• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

COVID-19 Stuff Here

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Nice.
I think it means we have flattened the curve.
Time to relax restrictions.

I say give it 14 days from now on a similar trajectory; at this point the metrics on the situation in Tasmania, combined with Easter fuckwittery, aren't fully known.

Start testing the shit out of Tasmania as well.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Who knows what the hell happened in Burnie but it shows how quickly the number of cases can explode from a couple of initial cases.

I think we are still a number of weeks away from any sort of meaningful changes in restrictions.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Who knows what the hell happened in Burnie but it shows how quickly the number of cases can explode from a couple of initial cases.

I think we are still a number of weeks away from any sort of meaningful changes in restrictions.

I simply cannot return to work in an office with grownup pants on unless certain guarantees are made.

I've been more productive away from that gaggle of shit in the last 4 weeks than the previous quarter.

I can see the HR people on video calls are shuddering with angst that they can't stand around talking shit for hours on end before starting rumours and creating new and interesting ways to fuck around with performance metrics.

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
But the police spokeswoman made it clear: “Lying naked in the water is not what we consider to be doing sports.”
tenor.gif

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Nice.
I think it means we have flattened the curve.
Time to relax restrictions.

There were 10 additional cases of community transmission reported in Victoria today. (Total with an untraceable source of infection 132 up from 122)
With relaxed restrictions that would potentially have started another outbreak.
I can’t see any relaxation happening until there’s a prolonged period of no community transmission.
A second wave of infection would have a greater economic impact that a few more weeks of restrictions.
Some states are almost there.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
A second wave of infection would have a greater economic impact that a few more weeks of restrictions.

This is definitely something we have to be careful about. There will be a cost for many businesses to recommence and if that then leads to a rapid escalation in cases and we have to do another shutdown it will be crushing.

It's hard to know how exactly we progress the relaxation of restrictions. You ideally want to test the waters so to speak by allowing certain things but you also want that to have an economic benefit.

I.e. there's no point telling everyone that they can go to the park together and we'll see if that results in an outbreak of cases because whilst everyone going to the park might be fun, it's of no economic benefit.

It seems like we will probably need to be even more careful about hygiene, masks and social distancing etc. as we allow more businesses to reopen.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
To be honest I swear Melbourne isn't particularly locked down. I went for my daily allowed walk and ambled down my local main street. Every cafe was open with lines out the front, heaps of clothes stores were open with (one or two) people browsing. A florist was open, a paint store etc. It was quite impressive, I don't think I could tell if there was any difference apart from people lining up outside.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
To be honest I swear Melbourne isn't particularly locked down. I went for my daily allowed walk and ambled down my local main street. Every cafe was open with lines out the front, heaps of clothes stores were open with (one or two) people browsing. A florist was open, a paint store etc. It was quite impressive, I don't think I could tell if there was any difference apart from people lining up outside.
It may have looked rosy but don't forget all the businesses that are forcibly closed down.
Clubs, pubs, cinemas, auctions, tattoo shops, play centres, galleries, and gyms.
All for a disease which has a recovery rate of 98% and we have only lost 61 people to it.
The restrictions are causing a massive downturn in the economy that will have reverberations for years to come.

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
It may have looked rosy but don't forget all the businesses that are forcibly closed down.
Clubs, pubs, cinemas, auctions, tattoo shops, play centres, galleries, and gyms.
All for a disease which has a recovery rate of 98% and we have only lost 61 people to it.
The restrictions are causing a massive downturn in the economy that will have reverberations for years to come.

Don't forget Tasmania's sex workers.

Mind you, I'm not quite sure how one could go about engaging those services while maintaining your 1.5 metres of social distancing.

Anyhow.

Ahem.

According to today's national figures, the number of recovered cases is easily outnumbering the number of active cases by around 1000. Hopefully, within a couple of weeks the recoveries will be making up the vast majority of cases with active cases numbering in the dozens and easily able to be quarantined. At which point we should be able to start thinking seriously about easing some of these restrictions.

That's what we should be aiming for. Weeks, not months.

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
Oh, as for that quarantine issue, it's also worth noting that the first wanton quarantine breaker - a Victorian who was supposed to stay in a Perth hotel - was sentenced to six months jail with a non-parole period of one month. Hopefully that'll send the right message.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
This is definitely something we have to be careful about. There will be a cost for many businesses to recommence and if that then leads to a rapid escalation in cases and we have to do another shutdown it will be crushing.

It's hard to know how exactly we progress the relaxation of restrictions. You ideally want to test the waters so to speak by allowing certain things but you also want that to have an economic benefit.

I.e. there's no point telling everyone that they can go to the park together and we'll see if that results in an outbreak of cases because whilst everyone going to the park might be fun, it's of no economic benefit.

It seems like we will probably need to be even more careful about hygiene, masks and social distancing etc. as we allow more businesses to reopen.

Totally agree. It will be gradual I would imagine, basically last in first out in terms of the layers of restrictions. Here in WA it would be something like lifting the bans on travelling between regions of the state, then getting kids back to school (we still have a week and a half of holidays to go) and so on.

tragic

John Solomon (38)

2% of 25 million is still a shit load of dead bodies. (as is 10% if the health care system is overwhelmed)
We’ve only lost 61 people because of the restrictions.
It’s worth remembering that if we hadn’t done it, we’d be in the middle of the same disaster that’s happening overseas, and we’d still have the same restrictions by now. They would have just been delayed a few weeks and with a bunch more dead folk.