• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cooking meat outdoors

How should meat be cooked outdoors?

• Total voters

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
PaarlBok said:
Dankie Moses for starting this one, myself love making a fire with flames, hell donkey drops (coals) dont leave enough charge office coffee time. I only use them if I cant find decend wood and will mix it. In SA your best wood is kameeeldoring (camel thorn), if you make a huge fire with it, you,ll still be able to braai the next morning and you get it from Inland areas.

The wood in the Simpson desert is quite simply the best wood I have ever used for cooking while camping, it burns down to beautiful coals that have such an even and long lasting heat.

The best meal I ever did on the coals was a roast lamb stuffed with garlic, rosemary and anchovies (trust me, the anchovies cook down and leave a salty taste...) cooked over onions and port in a cast iron camp oven.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
MrTimms said:
PaarlBok said:
Dankie Moses for starting this one, myself love making a fire with flames, hell donkey drops (coals) dont leave enough charge office coffee time. I only use them if I cant find decend wood and will mix it. In SA your best wood is kameeeldoring (camel thorn), if you make a huge fire with it, you,ll still be able to braai the next morning and you get it from Inland areas.

The wood in the Simpson desert is quite simply the best wood I have ever used for cooking while camping, it burns down to beautiful coals that have such an even and long lasting heat.

The best meal I ever did on the coals was a roast lamb stuffed with garlic, rosemary and anchovies (trust me, the anchovies cook down and leave a salty taste...) cooked over onions and port in a cast iron camp oven.
Sounds great, a cast iron camp oven, is this similiar to our potjie? Black three foot pot.

Next time you do this add potatoes cut in half and maybe a few whole peeled carrots. Should be close to boer food.

Ja your desert type woods seems to produce a good coal, they are tough trees. All our thorn trees (doring hout) produce some beautifull coals.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
your potjie (pronounced poy-kee ??) pots are much bigger, and from what I've seen you cook meat slowly for most of the day in them. Camp ovens are heavy, and generally not huge. Mine is maybe a foot diameter, round, and you stick it in the coals to roast stuff.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Moses said:
your potjie (pronounced poy-kee ??) pots are much bigger, and from what I've seen you cook meat slowly for most of the day in them. Camp ovens are heavy, and generally not huge. Mine is maybe a foot diameter, round, and you stick it in the coals to roast stuff.
Potjiekos is usually the boer name for stew type meals. Sound interesting the camp oven. Sometimes I use simply foil to do the roast thing for lamb tails (love the fatty ones), and whole onions. Dunno if you get it in Aus but Chilli Aromat usual chat with the tails as spice, simply cover each tail onion with foil and put oit on your side coals while doing the braai. Keep turning them and is flippen nice. All depend on what potjie your doing but I never cook it longer then two hours. You obvious roast a leg of lamb aswell.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
It's hard to get aromat here, mostly due to the MSG content. I do love it though and often pick one up from the saffa shop, which conveniently is just around the cornewr from me.

I have a saffa mate who spends 6 hours cooking his potjie pot, is very tasty when he's done.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Time to pull out the pictures the Hangi I did with Jonnosan.

1. Dig a hole, buuld a fire

2. Heat up anything iron + river stones, pile them in the hole

3. Water it, cover it with soil, take a drinks break for about 4 hours

4. Stick your hand into the cold cold earth

5. Dig it all up and put it directly on the fire and have a BBQ

Attachments

• P4030033.JPG
    P4030033.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 410
  • P4030050.JPG
    P4030050.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 365
  • P4030059.JPG
    P4030059.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 359
  • P4030060.JPG
    P4030060.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 352
  • P4030074.JPG
    P4030074.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 326

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Nice attempt though Scarfy, just a few questions...

Why river stones, don't they explode when heated?
That looks like a pretty small fire to head a lump of rail track, how hot did it get? Did it change colour?
What's the beer?

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
We were told river stones by Jury, I think. Didn't explode. They fizzed, though. Actually, maybe we were told, anything BUT river stones.

The iron all got really hot, but not red hot by any means. Lack of hotness, plus, I would say, lack of constant trickle of water, plus coolness of soil, meant that our side of Roo, bags of vegies, etc, were pleasantly cool to the touch.

Nastro Azzurro. Jonnosan's selection.

R

rugbywhisperer

Witnessed a very nasty accident while Boy Scout many, many years ago.
3 of us were hiking through Blue Gum Forest ( heaven on earth) and we lined our campfire with fresh riverstone and one actually did explode and destroyed the whole arrangement. Lost all or cooking food and billies.
Luckily no one was anywhere near but it could have been very nasy with that shrapnel flying around.
Sounded like an explosion when it went off, one piece putting a hole through the tent the size of a fist.
Have never done it since.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
We had one blow up at Myall Lakes, there was a fireplace already built so I didn't think they would be a problem.. exploded good and a hot rock fragment landed on my leg, flicked it off quickly and it burnt a hole in our towel!

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
OK also have a few braai photos

My Braai Pie when getting started
braaipie1.png

the finish product

braaipie.png

my favourate braai spot and just sometimes when I go for a Charge Office Coffee refill, Ma (Mrs) took control (this can be chaotic)
lorraine.png

hey and the real Boere way to braai
dambraai.png

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
That Braai in the pool is fantastic. :thumb Saffers and Ausies have some common ground PB, women near the BBQ is a big no no. :lmao:

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Thomond78 said:
You can take the Boer out of Namaqualand, but... ::)
What you mean? must say that charge office coffee look pretty orange for my liking, studente dop. ;)

Ruggo thats our living space in the summer. Must say my Mrs is old enough to know the braai is a no, no. My barman 9oldest laaitie) is now back, so she dont have to help out and promise you my braai experties sometimes the only reason why they still hold on to Oom PB. Love braaiing.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
PaarlBok said:
Thomond78 said:
You can take the Boer out of Namaqualand, but... ::)
What you mean? must say that charge office coffee look pretty orange for my liking, studente dop. ;)

Ruggo thats our living space in the summer. Must say my Mrs is old enough to know the braai is a no, no. My barman 9oldest laaitie) is now back, so she dont have to help out and promise you my braai experties sometimes the only reason why they still hold on to Oom PB. Love braaiing.

The other half of the (altered) proverb would be... "but you can't take Namakwaland out of the Boer", Oom.

;)

I also note in passing that Mfr. PB is braaing in Paarl Gim colours.

Anyhoo, this seems an appropriate place to introduce this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq2SOmwzjUU

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Scarfman said:
BBQing in a pool. Simply awesome, Paarl.
My braai (the one where the Mrs braai) is a half cut gas bottle I bought for R30 about 9 years ago and a friend put the wheels on it. So I can move it anywhere and the gas bottles is tough and dont rust or burn through easily. Gas Bottles give you the exact width for a close grill (braai pie) and enough space to make a fire on the side while braaing on the other side. Fit some iron just the right length of the grill to make it fit in and also have SS grill fix the right size to fit both sides to have a full on grilling space. I hate SS because the Mrs always want to wash the bloody thing. I like the rusted type cheap stuff grills, you just burn it off with the flames and use a steel brush to clean it properly. I dont like the fitted build braais or indoor braais you get here. You have to clean them every time after being used and I always leave ash on the bottom of my gas bottle. For some reason the old ash give the braai meat much better flavour and smell. Hell nothing beats the smell of braai meat.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Thomond78 said:
I also note in passing that Mfr. PB is braaing in Paarl Gim colours.
No she have my favourate Bokkie shirt and PT pants on. Hell thats why I love her so much and still married for 24 years . :thumb

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
OK time we get this one starting up again, one day away from rugby and nothing beat a braai after a good game of rugby!

I'll start up with the easy braaier, steaks.

Now I hate steak thats been braaied in a pan or on the solid iron stuff. Steak love the flames, the hotter the coals the better. The secret of steak is to get quality meat. You cant expect to get them from a old cow, younger the better. One of the first friends you make after moving in a new place is the butcher. I usually look for the one that make the best boerewors because a butcher must know a thing about meat if he can make a good boerewors. Never buy steak from the big shops, they always throw specials with thin skin types. If you want to braai steak, the T Bone is made for the fireand it have to be cut thick, 5 cm minimum and try to get the ones with the biggest fillet. Always try to get the ripe ones also and if its a little bit smelly, just throw a bit of lemon juice or vinegar before braaiing. I love using a basting sauce when braaiing , so I'll marinate not longer then 2 hours before braaing. You want your steak to taste like real meat. Oh and T Bones you need to cut at the sirloin sidejust through the fatty part.

Right so the steak is ready and the fire also. I braai my steak with hot heat, a few flames just about right. I'll place the grill and wait till its very hot before start braaiing. The first two turns you have to leave it to seal proper. I love a rear/med steak , the kids well done (geoffer). On the side your basting sauce was heated on the side of the grill, so you need to dip the steak init just before done, the last two turns. Never put salt or spice on a steak before or during braai. The basting sauce do the job. Steak isnt a meat you can put in the low oven or on the side of the fire , nope you have to eat it as soon as it was braaied. My Mrs always make a nice mushroom sauce with mush rooms, fresh cream, mushroom soup thickener and milk. Only one thing go with steak, call chips and off couse a very good red wine.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Dont you lot braai steak? :nta:

Forgot to mention TBone = nearer the bone sweeter the meat or in boer, tussen die bene sit die sagste vleis!