buchanan said:
That reminds me how sexy a girl can look in little more than a rugby top.

Not sure I would want to see Morgan Turinui in a top like the one on the right.....

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Scarfy, just watched your clip for the first time. It was so bad I'm thinking there should be some sort of penalty for posting it. :puke: :puke: :puke: Suggestions please.

If that pair ever turn up at a Tahs match I'm going to barrack for the opposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.