• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cooking meat outdoors

How should meat be cooked outdoors?

• Total voters

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
OK my normal sunday afternoon braai, boere wors, few chicken wings, pork neck steak, lamb rib and leg choppies.

braai1.jpg

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Newb said:
that all just for you PB? :thumb

And this, let's remember, with red wine; when Afrikaners are one of the single ethnic groups most susceptible to gout. :lmao:

Braaied myself last night; tried an experiment whereby, in the last few minutes finishing off the steaks, I lobbed some sprigs of fresh rosemary onto the coals underneath them to get the flavour of the rosemary up into the meat. Definitely worked, so I'll be trying it with thyme and rosemary next time.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Thomond78 said:
Newb said:
that all just for you PB? :thumb

And this, let's remember, with red wine; when Afrikaners are one of the single ethnic groups most susceptible to gout. :lmao:
Shhhhhh Thomo I find a way to fight the gout these days, swallow a handfull of white and yellow small and big pills beforehand.

Newb that feed my family of 4. The left overs, well nothing beats a cold choppie on monday lunch time. :thumb

G

Geeves

I've got two Webbers a gas and charcoal one.

Use the gas all the time for the quick dinners and stirfry stuff. The charcoal one gets used when I get the time for everything but mainly the expensive cuts, all the roasted meats, ribs, and especially baking hams (if you haven't baked a ham in the webber you don't know what you are missing. Just score the skin (don't take it off) and fat and the cracking is fantastic after an hour or so (depending on size).

The flavour you get from the gas is neutral (unless you add wood chips), the charcoal adds a real flavour and colour. But without doubt the best is a wood fire. The extra smoke you get is fantastic. Grew-up using wood for everything but the neighbours got ancy when I moved in and started up the chain saw so went to charcoal and then gas in the last couple of years for ease and the side burner (the webber charcoal wok is a pain in the arse).

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Thomond78 said:
Braaied myself last night; tried an experiment whereby, in the last few minutes finishing off the steaks, I lobbed some sprigs of fresh rosemary onto the coals underneath them to get the flavour of the rosemary up into the meat. Definitely worked, so I'll be trying it with thyme and rosemary next time.
Interesting concept you got there. We have our natural wood flavour with our Rooi Krantz wood. The best smell you'd get. I do find my outdoor braai giving a better flavour then the indoor braais. Some guys clean their braai but myself dont, the old ash at the bottom add that something special when braaiing. Clean braais (you have to clean them because of the smell) tend to dont give you that chargoal and flavour braai effect. Mind you as a kid my dad use to braai in the veld (flower time during July to Oct in Namaqualand) on the ground using stones at the corner of the grills pretty much the best way of braaiing in mother nature.

Here is the meat finally done. Hope I dont bore you lot with the pictures.

braai2.jpg

I always marinate my pork steaks and leg chops in basting sauce (usually use Steers Spare Rib flavour) for a hour beforehand and leave it at the bottom of the braai bak.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Thomond78 said:
...I'll be trying it with thyme and rosemary next time.

Add a bit of sage, Thomo, gives it some nice greeniness. And sprinkle some parsley before you serve it, just for decoration.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Lind, sage is a dangerous bloody herb. A bit's great, but too much is too much - and it's far too easy to put too much in.

I'll try it, but I suspect it'll only really work with lamb. With beef, I'm not sure.

Have some cuttings I saved from my vines last year, so I'll try them; h'apparently, vine wood gives a fantastic flavour to meat.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
For those of us in Sydney who like a bit of Braai (and biltong), this is the place I go to. It's in Lane Cove. Had some great meat from there, including awesome 1kg boerewors, and I stock up on biltong whenever I'm passing, although it is pretty expensive.

http://springbokdelights.com.au/

Have to admit I only use gas bbqs (unless camping) and while they might not have the taste of coals or timber they work a whole lot better if you want to fire it up for a quick steak on a weeknight.

Anyone else got any good biltong suppliers btw? I thought about starting a biltong thread too, but figured I should see if there's any interest before I get too carried away...

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Get the Biltong thread going stat! Bought myself a dehydrator on eBay.. playing with marinades these days and getting something decent going, but nothing on springbok delights.

Give us a buzz next time you're at springbok delights - I live about 2 k's from there

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Mmmmmm, biltong.
You know, I lived not even 1km from there for years, and of course now I don't, there is biltong!
Road trip!

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Havent post here in a long time. Think its not exactly the same thing Ruggo. We are so lucky in SA, get biltong at every single shop or cafe. My kids school food box always have a biltong sandwich. Best balance lunch for any kid.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I was looking around for the best combo of straight bbqing + roasting and bought a Weber Q.

Have used it in different modes 3 times this week (steak, lamb, fish) and can highly recommend it:

http://www.weberbbq.com.au/weberq.htm

Will cook a pizza in there shortly and will report back.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Looks good. Anyone know of any SA restaurants in Sydney? I have a Bucks Party in the works for September. There will be a few Saffa's in attendance. For as long as I can remember they have raved on about a Braai. Most importantly it appears to be 'real' mans food, something 30-40 odd blokes could enjoy.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Ribs & Rump?
It is modelled on steakhouses in SA and was started by some expats.
Meat from a dozen breeds of cattle with a dozen different cuts and a dozen varieties of beer

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
My neighbour (who is from Stellenbosch) cooked up some very tidy boere wors last Friday night. An absolute festival of meat products, beer and footy it was. He used a Webber and a cage like contraption to contain the big circular sausage. It worked very well. I have one of those big hooded BBQ arrangements and run it off gas. It's never let me down.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Looks good. Anyone know of any SA restaurants in Sydney? I have a Bucks Party in the works for September. There will be a few Saffa's in attendance. For as long as I can remember they have raved on about a Braai. Most importantly it appears to be 'real' mans food, something 30-40 odd blokes could enjoy.
If they are real Saffers,you buy the meat and they will braai it for you.