• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Chiefs vs Waratahs - Super Rugby Round 16 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
A losing bonus point would be acceptable in this given our dire record in BNZ. That said we've yet to beat a top side away from home under Cheika and it would be a massive boost going into finals to get that off the back.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm afraid if we lose this we can just about kiss our chances goodbye. There's no way we could win in Durban.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I reckon the Tahs will win.

Even as a Queenslander, I really hope the Tahs perform for the rest of this season. Australian Rugby needs another Super Rugby title. At this stage it looks like the Tahs are our best hope.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I'm concerned about Chris Pollock for this one.

Me too. His last outing I saw was pretty awful and overlaying inconsistency over home ground advantage could get very ugly.

I also think the Sharks at Durban are a bridge too far; there'll likely be a non-neutral referee for the final, (pray it isn't Peyper, that bloke doesn't actively set out to allow a free flowing game and that will naturally advantage the Sharks) and I reckon the crowd will be worth around 7-10 points too.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Chiefs team
  1. Jamie Mackintosh
  2. Nathan Harris
  3. Ben Tameifuna
  4. Matt Symons
  5. Brodie Retallick
  6. Liam Messam
  7. Sam Cane
  8. Liam Squire
  9. Tawera Kerr-Barlow
  10. Aaron Cruden ©
  11. Asaeli Tikoirotuma
  12. Andrew Horrell
  13. Tim Nanai-Williams
  14. Dwayne Sweeney
  15. Tom Marshall
  16. Mahonri Schwalger
  17. Pauliasi Manu
  18. Josh Hohneck
  19. Michael Fitzgerald
  20. Tanerau Latimer
  21. Brad Weber
  22. Gareth Anscombe
  23. Bundee Aki

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Interesting that Cruden has taken over as captain.

Plenty of class in that team. The Tahs backs have to threaten the 13 channel of Tim Nanai-Williams. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has been awesome this year and TNW's defence isn't overly flash.

Big call to leave Latimer on the bench but there is probably better balance having Squire at number 8 than Latimer at 6 and Messam at 8. Cane, Latimer and Messam are all excellent players but not the most balanced backrow when they are all starting.

Nathan Harris was named in the first All Blacks squad after playing few minutes and his excellent lineout throwing was cited as a huge plus. In the last couple of weeks he's played a lot more minutes and his throwing has struggled. The Tahs lineout was much improved against the Rebels and if Harris doesn't get things right, this could be an area the Waratahs can target.

Of course, the Tahs lineout can fall apart in the blink of an eye so anything could happen.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Waratahs: 15 Israel Folau, 14 Alofa Alofa, 13 Adam Ashley-Cooper, 12 Kurtley Beale, 11 Rob Horne, 10 Bernard Foley, 9 Nick Phipps, 8 Wycliff Palu, 7 Michael Hooper, 6 Dave Dennis, 5 Kane Douglas, 4 Jacques Potgieter, 3 Paddy Ryan, 2 Tatafu Polota-Nau, 1 Benn Robinson.

Replacements: 16 Hugh Roach, 17 Jeremy Tilse, 18 Sekope Kepu, 19 Will Skelton, 20 Stephen Hoiles, 21 Brendan McKibbin, 22 Jono Lance, 23 Matt Carraro.

Same team as last week. Loving the continuity.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Not a bad Tahs bench either, two Wallabies and two future Wallabies. Cheika's got to give Crawford a sniff of an opportunity or we'll lose him. With Horne on the paddock and Carraro on the bench surely the centres're are covered for spares. I really like Cam's size and his monster boot.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Not a bad Tahs bench either, two Wallabies and two future Wallabies. Cheika's got to give Crawford a sniff of an opportunity or we'll lose him. With Horne on the paddock and Carraro on the bench surely the centres're are covered for spares. I really like Cam's size and his monster boot.
You think he wants to keep Crawford?
Seems to me he put a line through his name early this year.
Ben V also seems to be right out of favour as well.
Maybe he is willing to punt on Kellaway and/or Harry Jones in the future?

Richo

John Thornett (49)
You think he wants to keep Crawford?
Seems to me he put a line through his name early this year.
Ben V also seems to be right out of favour as well.
Maybe he is willing to punt on Kellaway and/or Harry Jones in the future?

I don't think this is quite right. Crawford was very slow coming back from injury, which enabled others to get ahead of him in the pecking order. He also came out of nowhere last year, so it's not surprising to have him backslide a bit, especially after an injury. Carraro offers a much-needed level head to close out games -- rarely does he make an avoidable error. Volavola is a project.

My view is that the selections so far speak to the strength of the backs in the squad, and are not a reflection on Crawford or Volavola as such.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Volavola is an odd one, he's one of the few Cheika personally signed after a couple of weeks trailing against other 10s he picked him.

I really can't see how Carraro is a better player than Crawford but whatever it's not much of a biggie.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I don't think this is quite right. Crawford was very slow coming back from injury, which enabled others to get ahead of him in the pecking order. He also came out of nowhere last year, so it's not surprising to have him backslide a bit, especially after an injury. Carraro offers a much-needed level head to close out games -- rarely does he make an avoidable error. Volavola is a project.

My view is that the selections so far speak to the strength of the backs in the squad, and are not a reflection on Crawford or Volavola as such.
Crawford did not set the world alight in the Next Gen series of games,and if you were within 100 metres from the sheds after one game you would have heard the unflattering critique of his game.
I think it speaks volumes that he is using 2 centres on the wing,in preference to these 2 back three players.
Bear in mind,the Parra 12 had his cameo on the wing as well.
But it wouldn't be the first time I came up with seven after adding two and two!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Won't get to see this live as it's my " on" Saturday, will have to record it & hope no-one blabs the score. Can't make up my mind result-wise, every time I convince myself the Chiefs'll get the job done I look at the 'Tahs team sheet & have second thoughts. TAB (NZ version) have Chiefs $1.65 'tahs $2.15 with a line of +3.5 so clearly I'm not alone in thinking this is gonna be a tight one. Chiefs to win, 'tahs a BP, possibly 2.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Go Tahs. A win would be great for the Aus conference and a confidence builder for the Wallabies. And it just might be the Tahs' long awaited title this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.