• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Colts 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Does anyone know if there is a National squad being picked from the U19 weekend? If so who has been picked?

One of the issues is that kids in this age group could come from a variety of areas: Colts, Schools, or Juniors.

Each of these affiliates seem to claim some form of ownership for kids in the target ages.

Hopefully the various strategic studies and reviews under way will resolve this confusion over responsibilities.

The AJRU Charter seems to go to Under 19.

.../snip/...

The AJRU and QJRU are 50 years old and are charged under their constitutions to look after junior club rugby players up to the age of 19.
.../snip/...

Many School kids outside the GPS/CAS/ISA system play colts rugby, because there is no regular school competition for them, or there is no SJRU Opens team in their area.

Some 18 year old Schoolboys are physically able to play high level Under 19 age grade rugby, but may be "invisible" to AJRU or Colts rep selectors.

Rob

Sydney Middleton (9)
Any word yet on the make-up of the National Academy players for NSW
National academy for NSW has already been picked. Nothing to do with the U19 weekend. From what I have been told they are largely based around Aust U20s and club rugby performances. There is no list that I am aware of.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
60 is bordering on three teams once you get injuries/unavailablities etc. That's what Gordon found this season anyway. Another 5 - 10 more and you have it covered!

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
60 is bordering on three teams once you get injuries/unavailablities etc. That's what Gordon found this season anyway. Another 5 - 10 more and you have it covered!
We can count 80 or so, but there will be the usual attrition of lads that age due to work, women and wild times. Should manage 3 teams. Some excellent talent have showed up or indicating they will after HSC.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
That is good news for the Mighty Two Blues, and a good reward for the efforts of the Club Management and Coaching team.

A competetive Parramatta and Penrith are essential for the future of the Shute shield.

The team at Parramatta have shown that it is possible. Other clubs should stop whinging about how bad things are and how [insert club name] is always poaching talent and doesn't do any of their own development, and simply get on with the job of recruiting, developing talent.

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
That is good news for the Mighty Two Blues, and a good reward for the efforts of the Club Management and Coaching team.

A competetive Parramatta and Penrith are essential for the future of the Shute shield.

The team at Parramatta have shown that it is possible. Other clubs should stop whinging about how bad things are and how [insert club name] is always poaching talent and doesn't do any of their own development, and simply get on with the job of recruiting, developing talent.

Over 40 new players attended an information night at MRSL Rugby Park. One of the club bosses simply told the boys at the information evening that if they wanted to be treated like rock stars and that if they wanted to be paid they were in the wrong club and should go to a club willing to buy a culture. But if they wanted reward for effort and the satisfaction of rebuilding a great club they were welcome. It got spontaneous applause. I think Parra's on the right track...

Informer

Ward Prentice (10)
Well done to the Parra management. There is no doubt that they have the cattle to perform well in Colts. Like all young men just leaving school it is a big, unknown world out there and they respond to encouraging and welcoming messages. Of cause this needs to be reflected in the delivery in the pre season preparation or they drift away. One of the big issues is administration behind the scenes. Successful clubs need preferably two coaches per team plus an experienced manager who looks after all of the off field matters. The other issue that looses credibility is lack of transparency in the selection process and ongoing communication with the boys; simple but often overlooked. Sounds like they have nailed the most important issues, pride and respect for the great club they are playing for. I wish them well for 2013.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
How are player numbers looking at the other clubs?

I like the no bull dust approach being adopted by Parra. Hopefully it pays off for them.

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)
IMHO, Parra getting their shit together in Colts is fantastic. Should also be considered as warning shot being fired across the bow of the rest of the competition.......particularly those clubs that have systematically raided them over the past decade.

If they manage to keep the vast majority of their emerging developing talent.............look out

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
The thing about a rebuilding club like Para is if the first 2 weeks of the season see some bad losses in Colts, their chances of holding 3 sides together is shot.

On the other hand, if they win in the first 2 weeks then things are coming up roses.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
I wonder about the bleeding hearts on this website. Yes the 2Blues have struggled for numbers but do you all realise that in the Rugby Heartland Gordon couldn't even field a third grade colts team. Not only that but their second grade colts team averaged at least a 50 point weekly loss. I'm more concerned with this situation as opposed to the patronising posts vis a vis the 2Blues. Paternalism was an old concept that didn't work.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I wonder about the bleeding hearts on this website. Yes the 2Blues have struggled for numbers but do you all realise that in the Rugby Heartland Gordon couldn't even field a third grade colts team. Not only that but their second grade colts team averaged at least a 50 point weekly loss. I'm more concerned with this situation as opposed to the patronising posts vis a vis the 2Blues. Paternalism was an old concept that didn't work.

Are you being ironic on purpose?

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Well 2 Blues has answered some questions put to him and kept us informed of the progress Parramatta has made in rebuilding their colts. Maybe we could start similar postings about Gordon if someone wants to provide some info on what they are doing to rebuild and what the numbers look like this year for their colts sides

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Given what they are posting about Penrith on the Shute Shield Thread, there could be some colts issues with the Emus.

In Season 2012 Parramatta did not field teams in Colts 2 or Colts 3.
In Season 2012 Penrith and Gordon did not field teams in Colts 3.

It would seem that Parramatta will most likely manage 3 teams for 2013.

Anyone have any reports on recruiting and possible player numbers from Gordon and Penrith Colts?

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)
Given what they are posting about Penrith on the Shute Shield Thread, there could be some colts issues with the Emus.

In Season 2012 Parramatta did not field teams in Colts 2 or Colts 3.
In Season 2012 Penrith and Gordon did not field teams in Colts 3.

It would seem that Parramatta will most likely manage 3 teams for 2013.

Anyone have any reports on recruiting and possible player numbers from Gordon and Penrith Colts?

Haven't read the Shute Shield thread yet, so forgive me if it's been repeated. But let's not forget, Penrith have to show cause to SRU to have their colts allowed back in 2013. They were kicked out prior to the last round in 2012 for too many forfeits.

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)

Interesting comments lily.

Ignoring the drivel, I too am interested to see how Gordon is shaping up. Love em or hate em, they are just as important to the strength of the comp as our western suburbs brothers are to

Status
Not open for further replies.