• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Chiefs vs Waratahs - Super Rugby Round 16 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Some very good performances in this game. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) was very impressive and has put himself forward for No 13, but Tevita also had another very solid game against the Rebels. Good choices for Link. Cliffy continues his strong form this season and should start at No8. Will be happy if Foley starts at 10 but thought KB (Kurtley Beale) didn't offer a lot. Could see him on the wing to help Izzy out at the back but he didn't impress under the high ball. Will Skelton again showed how valuable he can be, usually taking two or three defenders out of the game with each of his carries. Nick Phipps was very ordinary.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Some very good performances in this game. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) was very impressive and has put himself forward for No 13, but Tevita also had another very solid game against the Rebels. Good choices for Link. Cliffy continues his strong form this season and should start at No8. Will be happy if Foley starts at 10 but thought KB (Kurtley Beale) didn't offer a lot. Could see him on the wing to help Izzy out at the back but he didn't impress under the high ball. Will Skelton again showed how valuable he can be, usually taking two or three defenders out of the game with each of his carries. Nick Phipps was very ordinary.
Eh?
His last few games have been excellent.
The tempo of game they play makes it a challenge to be standing patiently at every breakdown, but his general dynamism is a big part of why the Tahs are playing the kind of footy they are. He's not perfect, but he aint ordinary.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
After watching over last few weeks, there have been some bloody good performances, the one by the Tahs being one of them, and with results coming out, although I tend to think a Sharks/Tahs final, nothing is very sure is it? Bloody great comp (though I am quite hppy to have a few tests to get blood stirring a bit more again), with anyone seemingly capable of knocking over anyone!!

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
After watching over last few weeks, there have been some bloody good performances, the one by the Tahs being one of them, and with results coming out, although I tend to think a Sharks/Tahs final, nothing is very sure is it? Bloody great comp (though I am quite hppy to have a few tests to get blood stirring a bit more again), with anyone seemingly capable of knocking over anyone!!

Far out man;)

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I think that was TPN's best game of the season. He had some really important moments and was a key part of our physicality. His massive tackle that resulted in an under pressure kick and Dennis' try was superb.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk
Good Knock from Deano yesterday! willing to eat my words if he continues in that vein. Hoiles good off the bench too though

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Eh?
His last few games have been excellent.
The tempo of game they play makes it a challenge to be standing patiently at every breakdown, but his general dynamism is a big part of why the Tahs are playing the kind of footy they are. He's not perfect, but he aint ordinary.

I have never rated Phipps, yet I agree with what cyclo has written here. Is he better than White or Genia? Depends - he has a much better forward pack to work with than either of them, and better outside backs for the large part.

But @cyclopath me old china, you're trying to convince a guy who still thinks AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) doesn't deserve the 13 jersey. So be a good chap and give up - after all, WE know who is right :)

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I have never rated Phipps, yet I agree with what cyclo has written here. Is he better than White or Genia? Depends - he has a much better forward pack to work with than either of them, and better outside backs for the large part.

But @cyclopath me old china, you're trying to convince a guy who still thinks AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) doesn't deserve the 13 jersey. So be a good chap and give up - after all, WE know who is right :)
Yeah, I was never highly sold on Phipps in the past either, and he is far from a complete package all the time. But he fits what Cheika is doing very well, warts and all. If, for example, we had a Genia (2014-style, until very recently) which has been more ponderous, and less dynamic,compared to his best play circa 2011, it wouldn't work so well.
It's not to say Phipps is ideal for what McKenzie might want at all. Given that he does not have Cooper, his preferred option, we don't really know what he intends to play.
Genia's better play this week will probably be enough to see him start I would guess.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Phipps should have been replaced at about the 60 minute mark and there would be nothing but praise for his performance yesterday. His passing fell away late in the game and there were too many passes to no one that had to be cleaned up.

Before that his passing was good and he was very quick to the breakdown. His speed of delivery has been instrumental in our four game winning streak.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
He was similar in the game against the Lions - was good up until about 5 minutes before he was replaced in the last quarter.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
He was similar in the game against the Lions - was good up until about 5 minutes before he was replaced in the last quarter.

Agree totally with this. I think it is mainly fatigue causing the perceived weaknesses. I'd love to be able to put Genia behind the Tahs pack and make him play at Cheika-pace, delivering the ball as soon as its available and not running backwards to deliver. Would he last the 80? I suspect not, maybe 50 at best (he's getting like Gregan after 80 tests). The Tahs game is to play at a speed and the halfback is required to be on the ball all the time under their game plan (see Bob Dwyer's article last Monday), so that the physical demands on the halfback are greater.

For Cheika this is eminently fixable. McKibbin is playing well when he comes on so bring him on every week, as soon as signs of fatigue appear around the 60-65 minute mark. He can be the closer and go at 110% knowing he's only got to keep up that pace for 15-20 minutes. Right now, Cheika is waiting till 70; ten minutes earlier and its problem solved.

M

Muttonbird

The New Zealand teams have been even and have beaten each other up and it's looking like the result of that will be poor placings outside the conference winning spots. This suggests that the S15, in it's current format, advantages the strongest teams from conferences with a wide disparity in ability and not overall strength of conference.

The proof of that will be in the rugby championship.

M

Muttonbird

I'd say they've come back to the NZ pack having lost some valuable cattle to the NH and to injury. Also, the last two years have seen weaknesses in the NZ conference in the Highlanders and Hurricanes in particular. This catapulted the Chiefs to advantageous finals draws. Same is happening in SA and AUS right now (comparative to NZ, that is).

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Phipps totals the most passes by far for any scrum half in the comp. He's no doubt one of the fittest too.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Rugby is finally catching up with other professional sports by recognising the importance of the bench. Football coaches have long recognised the power of having a balanced bench they can utilise effectively, and keep players fresh through rotation.
Many upcoming Super Rugby and Test matches are going to be determined by the strength of each team's bench including the next RWC.
The Tahs have a very strong prop/lock rotation and it's making a big difference. The interchangeability of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Beale, Folau and Horne also provides Cheika with a multitude of options and back up. Apart from Folau, TPN and Hooper, no other Tah seems irreplaceable.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
OK, I'm excited.

That was undeniably a corner turned for the Tahs.

Two things they're doing as a team on attack
  1. leg drive through the tackle in attack. Even on the ground the legs are still pumping. Even in a gang tackle the runners are getting 2m past the gain line
  2. Accuracy of the recycle - the ball carrier is shielding the ball just enough (usually by rolling over once) to allow the cleaners to take everyone out, which they are with great precision
Loved the second touches from Beale and Foley.
And if Phipps wasn't doing his job well the Tahs wouldn't be top of the Aussie conference.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Phipps has an annoying habit of not picking out a target when he sees a cluster of players -- sometimes he sort of just passes at the group. Otherwise, I think his accuracy has improved over the course of the season. Overall, he is a huge upgrade over McKibbin.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
OK, I'm excited.

That was undeniably a corner turned for the Tahs.

Two things they're doing as a team on attack
  1. leg drive through the tackle in attack. Even on the ground the legs are still pumping. Even in a gang tackle the runners are getting 2m past the gain line
  2. Accuracy of the recycle - the ball carrier is shielding the ball just enough (usually by rolling over once) to allow the cleaners to take everyone out, which they are with great precision
Loved the second touches from Beale and Foley.

And if Phipps wasn't doing his job well the Tahs wouldn't be top of the Aussie conference.

So amusing/ironic that Gibson (+ Cheik of course) as an ex-Crusaders coach is achieving more in a far shorter time with the Tahs' attack than Deans on $1m+ a year ever achieved in 6 years with the Wallabies. In the 2008-13 period the attributes you describe above were at best rare glimpses soon vanishing from the Wallabies' attack.

Tigger

Peter Burge (5)
Long term Phipps doubter but thought he did pretty well in the Waikato....if memory serves me right he rode the pine for the last RWC behind the other two...

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Phipps has an annoying habit of not picking out a target when he sees a cluster of players -- sometimes he sort of just passes at the group. Otherwise, I think his accuracy has improved over the course of the season. Overall, he is a huge upgrade over McKibbin.

I actually think Phipps has played remarkable Rugby in the past two weeks especially. He must have read Bob Dwyer's blog piece a couple of weeks ago on 9 play. In the first 60 minutes of both matches he is the first to every breakdown with his pass usually accurate from the ground. No picking it up and shuffling a couple of steps before the pass. Yes the forwards are setting the platform but even with a platform too many 9's in Australia pick up, shuffle and wind up the pass. This gives the defenders too much time to move up on the receivers.

After 60 minutes the passes become erratic, service and field coverage slower. I don't think it is a fitness issue more than the fact he is working so hard for that 60. McKibben could be brought on a fraction earlier in my view.

I think Phipps is in career best form with greatly improved execution of his core skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.