• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

COVID-19 Stuff Here

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Both are important. The raw numbers are still vital as the starting point whether a population is large or small is always the same. A few cases that then start multiplying exponentially. If you only work with standardised numbers, then the outbreak gets hidden in large countries until it is already out of control.

I wonder whether the ports of entry are relevant here? LA/San Fran are the main ports of entry for the West Coast and most countries through Asia etc. have done a pretty good job of controlling the pandemic. The East Coast and particularly New York as the main port of entry is exposed to the UK and Europe which have generally done a far worse job of containing the pandemic.
That’s a good point. New York is also serviced by all of La Guardia, JFK, and Newark which sees a lot of combined traffic from Europe. So all that combined with a huge population density and it’s not too surprising NYC is having comparatively worse numbers.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
There are also some people floating the idea that reduced travel to Australia because of the bushfires may have helped reduced imported cases early on. Not sure how far down tourism numbers were but it seems logical.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
For sure, but I don't think it's the defining reason why large cities on the US west coast have ducked the New York scenario.

I don't think there will a single reason on why some cities are/were worse off than others. As interesting factoid, I'm listening to Bill Brysons 'The Body' book which I bought months ago. Anyway, he covers a chapter on viruses and here's something that may highlight why New York is worse off than San Fran;

In a similar study at the University of Arizona, researchers infected the metal door handle to an office building and found it took only about four hours for the “virus” to spread through the entire building, infecting over half of employees and turning up on virtually every shared device like photocopiers and coffee machines. In the real world, such infestations can stay active for up to three days.

Which kind of highlights how population density in high risers etc can go ballistic.

A study in Switzerland in 2008 found that flu virus can survive on paper money for two and a half weeks if it is accompanied by a microdot of snot. Without snot, most cold viruses could survive on folding money for no more than a few hours.

Perhaps New York has been smashed more than the west as they use cash to pay for goods more than the younger generation in silicon valley and LA who use Venmo/Apple Pay.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I don't think there will a single reason on why some cities are/were worse off than others. As interesting factoid, I'm listening to Bill Brysons 'The Body' book which I bought months ago. Anyway, he covers a chapter on viruses and here's something that may highlight why New York is worse off than San Fran;

Which kind of highlights how population density in high risers etc can go ballistic.

Perhaps New York has been smashed more than the west as they use cash to pay for goods more than the younger generation in silicon valley and LA who use Venmo/Apple Pay.

They're all possible, particularly the point about viruses being able to spread throughout high rise apartments. Regardless, public health measures such as intense social distancing and sanitation would have been an effective foil against the heightened risks of density.

I was reading about the in/famous slum Dharavi, in Mumbai. 650,000 people living in an area of approx 1.4 square kilometers. That's a spot where social distancing measures are going to probably fall well short of averting a catastrophy.

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
ADD COLOUR!!!

charty.png

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
I'll just leave this story here without comment:

A nudist beach at a quarry pond in the Czech Republic has achieved worldwide fame during the coronavirus pandemic, with even the US news channel CNN reporting a call by the local police to the nude bathers to wear face masks.
The law enforcement officers had posted their warning on the internet under the motto “Naked body yes, open mouth no.”
The appeal appears to have borne fruit, police spokeswoman Marketa Janovska confirmed on Tuesday to dpa.
Over the Easter weekend, a patrol at the gravel pit near the town of Lazne Bohdanec found no further violations of the emergency rules.

The background to the story is that in the Czech Republic wearing a mouth and nose cover has been compulsory in public since March 19 to slow down the spread of the novel coronavirus.
An exception has recently been made for athletes on their own such as joggers outdoors.
But the police spokeswoman made it clear: “Lying naked in the water is not what we consider to be doing sports.”
The spa town of Lazne Bohdanec is located almost 90 kilometres east of Prague in the middle of a landscape dotted by lagoons.
According to the Ministry of Health, there were 6,101 confirmed infections with the novel coronavirus in the Czech Republic up to Tuesday evening; 161 people have died so far.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I'll just leave this story here without comment:

A nudist beach at a quarry pond in the Czech Republic has achieved worldwide fame during the coronavirus pandemic, with even the US news channel CNN reporting a call by the local police to the nude bathers to wear face masks.
The law enforcement officers had posted their warning on the internet under the motto “Naked body yes, open mouth no.”
The appeal appears to have borne fruit, police spokeswoman Marketa Janovska confirmed on Tuesday to dpa.
Over the Easter weekend, a patrol at the gravel pit near the town of Lazne Bohdanec found no further violations of the emergency rules.

The background to the story is that in the Czech Republic wearing a mouth and nose cover has been compulsory in public since March 19 to slow down the spread of the novel coronavirus.
An exception has recently been made for athletes on their own such as joggers outdoors.
But the police spokeswoman made it clear: “Lying naked in the water is not what we consider to be doing sports.”
The spa town of Lazne Bohdanec is located almost 90 kilometres east of Prague in the middle of a landscape dotted by lagoons.
According to the Ministry of Health, there were 6,101 confirmed infections with the novel coronavirus in the Czech Republic up to Tuesday evening; 161 people have died so far.

Sounds like a good place for a holiday