• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Chiefs vs Waratahs - Super Rugby Round 16 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
This game shapes as decisive in terms of the overall table this season.

The Waratahs have to win to have any chance of finishing top of the table and also guarantee that a top 2 finish is within their own control.

The Chiefs dropped from 2nd to 8th over the weekend after getting smashed by the Hurricanes. They'll know that a loss here could make it very difficult for them to make the finals.

Should be a cracker!

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I'll predict a Chiefs win. The Tahs performed poorly in Auckland against the blues. That was a game they should have won. I expect the same result here.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
I'll predict a Chiefs win. The Tahs performed poorly in Auckland against the blues. That was a game they should have won. I expect the same result here.
So should we throw a sublime performance last weekend out the window and go back to a game where we almost won it even after putting in our worst performance of the season? Why do you predict a Chiefs win?......I'm worried as well but I think if you are predicting then you probably should look at a more recent performance don't you think?:)

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
maybe. I think Aus teams generally don't perform to their potential in NZ. The Reds are the only team that have in recent times performed well across the ditch. I point to the Blues game as a sad example of an OZ team losing in NZ, even when they clearly had the ability to win.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Take your point about the Blues game, but to be honest we were in the middle of a horror handling patch there, starting with the Force and ending with the Bulls.

I think our handling will be better, but it needs to be very good because the Chiefs will counterattack with a quickness. If we fix the handling and support on attack, we can nullify them in that fashion.

Our scrum is going to need to tighten its shit up this week, that's for sure. Chiefs have good breakdown speed as well so support play will be critical.

Weather forecast for New Plymouth is clear after rain Thursday. Hopefully a dry pitch for the late afternoon timeslot.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I think this is where we really see where the Tahs are up to. For the first time in years, we've seen three pretty decisive performances in a row. The Chiefs are a lot better side than the Lions or the Rebels, and I don't expect six tries, but if they are genuine candidates for the big one, they need to keep it going now that they have found form.

The formula of having the big boppers keep bashing it over the advantage line so the backs can get it wide is definitely the right one, but it requires the big guys to maintain that intensity and the backs to maintain their precision. Really easy for me to say sitting behind my keyboard, but it has been the failure of one or both of these that has brought them unstuck in the past.

I'm not as worried as some about the goalkicking, as long as it hasn't knocked his confidence. Foley was at 80% before last week, those days happen even to the great kickers, he just needs to land a couple early and we're back on track.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
This will be won and lost up-front. As usual. The Chiefs pack looked vulnerable last weekend, if they have not tightened up and got their mojo back the Tahs can, and will, win.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I doubt Paddy Ryan will start a game for the rest of the season, scrum looked better with Kepu.

That's been the case all year. Cheika is deliberately choosing the better player around the park at the expense of the scrum.

I imagine that in the games that he feels the scrum will be under more pressure, Kepu will start.

Against the Chiefs, I imagine he could go with Ryan again. He won't be expecting the Chiefs scrum to be dominant.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Are we sure it has to do with being better around the park? Maybe he knows Kepu is the better player but doesn't want either playing 80 mins so purposely starts the weaker one so he has the better one on to finish the game?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Are we sure it has to do with being better around the park? Maybe he knows Kepu is the better player but doesn't want either playing 80 mins so purposely starts the weaker one so he has the better one on to finish the game?

There have definitely been comments from Georgina Robinson that Ryan is preferred because of his ability in general play.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I imagine that in the games that he feels the scrum will be under more pressure, Kepu will start.

He would have started Kepu against the Lions then - best tight five in the comp at the scrum and maul.

I think we can all state without prejudice that mobility and relentless attack is Cheika's priority. Kepu doesn't quite fit that bill, and while Robinson doesn't necessarily at this point, he's at least as mobile as Tilse, and quite a bit more important in leading the scrum.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's interesting that a couple of months ago, every Waratahs fan was deriding Cheika's decision to select Rob Horne on the wing.

Now, he's done so well that he's in the Wallaby squad and is a realistic chance to play the first test in a week and a half.

I'd guess the Tahs team will be the same as last week.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Tahs will find this hard, against a very good Chiefs side at home and with Cruden having more game time under his belt, but it won't be the end of the road should they lose. I still expect them to finish as the top Aus team, so therefore either 2 or 3 on the table.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Tahs will find this hard, against a very good Chiefs side at home and with Cruden having more game time under his belt, but it won't be the end of the road should they lose. I still expect them to finish as the top Aus team, so therefore either 2 or 3 on the table.

Absolutely, this will be a huge test for the Tahs. We haven't won in NZ for four years but if we play like we have the last couple of weeks we're a chance.

It's hard to know how the Chiefs will bounce back from last weekend's flogging by the Hurricanes. They could be amazing this weekend or it could have been a sign that their season is going off the rails and the Waratahs are in the box seat to break their losing streak in NZ.

The Tahs have to win to have any shot at first place but also need to win to be able to control their own destiny in terms of fighting for second place and a week off to start the finals.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Absolutely, this will be a huge test for the Tahs. We haven't won in NZ for four years but if we play like we have the last couple of weeks we're a chance.

It's hard to know how the Chiefs will bounce back from last weekend's flogging by the Hurricanes. They could be amazing this weekend or it could have been a sign that their season is going off the rails and the Waratahs are in the box seat to break their losing streak in NZ.

The Tahs have to win to have any shot at first place but also need to win to be able to control their own destiny in terms of fighting for second place and a week off to start the finals.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I'm not optimistic, but reckon it'll be a bloody close game either way and definitely has the potential to be one of the matches of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.