• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Chiefs vs Reds R9 Sat Apr 13th

Status
Not open for further replies.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Obviously not much game time but a player who goes ok at the pilfer is Horwill.

Kev is key. How can weforget angry Kev from last year that attacked the tryline just on half time. I just want this game to live up to its promise.

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Tapatalk 2

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
It has been great to see the Reds start to feel like the team that won in 2011. But I can't help wondering if it's too soon to be competitive against the Chiefs.
I should have my new Nikon by then. Can't wait to give it a run in a big game.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I am nervous about this one, but these upcoming games in the next weeks are season defining for the reds (less so for the chiefs). If that motivates the guys then we should do ok, I reckon.

T

tranquility

I think a real quiet achiever this year has been Albert. He has always added when he comes on, and he plays a very traditional tight 5 game. Add to the fact that he is cut from the mold to play prop, and is a good scrummager I am very happy to have him on our bench for when the going gets tough.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Agree Tranquility, he's had great impact & is a solid contributer around the paddock. Still needs work on scrum technique but he seems to be improving there in my eyes.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Really? I can't think of too many off the top of my head who would have a lot of pilfers. Rene Ranger is the exception. He's good for at least 1 a game.

Who else would have a lot of turn-overs?
Bull, as you see with other replies, there are quite a few good pilferers,another one I would normally add is Andrew Hore, but anyway, it's not really what I meant, I just believe (maybe wrongly) that a 7s job is just not about turnovers these days, but that I think it more about the quality of his workrate in support and defence etc. I rate Gill as a bloody good young 7 but he is down on turnover number slightly than other players, but I suspect like Cane (and Richie McCaw a classic example) his numbers of being the support player who helps keep ball for team, or tackles and slowing ball down for opposition, his numbers would be pretty good ,if those stats were kept.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
This is taken from rugbystats.com so I don't know how acurate they are but here is who they have as the leading pilfer takers. Raner, Fainga'a and Smith all there :)

1. Sam Cane (Chiefs) 6
2. George Smith (Brumbies) 5
2. Rene Ranger (Blues) 5
4. Jacques Botes (Sharks) 4
4. Liam Gill (Reds) 4
6. Anthony Fainga'a (Reds) 3
6. Jean Deysel (Sharks) 3
6. Michael Fitzgerald (Chiefs) 3
6. Nick Phipps (Rebels) 3
6. Tawera Kerr-Barlow (Chiefs) 3
11. Alby Mathewson (Force) 2
11. Bryan Habana (Stormers) 2
11. Coenrad Oosthuizen (Cheetahs) 2
11. Conrad Smith (Hurricanes) 2
11. Deon Stegmann (Bulls) 2
11. Duane Vermeulen (Stormers) 2
11. Heinrich Brussow (Cheetahs) 2
11. Michael Hooper (Waratahs) 2
11. Saia Fainga'a (Reds) 2
11. Scott Fardy (Brumbies) 2

Smith got 3 against the Tahs, 4 against the Stormers, and I saw 2 in each of the Bulls/Kings games.

I don't know who does those stats, but the turnovers are always far lower than reality.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
So who will be the run on wingers for the Reds on Saturday?
Shipperley and?
Who are the options?

Toua
Davies
CFS?

I'd guess Toua with Davies on the bench.

20. Lucas, 21. Harris, 22. Davies on the bench

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Moz has a cracked rib. CFS and Frisby also not fit. Back line is likely going to be:
Genia
Cooper
Toua
Taps
Any
Shipperley
Lance

Lucas
Davies/Harris

Status
Not open for further replies.