• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Coaching Options for Qld Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
Since it would appear Richard Graham has a limited amount of time left in charge of the Reds, what is a possible shortlist of candidates for Jim Carmichael to be considering?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I wonder if they will go a temp option like Stiles and try to start afresh for next year after the world cup when there will be a lot more candidates to interview/assess/appoint.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Based on the Reds scrum last night: not Stiles

Totally, to rush into the over-hasty promotion of an unproven 'insider from Queensland' like Stiles would be to risk yet another head coach failure and debacle and thus irrevocably take Qld rugby back to its darkest days from which another recovery a la 2010-11 would be by no means certain.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
With the right monetary incentives, I wonder if Dave Rennie could be poached, or if he considers that if he stays put he'll be a candidate to succeed Hansen.

By any account, the job he's done, and is still doing, with the Chiefs is quite outstanding. As one component, the way he's developed so many 'tier two' type players into excellent Super players has been highly impressive.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I fear for the Reds - they need to get the bull by the horns and find a solution rather than to go with band aids.
This is damaging to Oz rugby.
Not too many real options (any?) not already tied to a super franchise, a European club who play to May, or who will be part of the wc.

Most candidates will also be up for the Tahs job as well.

Tough spot

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Bye after the Brumbies game presents the perfect opportunity. I want to see an announcement 7am Sunday.

Mr Tank

Herbert Moran (7)
I haven't seen it mentioned here but an article in the Australian last week said two Qld sons coaching overseas had already put their hands up for next season.

I'm just guessing but my immediate thoughts were Brian Smith at London Irish and Matt Taylor with Scotland.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Not too many real options (any?) not already tied to a super franchise, a European club who play to May, or who will be part of the wc.

Most candidates will also be up for the Tahs job as well.

Tough spot

The sad thing is that, immediately post 2011, the world was the oyster for the QRU in terms the then global desirability of the position of Reds Head Coach. The then Reds were being lauded worldwide for the excitement and dynamism of their play, and it was only onwards and upwards from there. Some of the best rugby coaches anywhere would have been interested in the position.

The great positive today is that 27,000 fans still turned out last night. The dream is still flickering, and (sort of) alive. This level of fan support and the still-healthy QRU finances will underpin the confidence in joining that good candidates for the Reds head coach position will surely consider.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Tana Umaga has proven to be a fairly good coach. I wonder if he could be tempted to try his hand at super rugby level?

Styles is doing a good job in his assistants position. Leave him there.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Biggest challenge for the Reds is that the Tahs are also looking for a head coach. I know where the preference would be at the moment.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
There aren't a lot of options around, but it needs to be someone who can coach, not necessarily having results if that makes sense. RG has neither.

I think folks are far to kind on the organisation and everyone who signed off on Rgs appointment should go too. Otherwise we will probably just get another one of Chris Whites mates.

So the leading candidates would be:
John Eales
Nathan Sharpe
James Horwill (like his captaincy appointment would be a shock)
Grant Hackett (would get along with Karmichael)
Rupert McCall (former Brothers 3rd grade superstar)
Antonia Kidman (bolter I know, but better CV than RG)

T

TOCC

I think folks are far to kind on the organisation and everyone who signed off on Rgs appointment should go too.

Why would you sack the same people who turned the Reds from a team posting $million losses and on the verge of bankruptcy to one of the most commercially successful union or league teams in Australia...

These people who recruited RG are also the same people who were in power when they recruited Link..

Mr Tank

Herbert Moran (7)
These people who recruited RG are also the same people who were in power when they recruited Link..

No they weren't. I've gone over this previously but a family member was on the previous Reds board, he was there when they got rid of the previous chairman and appointed Rod McCall. McCall's first move was to implement a review which ended up getting rid of Mooney. The previous board then conducted a search for the new coach and appointed McKenzie. The CEO had resigned during this time and the previous board appointed Carmichael as the new CEO. This was all in 2009. In 2010 only two of the old board stood for reelection and both were defeated by friends of McCall.

The whole appointment of Graham was done by Carmichael, McCall and McCall's cronies. No question they have done great things for Qld rugby, but some of that success can be sheeted home to decisions made by previous administrations.

There's a lot more to be said about the QRU, but it's long and not worth going into here.

Status
Not open for further replies.