• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Colby Fainga'a

Status
Not open for further replies.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Should Colby start to look at maybe the Force or Rebels as possible teams to play for considering the Brumbies are now packed with loose forwards...I think he is to good of a player to be stuck only playing a few mins a game or maybe in the lesser games 15-20 mins...thats if he makes the 22 now Smith is there....

Or do you think he is looking at this as a chance to learn from the best and maybe take a bench role for the next 2-3 years before making the No.7 jersey his own..as he is only 21-22...really he could be playing till he was 33-35 considering we are now starting to see players play for alot longer...

Thoughts?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
When is he contracted to?

If he is really only a 7, then he would be crazy not to entertain offers from another franchise next year to be a starting number 7.

He absolutely should be looking at the Rebels or Force if they can offer him the starting jersey.

He's almost 22 and is very talented. He'd be crazy to wait around for Pocock to leave to be able to get a consistent starting role.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
When is he contracted to?

If he is really only a 7, then he would be crazy not to entertain offers from another franchise next year to be a starting number 7.

He absolutely should be looking at the Rebels or Force if they can offer him the starting jersey.

He's almost 22 and is very talented. He'd be crazy to wait around for Pocock to leave to be able to get a consistent starting role.

I saw something the other week where he said he would play 6,7,8 but I dont really think he is big enough to play 6/8 - he is def a 7 and one of the best in Australia - it has def been reported that he is the most talented of all the Fainga'a brothers. I also saw this as I used to play in the same div as Vili Fainga'a in Canberra and always watched Colby/Saia/Anthony...

If I was him I would def be looking at Force/Rebels - and they would be not to offer him something if he was coming to the end of his time with the Brumbies....you would HOPE the Force/Rebels wouldnt look over-seas before there own backyard which they have done somewhat the last couple of seasons...

I am unsure when he is contracted to...I am guessing prob the end of the year..

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
He's probably got theee main options.

1) start focusing on playing no.6 now that Kimlin has announced he is leaving at the end of the season, while still being Pocock's understudy.
2) move to the Rebels at the end of the season who are short of a quality 7
3) take up an option overseas while he is still young

Hopefully he can stay at Brumbies given he's a local lad.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Would love to see him at the force but hodgo may have a year or two left and alcock seems to have the goods ands he is only 25 so not sure he would want to be benched again. And there is a local 7 i hope to see in the next couple of years come through.

He would be a walk up start at the rebels you would think he would be nuts not to look at other offers. There is only so much you can learn from players like smith and pocock you need to be on the field week in week out.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

1) start focusing on playing no.6 now that Kimlin has announced he is leaving at the end of the season, while still being Pocock's understudy.

He's Tonga eligible so I think if he hasn't cracked the scene by 2015 I'd take up this option but he should just keep plugging away till then.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

He won't be a starting 6 for the Brumbies........ too small........

humanbeast

Ted Fahey (11)
He needs to find a team where he gets game time, he's too good to be potentially not even in a game day squad

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Ant & Saia only signed a 1 year deal with the Reds. Chance all 3 could be at the Rebels. Would be great to see Ant back at 12.

Really don't want to see them leave but Hanson and CFS probably have more upside in the years to come.

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
I think I read that Smith will be at the Brumbies only for 3 months - that enough for Colby to move on?
If Colby will not be in the game day squad it will be for that three months, but I doubt that anyway.
If he goes it will be bacause he doesn't want to sit long term behind Pocock, not because of Smith.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I feel he has 2 real options atm that if I was him would be looking at

- Look at Force/Rebels - and he would need to do this for next season..because you would think he wont have a real crack at the Brumbies starting 15 for at least 2 years.

- Or look at France/Europe and play for Tonga - which I believe he could do...and considering his brother played for Tonga last year there is a connection there to work off.

I honestly feel sorry for him because you really got the feeling that the Brumbies got him straight out of college to replace Smith and really looked like he would be the 3rd Fainga'a in the Wallabies...but with injures + the Brumbies buying new players really limited his chances...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Not going to happen..... 6 needs to jump in the lineout.........

Brumbies 6's under White: Kimlin, Mowen, Fardy, Fotu.......

For the same reason he's also unlikely to start at 8.........

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
He is unlucky that he is playing when Australia have some incredible options at 7. His best options for international rugby probably are:

a) Play in France, and declare for Tonga. However he'd be warned that French teams were rumoured to offer other South Sea Islanders bonuses not to play in the 2011 World Cup.
b) Play in Ireland, England, Scotland or Wales and qualify through residency. Now I am not a fan of this rule in the slightest in fact I wasn't happy seeing Richardt Strauss and Michael Bent pull on the green jersey. However while its around, from an Irish perspective, Munster and Ulster should at least contact him to see if he is interested. At the very least he'll get a few years in Europe to work on his game and experience another rugby environment.

namtrak

Tom Lawton (22)
Queenslanders may have a better idea, but I've heard that the fourth brother has a bit about him as well. Vili Fainga'a

T

Train Without a Station

Rebels is the only option that makes sense. They don't have a quality 7, every other Australian team has a test capped 7. Does anybody know Fainga'a's contract status for next season? The Rebels would be mad not to talk to him.

Also RE Vili, a mate of mine played with him at UQ only 3 seasons ago. Considering my mate wasn't playing prems at Uni, Super Rugby would be a huge jump in only 3 or 4 seasons.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Rebels is the only option that makes sense. They don't have a quality 7, every other Australian team has a test capped 7. Does anybody know Fainga'a's contract status for next season? The Rebels would be mad not to talk to him.

Also RE Vili, a mate of mine played with him at UQ only 3 seasons ago. Considering my mate wasn't playing prems at Uni, Super Rugby would be a huge jump in only 3 or 4 seasons.

Colby's contract runs out end of this season. Vili now plays no.7 for Tonga in their Pacific Nations Cup team, he goes alright.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Rebels would be the best option. I could see the advantage in them offering the 3 brothers a package deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.