• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Chiefs vs Reds R9 Sat Apr 13th

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Toua is a worry. He didnt go so well last time he started and he will likely be lining up against Masaga or Tikoirotuma and a misread on D will be huge.
Was Toua was playing wing or centre last time? Yeah, he dropped the ball. Although he played very well against the Chiefs in the trial two months ago.

Harris doesn't really have enough pace on the wing. He was smoked on the outside to let in a try against the Canes, I think it was.

T

tranquility

Aidan doesnt really need anyone to go into bat for him, as anyone who has seen his abilities can attest too. But he really needs to grab this opportunity - their is a reason Link has selected him ahead of Jono, Morahan and others so far this season. It's a pretty good reason too.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Unfortunate for Morahan. What's wrong with CFS and Frisby?

By the sounds of it, the only recognised backs available to fill Digby;s wing spot and bench are Lucas, Harris, Toua and Davies.

A few injury issues this year for the Reds.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Has to be Davies, Toua has had two shots at it this year & did not take his chances. Apparently most of the injured crew are due back in the next couple of weeks.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Has to be Davies, Toua has had two shots at it this year & did not take his chances. Apparently most of the injured crew are due back in the next couple of weeks.

I'd say he more blew his chances than he did not take them. As much as I think Davies is more suited to track and field than the rugby field he's the best option for this week. Toua just looked lost in his starts earlier this season. Honestly reminded me of the meltdown I saw in person last year when we threw a freshman winger in against one of the better teams in the country, same look on their faces actually.

His defense has more a bit worried though. It isn't bad but it isn't great either. No I'm not using the Samoa match as reference either, he got sold down the fucking river on that one.

Who the hell would have guessed a month or two ago we'd be having depth issues in the back three? What a game.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Craig Clarke and Mo Schwalger still out for the Chiefs. Tim Nanai-Williams is fit.

Clarke not rushing to return from concussion
EVAN PEGDEN, Fairfax: 10/04/2013
Chiefs co-captain Craig Clarke has seen up close how dangerous and debilitating successive concussions can be and is taking a fifth week out of the firing line.....​
Also unlikely to return to action for the Chiefs this weekend having reinjured his surgically repaired knee in the Stormers match is experienced hooker Mahonri Schwalger, with Ross Filipo, Tawera Kerr-Barlow and Ben Afeaki still sidelined with longer term injuries.​
"Mo's [Schwalger's] close but we need a solid training week from him and he hasn't done a lot up till now, even this week, so similar to Craig we want him to be a hundy [100 per cent]," Chiefs head coach Dave Rennie said.​
That means versatile back Tim Nanai-Williams, who started at centre for the first five games of the season when Richard Kahui was still coming back from a shoulder reconstruction, is likely to be the only player to return this week.....​

Read More: http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-rugby/8529473/Clarke-not-rushing-to-return-from-concussion

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
If TNW is still in the form he was to begin the comp and he manages to get outside the line and involved with the back three it's going to give our defense fits, that is for sure.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
He is pretty spectacular! And does not need much space at all. I assume he'll be playing 13 and Kahui at 12, so Ant should restrict his chances hopefully and keep the defence out wide organised.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Is there a track record for Kahui playing 12? I was actually thinking they may do it in reverse order. TNW has been a little suspect in his man-up tackling but they have a very solid back row to compensate and Tapuai/Ant aren't generally going to go over top of most players when the run the ball. I think TNW has a better skill-set for 12 than Kahui and Kahui is a really excellent defender and proven player overall at 13. I can see the justifications going either way though now that I'm thinking on it, will mostly come down to how the Chiefs want to play the game I guess but I wouldn't be surprised to see them switching spots in the back line a few times. This is assuming they both start though!

I think 12. Aki 13. Kahui with TNW on the bench is more realistic.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
They might play Andrew Horrell at 12 and Kahui at center. (I think Horrell is fit). TNW to the wing.

Kerr-Barlow is still out with a broken jaw and Ben Afeaki with ankle problems.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
With a Kahui/TNW pairing my preference would be Kahui at 12. TNW if his defence is suspect will have less trouble with Ant than Taps who has a better step and deception. He can play 10 though so 12 is not a stretch but most, if not all, his rugby at this level has been on the wing or at the back. Kahui is a terrific centre and could play more of the role they used SBW for last year. Won't be surprised to see him pushing Nonu for 12 if he stays fit.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
I see your point. Kahui has just done so well in the 13 jersey both for the ABs and the Chiefs I wouldn't want to see him moved inside. Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

I think most of the centers in NZ could push Nonu for the 12 jersey right now. Unless he rediscovers some form or has a secret arrangement involving sexual favors with AB selectors I can't see him pulling on the 12 jersey right now. He's been pretty below-par all season and the multiple cheap shots from the Highlanders game didn't do anything but just make him look incredibly frustrated with himself and possibly his team. Neither of those is a very good look on top of a pretty severe dip in form.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I wasn't basing the call for Kahui at 12 on anything in particular, I just thought that was where the two were most suited if they were the centre pairing. On Kahui pushing Nonu for the AB's 12 spot, I thought I read that at the end of the S15 he's heading OS. Japan I think?

USARugger

John Thornett (49)

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
St.George Queensland Reds team to play Chiefs1. Greg Holmes2. James Hanson3. James Slipper4. Rob Simmons5. James Horwill (c)6. Eddie Quirk7. Liam Gill8. Jake Schatz9. Will Genia (vc)10. Quade Cooper11. Rod Davies12. Ben Tapuai13. Anthony Faingaa14. Dom Shipperley15. Jono Lance16. Albert Anae17. Ben Daley18. Ed O'Donoghue19. Jarrad Butler20. Ben Lucas21. Chris Feauai-Sautia22. Aidan Toua

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Shaky on Rod Davies, obviously we have injuries there and F'Sautia isn't a 100% fit, but Davies has not played a good game since that semi-final against the Blues in 2011.

I even thought he looked off in the minutes he had the other week.

Hopefully next week we will see Beau Robinson's name back on the team sheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.