• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cooking meat outdoors

How should meat be cooked outdoors?

• Total voters

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
PB, Im off to a Braai at one of my Saffa mate's places next week. He has just built a new setup with an adjustable grill over a brick fire pit. I will get some pics and make sure I put them up. He has is just getting into commercial production of Biltong which I am really enjoying, even though I have never got into jerky. He is about to start production of the Boerwors which I am really looking forward to.

He makes a stew in the pot you were talking about earlier in the thread. It has alot of ingredients, but one of them is copious amounts of coca-cola - can you tell me what that is called.

Also, I thought it was strange making toasted sangas on the barbie until he braaied the cheese tomato and onion ones a while back.

You definitely have some great things to put on the bbq over there.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
BBQ steak all the time. T bone is for special occaisons as it is a bit expensive for me. Rump is one I BBQ alot. Whole fish is one of my favorate things to BBQ. Get whatever is in the fridge and stuff the cavity where the guts were, wrap up in alfoil and throw on the BBQ.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I know many people use Coca Cola over their steak as a marinade. Living in the winelands, nothing beats Ox Blood (Dry Red Wine) and most use it to give the potjie taste and as a sauce for the potjie food. Myself use to make a lot of different potjies. Nothing beats a Ox Tail potjie but there are many different types.

I have some nice recepies (anything about any Boer food) if you want to give it to your friend. It is in word file format, maybe I should send it to Moses and he can put it up in the thread for those interesting init or otherwise you can pm me your adress and I'll send it to you.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Ruggo said:
BBQ steak all the time. T bone is for special occaisons as it is a bit expensive for me. Rump is one I BBQ alot.
Interesting, in SA TBone is the cheaper one compare to rump. I pay about R50 per kilo TBone and R70 per kilo Rump.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
That's alright PB. T bone is around the $20 per kilo mark in my part of Australia. I don't know what it is worth in the southern parts. The Rump I get is $10 a kilo. I buy it whole and carve it up myself and it is always tender. Some as steaks and some as roast.

Where I live is big cattle country but it is all shipped to South East Asia as live export. We never get the top quallity stuff.

When I was in school my mate's father was a stock inspector for the NT Government. He would often do a whole beast (in Australia we call it a "killer") That was the most lean and tender meat ever. You just can't get that quallity from the shop.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
T-Bone is the cut I eat most commonly, it works well cause you get the great tasting fillet combined with the affordability of the sirloin to fill you up. I'm really like a seeded mustard to go with it as well.

Blue is how I order it these days, seared on high heat on both sides then cooked on a low heat for a short period. Still mooing, awesome.

I have to get the butcher to cut them for me though, seems they don't keep T-Bones 3 fingers fat on the shelf.

Paarl said:
Oh and T Bones you need to cut at the sirloin sidejust through the fatty part.
Can you explain what you mean by this?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Moses said:
T-Bone is the cut I eat most commonly, it works well cause you get the great tasting fillet combined with the affordability of the sirloin to fill you up. I'm really like a seeded mustard to go with it as well.

Blue is how I order it these days, seared on high heat on both sides then cooked on a low heat for a short period. Still mooing, awesome.

I have to get the butcher to cut them for me though, seems they don't keep T-Bones 3 fingers fat on the shelf.

Paarl said:
Oh and T Bones you need to cut at the sirloin sidejust through the fatty part.
Can you explain what you mean by this?
The sirlion side have a tendinous (hope I got the word right "sening") fattish edge. You need to cut that through. When you braai it on hot heat the meat will bend. Ja, I love me steak much more raw then the family, a good vet must still be able to keep the cattle alive.

Ruggo fillet is the best steak but I want meat with caracter. Rump is also lovely, like the fatty part of it.

Do you guys ever try to braai or roast a whole lamb rib?

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I've had a rack of lamb ribs a few times, prefer pork ribs it must be said. Would be pretty small wouldn't it?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I always throw half a rack of lamb ribs with my choppies and chicken wings. Ask the bucther to give you a whole rib without the flank, same with pork , only the ribs without the belly tits. Then you cut the meat side of the ribs in smallies (bigger for the pork) squares deep to the bone. I usually like my spice on ribs, lamb you rub it in specially where you cut it. Try to get coriander in the braai spice for the lamb ribs. Pork ribs will do with some spare rib basting sauce, but like the steak only paint it towards the end. Braai it whole, and cut it before you serve it in smaller pieces. Oven roast lamb ribs is like a leg roast. Just put it in a oven pan and roast it. Another nice lamb roast is whole lamb neck. Taste the best a day after the meal, cold. The best road food you'll get and you just break that neck bones and eat the meat from the bones.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
PaarlBok said:
I have some nice recepies (anything about any Boer food) if you want to give it to your friend. It is in word file format, maybe I should send it to Moses and he can put it up in the thread for those interesting init or otherwise you can pm me your adress and I'll send it to you.

PB, I'd love to get my hands on that. I think I have my email address in my profile.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I'd be keen to have a read as well, Paarl can you attach it to a forum post? Just click Preview when writing your reply, then click 'Additional Options'. Click in the Attach section and add your word doc.

I had a very nice T-Bone on ANZAC day, 780 grams, almost 3 fingers fat.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
OK here we go, unfortanetly in afrikaans, if there are you want translated I'll try my best.

Attachments

• Boer Food.doc
    817 KB · Views: 1,585

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Moses said:
I'd be keen to have a read as well, Paarl can you attach it to a forum post? Just click Preview when writing your reply, then click 'Additional Options'. Click in the Attach section and add your word doc.

I had a very nice T-Bone on ANZAC day, 780 grams, almost 3 fingers fat.
Great hope the TBeen went off well!

OK I tried that one above but when I try to open the file I get a strange message but look like it work if you use the save as function to get it on the PC.

Anyway now that Mosie taught me this , I have this lovely Cheese Cake recipies aswell to share. Thats your poerring (pudding) or like we call it in Boer "Dwars Lepel", Cross spoon, the way the pudding spoon is on the table.

Attachments

• Cheesecake Lovers.pdf
    416.2 KB · Views: 579

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Scarfy, loving the irony of your T-Shirt.

How's the piss-free year going?

index.php

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Gagger said:
Scarfy, loving the irony of your T-Shirt.

How's the piss-free year going?

What irony? I'm like a rock.

Piss-free year? Did I say that?? I've lost about 5kgs this year by drinking moderately and exercising a bit more. I didn't drink for about 2 months, and now I reckon I only drink about 2 night a week these days, which is about the right amount, I think.

S

Spook

This is a great thread. I'm looking to BBQing in Oz when I return in July. I've been putting off buying a BBQ over here as we were always going to leave at some point. I've a webber in my parents garage that's been collecting dust for 10 years.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I reckon Weber's do a pretty good job. We once stuck a leg of lamb of lamb in there, left the holes shut, and the thing was cooked, smoked, and pink, all at the same time. Absolutely stunning flavour.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Like most Aussies I've got a silver gas monster, but can't deny that the webber we use on hols or at the office gnerates a far better taste