• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

COVID-19 Stuff Here

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Fatality count rising quickly. Qld with 6 (doubling the total). NSW 22 and Vic just reporting 25. All overnight.

ICU and ventilation numbers seem roughly static, but hospitalisation rate is through the roof.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Curious to see the strain responsible for hospitalisations and vax status.

Assume it delta and the proportionate majority are unvaccinated.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
If the Ashes couldn't go ahead i don't see how that could?
Starting to look like NZ cricket are having 2nd thoughts, main problem could be them getting back into NZ after the games as no MIQ spots booked etc. From what I have read , a few of top test players weren't going anyway, basically had enough of quaranting etc?

dru

Tim Horan (67)

There hasn't been a lot of data, but what I've seen is that Delta is a higher percentage of hospitalisations in Vic than NSW. Basically Vic had not gotten on top of the Delta wave to the same extent as elsewhere (prior to Omicron) so it is running at a higher rate.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
The April "Aussies" (Australian Surf Life Saving Championships) were to be held in WA at Scarborough, Trigg Island and Secret Harbour beaches.
Now to be held on the Gold Coast at Broadbeach, North Kirra and Kurrawa.

Thats a lot of spending money not going to WA.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)

I've been looking for those stats unsuccessfully.
Perhaps it's my poor research skills.
I find it hard to understand why the fed Dept of Health and the NSW Health Dept official statistics leave out that information.
You get more data on sewage surveillance than you do on vaccinated/unvaccinated numbers in hospital and ICU.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'm tipping that mandatory boosters will be put on the back burner in Australia (Edit - except for WA)
Here is one crack in the wall of compulsory vaccination:
“there is no need for now for people to have a fourth shot, British health officials said on Friday.” (Reuters, January 7)

Last edited:

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Well like to report fellas, got my PCR text from the path lab at 11:33 last night, "your COVID test on 12/01/2022 is POSITIVE".

Funnily enough, after feeling shit for three days and not hungry at all, last night I wolfed down a decent feed of HM's new version of chili con carne from her latest cookbook purchase. Lots of chili flakes and the best Ozzie Greek yoghurt we've had. She remarked "you're on the mend".

The telltale symptoms I had were a headache and a slight raspiness in my throat; no loss of taste, smell or anything else other than a general unwellness.

I've gotta sing the praises of vaccines, my second AZ dose was in early September so I haven't had a booster, yet. If this is as bad a case of COVID gets for me I'll get through it without too much difficulty.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I've been looking for those stats unsuccessfully.
Perhaps it's my poor research skills.
I find it hard to understand why the fed Dept of Health and the NSW Health Dept official statistics leave out that information.
You get more data on sewage surveillance than you do on vaccinated/unvaccinated numbers in hospital and ICU.

Sewage monitoring provides virus strain data, does it?

I don't think the PCR testing screens automatically for virus strain and the RAT certainly doesn't. The testing is under strain so those ancillary test arrangements would be on a back burner. As I understand the testing protocols, in order to increase efficiency the PCR protocol was to bathe test. I don';t know, say 50 in one hit. If negative that is 50 cleared. If positive you back and test individually. What has happened with Omicron if=s that the positive rate was so high that practically all batches had to be re-tested - a 50 fold increase in work load IF the number of tests were consistent. Which they are not.

Agree that it is hard to find the data on the strain break up. I can't relocate the article I read on it yesterday, and it was not the raw data. But it wen roughly Delta : Omicron; Vic 1:4; NSW 1;10; Qld/SA nominal delta only. Not to be trusted but it's all I could find and I now can't relocate it.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Glad to hear you're on the mend Lindo! Think it was a souvenir from the SCG?

Dunno. Went to a funeral at Joeys on Friday, the chapel there's so voluminous social distancing isn't a problem. HM and I went for a river walk at Penrith on Sunday followed by breakfast at The Coffee Club; got a text on Monday there was an active case present while we were there. That was probably it.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't think the PCR testing screens automatically for virus strain and the RAT certainly doesn't. The testing is under strain so those ancillary test arrangements would be on a back burner. As I understand the testing protocols, in order to increase efficiency the PCR protocol was to batch test. I don';t know, say 50 in one hit. If negative that is 50 cleared. If positive you back and test individually. What has happened with Omicron if=s that the positive rate was so high that practically all batches had to be re-tested - a 50 fold increase in work load IF the number of tests were consistent. Which they are not.

Yep. You can get through an incredible volume of tests with batch testing when the case positivity is very low. Now that's impossible.

Reactions: dru

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well like to reposrt fellas, just got back from myself and Mrs Dan54 being boostered!!

Mine's due on 27/01 & I'm hoping it fully kicks in before Omicron gets loose. Wife & in-laws have significant co-morbidity risks so taking no chances, even got me an isolation plan & stocking up on essentials just in case I get it nonetheless.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I've got my booster tomorrow but honestly I'm only getting it so I can physically attend my mining clients sites. I fully expect that I'll get it at some point this year, feel like shit for a few days and get on with my life. It appears to be the experience of most I've spoken to.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
The April "Aussies" (Australian Surf Life Saving Championships) were to be held in WA at Scarborough, Trigg Island and Secret Harbour beaches.
Now to be held on the Gold Coast at Broadbeach, North Kirra and Kurrawa.

Thats a lot of spending money not going to WA.

Never understood why WA got the gig, well ever! The amount of gear the needs to be carted there and back is incredible. Leave it on the east coast.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Well like to report fellas, got my PCR text from the path lab at 11:33 last night, "your COVID test on 12/01/2022 is POSITIVE".

Funnily enough, after feeling shit for three days and not hungry at all, last night I wolfed down a decent feed of HM's new version of chili con carne from her latest cookbook purchase. Lots of chili flakes and the best Ozzie Greek yoghurt we've had. She remarked "you're on the mend".

The telltale symptoms I had were a headache and a slight raspiness in my throat; no loss of taste, smell or anything else other than a general unwellness.

I've gotta sing the praises of vaccines, my second AZ dose was in early September so I haven't had a booster, yet. If this is as bad a case of COVID gets for me I'll get through it without too much difficulty.

First of all, glad you are feeling better. Second, I'm also glad to read that you didn't seem to fair too badly as I also received my 2nd AZ dose in September and am due my booster on the 24th. Hopefully when I inevitably get it which considering it's currently making its way through my workplace and as I don't have the option of working from home. I will be able to report a similar experience.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I've got my booster tomorrow but honestly I'm only getting it so I can physically attend my mining clients sites. I fully expect that I'll get it at some point this year, feel like shit for a few days and get on with my life. It appears to be the experience of most I've spoken to.

That's been the general theme from those that have been vaccinated and have since caught it. With the exception of my aunt who had to spend a couple of days in hospital in Dublin for a post-Covid infection (immune system is still off after your Covid negative for a bit apparently) and who had been bedridden during her Covid experience.

Apart from that, I know of a large extended family of anti-vaxxers to saw a wave of infections prior to Christmas. Those who were vaccinated (a minority) seemed to brush it off while a number of the others had a pretty torrid week of feeling very unwell.