• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Could the Kiwi's be losing Dan Carter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

antipodean

http://www.espnscrum.com/2011-rugby-world-cup/rugby/story/148958.html

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/13092011/58/world-cup-carter-concern-blacks.html

http://www.google.com/hostednews/af...cId=CNG.37f490980793ed822010b69c4858a6ab.1031

Carter looks unlikely to be playing against Japan after a 'back injury' suffered during last weekends opening clash against Tonga. Not sure if this is a legitimate concern or just the Kiwi's putting him in cotton wool but by the way he's been playing ever since the final Bledisloe I'd be willing to say he's been carrying an injury for quite some time.

Thoughts? Is the hand slowly tightening around the throat? Can the Kiwi's win it without him if it's worse than they are portraying?
Non issue.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
FWIW, a number of us sitting close to the line at the S15 Final sensed DC wasn't at his physical/athletic best. His running etc, something seemed to be slightly holding him back.
Yeh R?H I thought he was off that night too. But surely something would have leaked by now?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
If Carter goes out (or just plays badly) I think the ABs need SBW at inside. At his best Carter delivers the kind of running game that means you can have a hit-up merchant at 12; if he's crook, then you need to bring in a bit of extra play-making ability.

Shit, this is potentially awful news. Though that little ball Slade gave to Nonu gives me a bit of hope..
No disrespect to SBW he is a fine rugby player, but I would have Nonu any day of the week before him.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
How about SBW with Nonu at 13? I realise this is a fairly well-trod line of thought, but I think the availability/potency of Carter makes a big difference to the other midfield selections. Nonu needs a play-maker at 10; SBW could play outside me and probably still generate opportunities.

A

antipodean

mate, this is an interwebs forum, the hairspray he uses could be made an issue!
Fair point. It's not receiving a lot of of media attention from the Kiwi press at the moment, so I'm tending to accept it's a minor sprain and the coaches were most likely to give Slade quality time at such an opportunity anyway.

Dan will be fine. It's getting Boric, Woodcock and Read up to speed I'm more concerned about at the moment.

W

wikman

I still dont understand why they are sticking with Slade as Carters reserve, when it appeared in the super 15 that Cruden was a much better play maker. No matter who fills in if Carter gets injured they will be no where near as good as DC.

A

antipodean

I still dont understand why they are sticking with Slade as Carters reserve, when it appeared in the super 15 that Cruden was a much better play maker.
  1. Slade didn't play a lot of Super Rugby, and
  2. Super Rugby is not Test Rugby.

U

Utility Back

Ill add that i think SBW would make just about any nations centre pairing in the world, but nonu and smith is a proven lethal combination.

Like Genia - cooper of the centres

W

wikman

1. Slade didn't play a lot of Super Rugby, and
  2. Super Rugby is not Test Rugby.

Although Test Rugby is nothing like Test Match Rugby Radike Samo has carried amazing form from the Reds season into the Wallabies and RWC i think that Cruden could have done the same. Cruden also offers more in attack than Slade and makes some very dominant tackles.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
Most of his really good form was in the ITM cup, and NPC to Tests is a massive jump. Particularly since Manawatu was mainly playing other second-division teams (although I concede that it's a reasonably even standard).

I do rate the guy though - it baffles me that someone so small can offload so consistently.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
I'm a big fan of SBW, but I can't see him getting ahead of Nonu this year. Nonu is in brutal form. He might not defend as well as SBW, but his linebreaking ability is a huge facet of the AB game and he knows AB patterns backwards. A year too late for SBW I'd say. That said, if ABs do need SBW to play, they won't lose much sleep.

#1?

Larry Dwyer (12)
The RWC is 6 weeks long. The AB's having Carter miss a game as precaution now may pay dividends later.

Also putting the #2 choice in against a "lesser" side will give them good RWC experience.

There is no substitute for time in the middle. Ask "Anthems" Whittaker.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Back injury he has been carrying for some time, word going round h will play big matches only and will hardly train.

Interesting, it's a shame, I go for Australia but would prefer every tea, to be at full strength, the cupwould suffer from Carter not being at his best

If true then it hints of 2007 all over again when he walked into tournament carrying a calf injury that blew up on him in the Qtrs against France. I imagine we will see Henry attempt to build up Slade's confidence through game time although I don't think he is able to take the game by the throat in the big spot.

We may see a narrowing of the AB game plan which could make them more knock-out oriented. Interesting times.

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
Am I the only person who finds Teach's avatar offensive? ie: "Australia - The America of the South Pacific" .....come on Teach, can't we keep this board purely about rugby. Why do you feel the need to make a political stab. For the record I am and Aussie expat that has lived in the states for the last 11 years yet I still find your avatar offensive. I am as proud to be an Aussie as could be and have long been a critic of US foreign policy which has got me into all sorts of arguments over the last decade. Your avatar is a bullshit comment and would appreciate your time if you could come up with something more witty and rugby-relevant.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
Terribly sorry jollyswagman, I didn't realise what sensitive souls some of you are. I take it you are going to have a word with some of your compatriots about their Avatars too. The "Kiwis- Australia's Mexicans" was my inspiration, I find it witty but fail to see the rugby relevance you require in avatars.
I assume also that you have complained about the picture of the Kangaroo violating a kiwi as well that seems so prevalent on this site. Those without a sense of humour may also find that offensive.
But don't worry yourself, if I have some spare time today I will try and find something that won't offend you.

J

Jumpers

Just heard that "Dan the man" will be playing in the Japan game on Sat. Hopefully it was just a minor strain and hes able to resume his playing style. It wouldn't have hurt to give Mr. Slade a run too but I suppose at some stage Mr. Carter will get a rest before the bigger games comes along! While on the Wannabes front Mr. Ioane is out for 3-4weeks with a thumb injury-quicker return if the kiwi docs just cut the thing off. Ha! ha! However his replacement should be Mr. Mitchell or Mr. James O'Connor. Watch this space.

Status
Not open for further replies.