• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Crusaders v Reds: International Star Wars Day 4:35pm NZST

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Comprehensive win by the reds, and didn’t the scoreline flatter the crusaders?!

I didn’t expect my team to be such an embarrassment this season, but the rise of the Aussie sides and their exciting new talent coming thru has invigorated the comp and makes for mouth watering internationals this year.
And yes, the commentary was cringe worthy!

As for Zero‘s constant reference to Kiwis being sheep shaggers: Australia has 5 times our population and 3 times as many sheep, so statistically sheep shagging occurs 15 times as often on your side of the ditch. Just sayin……….
"so statistically sheep shagging occurs 15 times as often on your side of the ditch. Just sayin………."
Nah, we have a choice of emus/kangaroos, its all to do with the hunt. Sheep are cringe worthy so my bushy mates tell me.

capalaba

Allen Oxlade (6)
If he turns out to be an average Wallaby 10, that'll do me. Our average is pretty high, if you take a long view.
If you are happy with an average 10, then your standards are most definitely low. He is an average Super 10 and that's about it.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
They've really got to go back to "try or no try?" at least being an option. Reckon that was held up & would've been called as such 95 times out of 100.

Multiple "NZRU Conspiracy" posts detected...
Or the TMO just calls it. There is no way that ball ever touched the ground and no way the on field referees could see it touch the ground so just call it for what it is, a no try. (Yes, I get the current protocol, compelling evidence, but that looked compelling enough to overturn)

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Well done Reds. Overall a very compelling performance from many of the core players which was great to see.

Pleased to see Jock really inject himself He's been a little lacklustre for me this season. Ryan is providing a nice point of difference and I agree with the general sentiment that he's jumped Suli for a starting spot in my eyes. Flook continues to impress me and Wilson is just a workhorse and so deserving of that charge down. Just constant effort.

I felt Creighton also played a lot better this weekend which was nice to see too. Just wish he could shore up his set piece kicks.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Not sure if this goes under the heading of Silver Lining or Too Little, Too Late:

"While it’s too soon to know how long Barrett [back], McAlister [hamstring] and Lio-Willie [head knock] are out for, Penney said All Blacks hooker Codie Taylor (sabbatical) and prop Tamaiti WIlliams (hamstring) were likely to return to face the Highlanders in Dunedin on Saturday night."

Blackadder damaged a thigh in training & will likely be out for three weeks. I'm starting to think @Dismal Pillock is on to something (vs being on something) with his unicorn comparison :(.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
Finally got to watch the replay. Great win, Reds.
I think we should take donations to send an industrial-sized barrel of Anusol to the commentary team to salve their screeching butt-hurt.
oh the visuals you have given me just now.....
combined with Willin1's sheep...

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
Seems the reds are producing some talent at the moment too which is great for Aus Rugby. Hopefully they'll be able to put out a decent team vs the Welsh this year.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Seems the reds are producing some talent at the moment too which is great for Aus Rugby. Hopefully they'll be able to put out a decent team vs the Welsh this year.

perhaps

15 Campbell
14 Vunivalu
13 Ryan
12 O’Connor
11 Grealy
10 Lynagh
9 Thomas
8 Wilson
7 Bryant
6 Wright
5 Smith
4 Blyth
3 JTA
2 Nasser
1 Fa’agase

16 Asiata / Craig
17 Blake
18 Nongorr
19 Daly
20 Brial
21 Werchon
22 HMP
23 Creighton.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
perhaps

15 Campbell
14 Vunivalu
13 Ryan
12 O’Connor
11 Grealy
10 Lynagh
9 Thomas
8 Wilson
7 Bryant
6 Wright
5 Smith
4 Blyth
3 JTA
2 Nasser
1 Fa’agase

16 Asiata / Craig
17 Blake
18 Nongorr
19 Daly
20 Brial
21 Werchon
22 HMP
23 Creighton.
I assume McLaughlin-Phillips will be off with the under 20s for that game. If not I'd be tempted to give Goldsborough a run as well.

Bigger question is going to be how many of those forwards get a Wallabies call up - aside from the nailed on like McReight and Faessler, all of Wilson, Wright, Uru and Smith could easily get picked, though maybe not all at once.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Reg, I'm assuming you are assuming both Paisami and Flook will be off with the Wallabies, and probably so. But a completely new and untried centre pairing is risky isn't it? Won 't Henry be available by then? Any one else in 13 would allow Ryan to play in his current spot on the wing and leave you (the Reds) able to ignore Vunivalu altogether.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
perhaps

15 Campbell
14 Vunivalu
13 Ryan
12 O’Connor
11 Grealy
10 Lynagh
9 Thomas
8 Wilson
7 Bryant
6 Wright
5 Smith

4 Blyth
3 JTA
2 Nasser
1 Fa’agase

16 Asiata / Craig
17 Blake
18 Nongorr
19 Daly
20 Brial
21 Werchon
22 HMP
23 Creighton.
Those three are with the Wallabies, right? Surely Wright and Wilson are anyway. Also really rating Smith's work this year and wouldn't be surprised if he's brought in.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Reg, I'm assuming you are assuming both Paisami and Flook will be off with the Wallabies, and probably so. But a completely new and untried centre pairing is risky isn't it? Won 't Henry be available by then? Any one else in 13 would allow Ryan to play in his current spot on the wing and leave you (the Reds) able to ignore Vunivalu altogether.

No idea about Henry. And you think James O’Connor is untested??

Ryan had played a lot of centre. If there was someone else I’d likely have picked him.

NoName

Herbert Moran (7)
its not a super rugby final. It’s a tour match. What better way to try combinations?
I'd rather the reds treat it like a test. As well as they are going, I just don't think they'll get into the final four again this year (just too early in their game maturity), so take the opportunity against Wales to gain a test level prep and match experience.