• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Could the Kiwi's be losing Dan Carter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
http://www.espnscrum.com/2011-rugby-world-cup/rugby/story/148958.html

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/13092011/58/world-cup-carter-concern-blacks.html

http://www.google.com/hostednews/af...cId=CNG.37f490980793ed822010b69c4858a6ab.1031

Carter looks unlikely to be playing against Japan after a 'back injury' suffered during last weekends opening clash against Tonga. Not sure if this is a legitimate concern or just the Kiwi's putting him in cotton wool but by the way he's been playing ever since the final Bledisloe I'd be willing to say he's been carrying an injury for quite some time.

Thoughts? Is the hand slowly tightening around the throat? Can the Kiwi's win it without him if it's worse than they are portraying?

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Carter looks unlikely to be playing against Japan after a 'back injury' suffered during last weekends opening clash against Tonga. Not sure if this is a legitimate concern or just the Kiwi's putting him in cotton wool but by the way he's been playing ever since the final Bledisloe I'd be willing to say he's been carrying an injury for quite some time.

Thoughts? Is the hand slowly tightening around the throat? Can the Kiwi's win it without him if it's worse than they are portraying?

If he's crocked, he's crocked. Has nothing to do with chokes, cotton wool, conspiracies..

What does every fucking thing to do with NZ / All Blacks / RWC have to be put in 'quotes" and then portayed as some sort of stupid conspiracy to avoid choking blah blah.

For fucks sake, it was Tonga, who run hard & hurt hard, and DC tackles like a demon. If he got hurt, he got hurt, he gets a week off to recover.

T

tblackadder

if he is injured we could send someone else (maybe nick evans) out with a carter mask - like el cid

and still win

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
If he's crocked, he's crocked. Has nothing to do with chokes, cotton wool, conspiracies..

What does every fucking thing to do with NZ / All Blacks / RWC have to be put in 'quotes" and then portayed as some sort of stupid conspiracy to avoid choking blah blah.

For fucks sake, it was Tonga, who run hard & hurt hard, and DC tackles like a demon. If he got hurt, he got hurt, he gets a week off to recover.

It was more of a hypothetical MR, I'd just hate to see the "we didn't have Dan Carter" excuse used..

You have to understand that I go for Australia and any chance I get to use the 'choker' tag, I'm going to take.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
It was more of a hypothetical MR, I'd just hate to see the "we didn't have Dan Carter" excuse used..

You have to understand that I go for Australia and any chance I get to use the 'choker' tag, I'm going to take.

We haven't even qualififed for the fucking quarter finals yet and your already projecting how we are going to be using an excuse of 'choking' once again, (aassuming we don't win), because he picked up a slight injury vs Tonga & doesnt play vs Japan?

Fuck me, I've seen some long bows drawn, but this is a beauty.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yeah I'm with MR. It's like the Kiwis reaction to Digby's injury- on the one hand he is a great player who I love watching and would be sad to see injured, but on the other I can't help tinking that it enhances the Wallabies chances dramatically.

FWIW I can't see him missing more than the Japan game. An injury-carrying Dan Carter is still a better player than a fit Colin Slade. By miles.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Back injury he has been carrying for some time, word going round h will play big matches only and will hardly train.

Interesting, it's a shame, I go for Australia but would prefer every tea, to be at full strength, the cupwould suffer from Carter not being at his best

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Obviously never read my posts... it's an over the top reaction by me - i'm quite famous for them.

Nothing personal, of course. Put yourself in my shoes for a day and see how much the choking/conspiracy thing gets on your tits.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
Slade is a capable back up and he doesn't have the defensive frailities of Cooper.
Tonga are big boys and hit hard. I don't blame the AB's for backing off a little after putting the game in the bag.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Back injury he has been carrying for some time, word going round h will play big matches only and will hardly train. Interesting, it's a shame, I go for Australia but would prefer every tea, to be at full strength, the cupwould suffer from Carter not being at his best

FWIW, a number of us sitting close to the line at the S15 Final sensed DC wasn't at his physical/athletic best. His running etc, something seemed to be slightly holding him back.

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
Even if Carter is ruled out for the rest of the tournament. I fear the bloke who has been waiting for his opportunity.

I mean let's think of the case of Chris Whittaker waiting for Gregan to hurt himself. Quality player.

hedgo

Frank Nicholson (4)
i have already posted that i find the choking thing dull - this doesn't take the edge off my desire to see the wobs win. the injury thing is a strange one. i was in nz in feb/march and watched some super 15 with the locals. kieran read was the bloke who impressed me (scared me the most) and I had the feeling he would be the bloke to watch come world cup time. when he was injured i admit having mixed feelings. nobody wants to see great players miss big tournaments but secretly part of you is thinking 'shit we got lucky there.' i hope both read and carter (diggers too) make it back and that we thump them anyway. would be the best of all possible results.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
If Carter goes out (or just plays badly) I think the ABs need SBW at inside. At his best Carter delivers the kind of running game that means you can have a hit-up merchant at 12; if he's crook, then you need to bring in a bit of extra play-making ability.

Shit, this is potentially awful news. Though that little ball Slade gave to Nonu gives me a bit of hope..

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
It's a fair question re Carter (the injury, not the choking that's just a very cheap poke), he's been off his game in the last two games, particularly in the tackling department and he cops a back strain. Is it a bit of caution/cotton wool, a nagging injury that just needs rest, or one of those niggling injuries that get worse? Clearly it has the potential to impact the kiwi effort majorly (scuse pun;) ). So we all ponder.

But it is what it is. A mild back strain and some sensible caution over one of the most important players in rugby. Will it get worse? Probably not. Definitely intriguing, as Slade had some serious issues v SAffas which surprised me to be honest, he'd always struck me as a player with that most golden of first five traits, good composure. Going to be fascinating to see how he goes v Japan where his decision making will need to be fast.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Looking at some of the hits the Tongans put on I'm not surprised DC has picked up/reaggrivated an existing injury. There were a couple of tackles, especially one on SBW I noticed where the jolt look like what I'd believe a mini car crash would be like. Even if DC was uninjured I'm sure they would've rested him for the Japan game to give Slade more time. If this DC injury turns out to be a real problem then NZ can thank Henry for not taking DC off for Slade against Tonga earlier.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
Wait. What? Ma'a Nonu doesn't provide play making ability? He's the best 12 in the world at the moment.

I agree, but aside from his long-ball (which he usually uses more in broken-play, rather than on set moves) he doesn't really instigate the plays. Just to be clear I think he's better than SBW, but from a balance perspective things would need to be reassessed.

kambah mick

Chris McKivat (8)
Several contributors including myself remarked after the TN final game that Carter looked to be unable to run at pace and generally holding himself back. Maybe the pummelling he took against Tonga exacerbated some existing injury. Be a pity if he wasnt able to contribute fully to the WC as he is a player I love to watch.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
FWIW, a number of us sitting close to the line at the S15 Final sensed DC wasn't at his physical/athletic best. His running etc, something seemed to be slightly holding him back.

I also had the same impression after watching Carter from the stands in both the S15 final and Tri nations test. I also thought Ritchie was not on his game in both matches because of same reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.