• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Chiefs vs Reds R9 Sat Apr 13th

Status
Not open for further replies.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Would have been surprised to see Beau in the side this week. Butler has not let them down and a week or two playing club rugby to get back up to speed will be better than 70 on the bench. He will probably struggle as Quirk, Gill & Schatz are 80 min players and another 7 does not really fit to balance the bench. Next week if most of the injured backs are fit i think there will be a 5/2 split, Brumbies won the game at the breakdown in the first game and Link may want some extra backrow punch.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
So what happens to Browning now?

Browning was always going to be behind Robinson, Butler and Samo on the bench this year. It's his first year and at 18 will find himself in the same postion as CFS did, prodigiously talented but having to earn there way into the side. Expect to see more of him next year.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Not saying I expected Robbo to play this week, and I know he only played 40 minutes for Souths, but I think he adds much more then Samo (who I am not a fan) and Buttler (who I am a big fan).

I do agree that there will probably be a 5:2 split. With Buttler and Samo/Robinson on the bench.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
St.George Queensland Reds team to play Chiefs1. Greg Holmes2. James Hanson3. James Slipper4. Rob Simmons5. James Horwill (c)6. Eddie Quirk7. Liam Gill8. Jake Schatz9. Will Genia (vc)10. Quade Cooper11. Rod Davies12. Ben Tapuai13. Anthony Faingaa14. Dom Shipperley15. Jono Lance16. Albert Anae17. Ben Daley18. Ed O'Donoghue19. Jarrad Butler20. Ben Lucas21. Chris Feauai-Sautia22. Aidan Toua

I like the look of this team. When you take into account the injuries (or niggles), then I don't think you can really come up with a better 22.
And the way Link has been talking, this is a game he very much would like to see the Reds win (me too).

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
My gut feeling is we will lose this game. The teams are pretty evenly matched but home ground advantage definitely sways it in the Chief's favour.

Current form I cant see any teams winning in Hamilton this season (apart from the Saders).

If we can win this game, then we'll surely be up as the team to beat.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
If the reds win this game they are title contenders, if not it will be very hard to come back from it.

I expect they will give it a red hot crack but I think the cheifs will win it by 3-7 points.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
If we play for a full 80 minutes (which I don't really think we have), I think we have a good shot at getting very close to the win, if not winning.

I am still jittery as we I haven't seen the reds put in a solid performance yet for a full game.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
If we play for a full 80 minutes (which I don't really think we have), I think we have a good shot at getting very close to the win, if not winning.

I am still jittery as we I haven't seen the reds put in a solid performance yet for a full game.

This season, they seem to like to have a little zzzz in the third quarter, especially if they have a reasonable lead - Link needs to snap them out of that, it's becoming a bad habit.

T

tranquility

I think he's still eligible for the U20 World Championships? He'll be off to play in France.

Which is literally the best place for him right now. He will most likely captain the side as well.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
This season, they seem to like to have a little zzzz in the third quarter, especially if they have a reasonable lead - Link needs to snap them out of that, it's becoming a bad habit.
I think they will struggle at the end of the game, I think the Reds will be leading by 7 or less with about 10 to go and will let in soft tries to lose.

Fortunately the Brumbies tie last week leaves them about 2 points closer to the Reds than most would expect so a loss would not be as disasterous as it would otherwise be.

We need bonus points in almost every game from here out

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Whatever the happy words from Reds HQ, a reliance upon Davies would have to rate as a serious concern regarding a Reds victory playing away against a team of the Chiefs' intensity, skill and tactical guile.

Davies is mostly a straight-line player whose only asset is, in rugby terms, the most simplistic form of pace. He often has momentum-damaging handling and 'where do I go now' issues when he has to collect the loose ball fast, turn fast and then manoeuvre forward with cleverness. He rarely bends a competent defensive line or escapes a good defender on his case. He's got a near-Aplon stature with a fraction of the class.

As we watched him in 2010 and 2011, it was very apparent that he had to be unlocked by QC (Quade Cooper) finding sizeable holes and spaces for him and guiding him there, Davies was far from a roving winger seeking surprising places to make his own luck. Good oppositions have become better at not granting the Reds the quantity of fast ruck ball that we gained in the aforementioned years and thus the Cooper-provides-for-the-speedster-Davies opportunities are lessened now. That's one big reason why Shipperley has become so much the better choice.

And btw, to state the importantly obvious, Davies' S15 game time with the 2012 and 2013 Reds has been severely limited, he'll be anxious with this start with this game's immense pressures. Davies will receive a dose of Dave Rennie's specially designed attacking medicine on Saturday afternoon, that can be stated with certainty. Let's hope and prey Rocket Rod will stun us with a new 2013 version that upwardly revises an assessment of his value to the team.

T

tranquility

As "simplistic" as pace may be, it can't be taught and it sure as hell can win matches. Lets just wait and see how it goes, we have a couple of fairly handy replacements on the bench should plan A not go to plan.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Maybe in the forwards. In the backs we've got Lucas and then an injured CFS and Toua. Doesn't really give me a huge shot of confidence thinking of what might unfold should plan A not work out.

All the pace in the world won't save you if you don't have the rugby-nous to find the holes to run through. This isn't 7s, it takes a lot more than raw pace. Which, sadly, is all that Davies really brings to the table.

T

tranquility

This opinion frustrates me, if I'm honest.

Davies, is an elite level sprinter. Elite, he runs about a 10.8 with electric timing - which is about 10.4 hand timing, which is what most people would have been timed at.

Sure that is probably his main asset, but he played two years of Australian schoolboys. Had a stint in the Broncos lower grades and has been a professional rugby player for atleast 5 years. The bloke doesn't just sit at training and eat oranges and play cards, he lives and breathes rugby. I'm sure he understands the intricacies of the game far better than anyone here.

But because he is so fast, he is reduced too - all he can do is run, that bloke aint no good.

something

Jim Clark (26)
Im happy to give Davies a chance. Shocker of a 2012 season, but lets see if he can regain some of that confidence he had in 2011

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
At lower levels of play like Schoolboys an attribute like elite-level speed can carry you through in spite of issues like poor handling and vision. At Super Rugby level suddenly everyone is faster as a whole and that elite speed can't be used as much to compensate.

I'm not saying that because he's fast he isn't a great handler of the pill and doesn't have good vision. I'm saying that he has poor handling because he's demonstrated it multiple times in Super Rugby matches and I'm saying he has poor vision because as it's been mentioned already even in 2011 when the Reds were more dominant than they currently are he had to practically have his hand held by Cooper to put him into gaps. He may love rugby and may do it day-in and day-out but that doesn't spontaneously give him great game instincts.

If it did we would see more of him hitting gaps like Shipperley and Ioane do, which is why they both start over him when healthy. I'm sure you can think of plenty of examples in your own life of people who do things for a living, but aren't particularly great at them.

The only reduction going on here is you reducing my last post to tell me what I meant to say.

Davies also gets himself isolated more than other wingers do and despite supposedly being one of the P4P strongest players at the Reds doesn't do a great job of staying on his feet and backing himself until support arrives. His rucking is also very poor. This means we will either have to keep the ball within the back row range more than usual or risk getting abused with wide turnovers. Neither of these things makes me happy going up against a team like the Chiefs.

T

tranquility

Let's see how he goes this weekend shall we, and we can talk about actual recent performances. While I would prefer Aidan to be on that wing - Link doesn't select bunnies just for the sake of a "fair go", if he has selected him over a fit Toua based on training form, it is based on merit and nothing else.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
He's got the experience which has been Toua's downfall so far this season, felt like a pretty cut-and-dry choice with the injuries we currently have. Not wishing any ill will on the guy. I obviously want to see all our players perform well and for the Reds to come home with the W. Just making observations based on his play since ~2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.