• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Chiefs vs Waratahs - Super Rugby Round 16 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
OK, I'm excited.

That was undeniably a corner turned for the Tahs.

Two things they're doing as a team on attack
  1. leg drive through the tackle in attack. Even on the ground the legs are still pumping. Even in a gang tackle the runners are getting 2m past the gain line
  2. Accuracy of the recycle - the ball carrier is shielding the ball just enough (usually by rolling over once) to allow the cleaners to take everyone out, which they are with great precision
Loved the second touches from Beale and Foley.
And if Phipps wasn't doing his job well the Tahs wouldn't be top of the Aussie conference.

I would add the aggressive offensive defence. Looks like 15 Nathan Greys out there looking for and enjoying the defensive duties and it is making a huge difference.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I actually think Phipps has played remarkable Rugby in the past two weeks especially. He must have read Bob Dwyer's blog piece a couple of weeks ago on 9 play. In the first 60 minutes of both matches he is the first to every breakdown with his pass usually accurate from the ground. No picking it up and shuffling a couple of steps before the pass. Yes the forwards are setting the platform but even with a platform too many 9's in Australia pick up, shuffle and wind up the pass. This gives the defenders too much time to move up on the receivers.

After 60 minutes the passes become erratic, service and field coverage slower. I don't think it is a fitness issue more than the fact he is working so hard for that 60. McKibben could be brought on a fraction earlier in my view.

I think Phipps is in career best form with greatly improved execution of his core skills.

Other than w-l over time, the next best mark of a really well-coached team is (a) the number of players notably improving times (b) their relative rate of sustained core skills improvement within a season. If (a) X (b) yields a big number that team is on a strongly upward path. The opposite almost always indicates: a failing or unsuitable coaching group.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
One thing I'd add is that the stability of team selections is playing a big role in Waratah success 2014. The Kiwi comentators picked it up as well.

So while some individuals may have deserved to be dropped on form at various times, Cheika has stuck with the and has been rewarded.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
One thing I'd add is that the stability of team selections is playing a big role in Waratah success 2014. The Kiwi comentators picked it up as well.

So while some individuals may have deserved to be dropped on form at various times, Cheika has stuck with the and has been rewarded.

Doesn't have many options though - Greg Peterson and Jed Holloway are the next locks in the pecking order after Douglas, JacPot, and Skelton if you read the position descriptions at waratahs.com.au

But Dennis is ahead of both of them. Personally don't mind Holloway - bit of a cattle dog player and stands out at club level.

Peterson though - how the fuck does he still have a contract? 1 cap against the Rebels last year and nothing else.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Doesn't have many options though - Greg Peterson and Jed Holloway are the next locks in the pecking order after Douglas, JacPot, and Skelton if you read the position descriptions at waratahs.com.au

But Dennis is ahead of both of them. Personally don't mind Holloway - bit of a cattle dog player and stands out at club level.

Peterson though - how the fuck does he still have a contract? 1 cap against the Rebels last year and nothing else.

But even when he has options, he's shown over the past 2 years that he will mostly stick with the same combinations.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I know it's been alluded to by a number of people here, but the biggest two changes in the Tahs under Cheika is firstly their old fashioned aggression, their willingness to just get up there and bash the opposition (legally), and keep it up for 80 minutes.

The second is the self belief to keep playing their game, even when things go pear-shaped for a while. They clearly believe in their game, and believe in themselves, this hasn't been the case with recent Tahs teams.

A couple of comments on yesterdays game, first Ryan. This guy needs a swab! He's been belted in the scrums week after week, and suddenly he dominates one of the biggest props in the game. And that first Chiefs try was one of the worst decisions I've seen. Yes, you can ground the ball with your torso, but not after you've knocked on! I can't understand how anyone can have thought the ball wasn't knocked on 1st (and that's without worrying about the offside).

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Yep tatafu, phipps, Foley and Dennis particulary have improved a whole lot in the last two weeks. Personally I thought each had been pretty ordinary at times earlier in the year. Foley so much so he is eyeing down the wallabies jersey,

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Folau Hooper and Potigeter from strength to strength

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)
You know the 'tah's are playing well when the NZ commentators start leaning towards them from quite early on. They were very impressed with the overall physicality and pace. It also sounded like they wanted to father AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s children!

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
You know the 'tah's are playing well when the NZ commentators start leaning towards them from quite early on. They were very impressed with the overall physicality and pace. It also sounded like they wanted to father AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s children!
Good pick up, they were very generous with their praise and unbiased in challenging the ref's calls too.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
I actually think Phipps has played remarkable Rugby in the past two weeks especially. He must have read Bob Dwyer's blog piece a couple of weeks ago on 9 play. In the first 60 minutes of both matches he is the first to every breakdown with his pass usually accurate from the ground. No picking it up and shuffling a couple of steps before the pass. Yes the forwards are setting the platform but even with a platform too many 9's in Australia pick up, shuffle and wind up the pass. This gives the defenders too much time to move up on the receivers.

After 60 minutes the passes become erratic, service and field coverage slower. I don't think it is a fitness issue more than the fact he is working so hard for that 60. McKibben could be brought on a fraction earlier in my view.

I think Phipps is in career best form with greatly improved execution of his core skills.
Phipps tackling and clean up work puts most other 9's to shame. No wonder he's absolutely spent in the last 15-20 mins. I've posted this plenty of times this season but have a look at his stats work rate wise.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I have never rated Phipps, yet I agree with what cyclo has written here. Is he better than White or Genia? Depends - he has a much better forward pack to work with than either of them, and better outside backs for the large part.

But @cyclopath me old china, you're trying to convince a guy who still thinks AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) doesn't deserve the 13 jersey. So be a good chap and give up - after all, WE know who is right :)
@Pfitzy I'll wager that Phipps does not start in next week's test in preference to either Will or Nic. But hang on, YOU know what's right. Bloody Link doesn't have a clue. As for AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), I'd be very happy to see him at 13. Just as happy to see Kuridrani there as well, but seeing that Link has picked AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) as an outside back I think Tevita will be the one to get that guernsey. I do expect AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to get some runs ar 13 when we have some more wingers available.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
But hang on, YOU know what's right.

Fuck oath I do.

And as I said earlier - I DON'T EXPECT PHIPPS TO START. I was merely aping the Brumbies/Reds fans on here who were happily smoking each other with the knowledge that Link would pick combinations, because it aided their cause at the time. Now that you're all been proven wrong about your little heroes, we can get on with picking a team.

Whether Link picks the players from the leading team in Australia or not is his business.

So I won't be taking your wager.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I had a look through the replay trying to work out where TPN got his teeth knocked out.

It was about 17 minutes in. Potgieter was running the ball around the Tahs 22. TPN was one of two players supporting him and copped the back of Potgieter's head in his face when Potgieter was tackled.

Tough going playing on after that. He must have been in heaps of pain throughout.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Exposed nerves in your dental region suck. I've been there, and even away from the rugby pitch it hurts like fuck if you breathe wrong

Was he wearing a mouthguard?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Exposed nerves in your dental region suck. I've been there, and even away from the rugby pitch it hurts like fuck if you breathe wrong

Was he wearing a mouthguard?

I'd have assumed he was wearing a mouthguard but it isn't overly clear on TV.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Some reports said he was and one tooth was stuck in the mouthguard, the other's somewhere on the ground. Gutsy performance by TPN, by crikey he's playing well the last few matches.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Put it this way, if he didn't have a mouthguard and the back of Potgieter's head knocked out his teeth, you'd expect a sizable cut on Potgieter. I don't think there was one.

I know from experience that when someone tried to rearrange my teeth with their shoulder, I took a sizable albeit unintentional bite out of their shoulder.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Thought the Kiwi commentators were really fair in their call. If you listen in close to the end of the game too, you'll even hear Andrew Merhtens give Eastern Suburbs a good rap!

Status
Not open for further replies.