• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Chiefs vs Reds R9 Sat Apr 13th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think it was more about securing votes for constitutional change. It's the same reason Quade's top up was returned.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
I'd say that this game will be very similar in intensity and excitement as the Crusaders vs the Stormers was last weekend, and one that will be a must see.

I think Sanchez will be the difference that allows the Reds to win in a tight match.

The backrow contest should be a ripper.

Last years game was almost the match of the season for mine. Let's hope for the same quality and the same result. The Reds played with a passion against the Bulls and the Clan they had not had for the other games this year. I hope it is a sign of a change in their mindset .

Just looking through twitter, looks like they all had a good time at Sanchez's wedding, let's hope they are tight like they were in 2011 and ready to do it for each other. Anything less than that and they lose against this Chiefs team.

BTW how the fuck were the Rebs allowed to go away on holidays on their bye. The Reds have been training all week by the sounds of things, just getting this weekend off.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Last years game was almost the match of the season for mine. Let's hope for the same quality and the same result. The Reds played with a passion against the Bulls and the Clan they had not had for the other games this year. I hope it is a sign of a change in their mindset .

Just looking through twitter, looks like they all had a good time at Sanchez's wedding, let's hope they are tight like they were in 2011 and ready to do it for each other. Anything less than that and they lose against this Chiefs team.

BTW how the fuck were the Rebs allowed to go away on holidays on their bye. The Reds have been training all week by the sounds of things, just getting this weekend off.

That's why the Rebels are where they are on the competition ladder, and the Reds are where they are.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Would rather Lucas in the Reds 22 than trying to get a run for Sunnybank. His defense alone is one reason. I also remembering him being outstanding in this game last year.

This game is just riddled with outstanding one on one matchups.

Cooper vs Cruden
Quirk vs Messam
Ant vs Kahui

Just to name a few.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I hope we don't rely on winning those match ups to win us the game!
My thoughts exactly!

Lets focus on the match ups of:

Tapuai vs Ngtai
Genia vs whoever is playing halfback for the Chiefs these days.
Horwill/Simmons vs Clarke/Retallick
Hanson vs Elliot

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I think he was looking more at the defensive player against the attacking.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Ant vs Kahui- Yeah because they're definitely comparable players.
In a positional sense they are given that they're both likely to play at 13. Ability-wise, Kahui has the potential to be close to the best all round 13 in the competition, whereas Ant is merely a good defender.

The Reds' performance level has definitely been on an upward curve with the return of Genia and Horwill, but this game might come a little too soon for them IMO. Beating this Chiefs team in Hamilton is close to impossible at the best of times!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
As I said earlier in thread the Cane/Gill match up (if it happens) has me salivating, perhaps because like Franklind, I think Cane is very very good, love the boys workrate, as I do Gill's which to me is a huge indicator of a 7's worth, I tend to think we look at turnover stats to much for 7s as a lot of 12/13s have almost as many turnovers.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
As I said earlier in thread the Cane/Gill match up (if it happens) has me salivating, perhaps because like Franklind, I think Cane is very very good, love the boys workrate, as I do Gill's which to me is a huge indicator of a 7's worth, I tend to think we look at turnover stats to much for 7s as a lot of 12/13s have almost as many turnovers.

Really? I can't think of too many off the top of my head who would have a lot of pilfers. Rene Ranger is the exception. He's good for at least 1 a game.

Who else would have a lot of turn-overs?

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Its the net gain of a seven for me.
Take away his penalties and the overall net gain or loss is how he should be judged.
Whats the point of getting 3 turnovers but copping 4 penalties for infringements. Then he is a liability to the team

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Really? I can't think of too many off the top of my head who would have a lot of pilfers. Rene Ranger is the exception. He's good for at least 1 a game.

Who else would have a lot of turn-overs?

Rene Ranger, A. Finger and Conrad Smith are the main ones, I think.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Rene Ranger, A. Finger and Conrad Smith are the main ones, I think.

This is taken from rugbystats.com so I don't know how acurate they are but here is who they have as the leading pilfer takers. Raner, Fainga'a and Smith all there :)

1. Sam Cane (Chiefs) 6
2. George Smith (Brumbies) 5
2. Rene Ranger (Blues) 5
4. Jacques Botes (Sharks) 4
4. Liam Gill (Reds) 4
6. Anthony Fainga'a (Reds) 3
6. Jean Deysel (Sharks) 3
6. Michael Fitzgerald (Chiefs) 3
6. Nick Phipps (Rebels) 3
6. Tawera Kerr-Barlow (Chiefs) 3
11. Alby Mathewson (Force) 2
11. Bryan Habana (Stormers) 2
11. Coenrad Oosthuizen (Cheetahs) 2
11. Conrad Smith (Hurricanes) 2
11. Deon Stegmann (Bulls) 2
11. Duane Vermeulen (Stormers) 2
11. Heinrich Brussow (Cheetahs) 2
11. Michael Hooper (Waratahs) 2
11. Saia Fainga'a (Reds) 2
11. Scott Fardy (Brumbies) 2

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Do these stats (or any other pilfering stats) include penalties awarded when opposition player fails to release the ball?

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
This is taken from rugbystats.com so I don't know how acurate they are <snip>

At the risk of getting sidetracked, I assume that these numbers are your clean pilfers. What they probably don't count are the ones where the player is on the ball legally and the other team is penalised for holding on? Much harder to quantify and possibly more rewarding (ie 3 points potentially or an advancement of 20-40m with a kick for touch)

Anyway, back to the mouth watering game that hopefully will be!

EDIT: Brisbok beat me to it.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
The other backs I can think of that I've seen pilfer on more than one occassion or are often effective at contesting on the ground are Tim Nanai-Williams, Henry Speight, Robert Ebersohn.

Status
Not open for further replies.