• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Current Wallabies team!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
So Gerrard is not test quality but Mogg is? This is his first year of Super rugby ffs

Pre-fucking-cisely. Gerrard is a proven success at international level, and has proved in every game he's played that he still has, by a very long way, the best boot in Aussie rugby.

You'd be fucking mad (or Deans) to not pick him, ESPECIALLY against NH teams.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Mogg has more potential, and is the form Aussie fullback...

Gerrard is in his later years an just played one good game..

Perspective guys...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
However, I'd probably start Mogg on the wing and play AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at fullback...

Epi

Dave Cowper (27)
Mogg has more potential, and is the form Aussie fullback...

Gerrard is in his later years an just played one good game..

Perspective guys...

Mate where did you just spring from... Gerrard has been playing like this for years. He is short a yard of pace which is why Deans blanked him.

Get a grip.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I still think a horses for courses type pick would be best. One size does not fit all and a clear choice of game plan has to be made, defence or attack.

Eh....you HAVE actually watch the Wallabies in the last 5 years?

There is no gameplan. Its 'give it to someone better than me and hope for the best'

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Mate where did you just spring from... Gerrard has been playing like this for years. He is short a yard of pace which is why Deans blanked him.

Get a grip.

He's quite clearly not a genuine Brumbies supporter, rather a recent convert.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Get a grip.

Eh... How is Gerrard's form over the year?

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
If JOC (James O'Connor) is fit he and KB (Kurtley Beale) will be interchangeable at 10 and 15. Elsom was a lot more effective than Dennis against the Bulls and Deans may just start with him at 6.
I would go with a backrow of Elsom, Pocock and Higgers at 8 with Mowen and/or Dennis on the bench to replace Elsom at about 55mins. I have not seen much of Palu this year but he didn't look in such great form yesterday.
Tahs front row looked very good against a second rate Bulls scrum but we should start with Squeaky Moore and have TPN on the bench for a burst at about the 60 min mark.
How is Quade coming along?
Gerrard is an excellent provincial player but just does not have the pace for test rugby......as has been the case for more than a few years now. Both JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale have very good boots on them to add to their counter attacking brilliance.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I've been critical of him in the past, but Higginbotham is miles ahead of Elsom currently...

And Dennis has been great for the Tahs all year...

Elsom doesn't deserve a spot in the Wallabies squad... not unless he improves greatly over the coming weeks...

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I've been critical of him in the past, but Higginbotham is miles ahead of Elsom currently...

And Dennis has been great for the Tahs all year...

Elsom doesn't deserve a spot in the Wallabies squad... not unless he improves greatly over the coming weeks...

You are probably right but Deans is very loyal.
Dennis and Mowen are solid and will not let anyone down.
Higgers must be starting at 6 or 8.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I can't wait to see which undeserving players from the previous test season retain their spots under Deans...

Unfortunately it's going to happen... particularly with this rather stupid Scotland match on the Tuesday...

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I can't wait to see which undeserving players from the previous test season retain their spots under Deans...

Unfortunately it's going to happen... particularly with this rather stupid Scotland match on the Tuesday...
Well, given the reality of the 2 close (in proximity) games, we just have to accept there will be a lot of Wallabies that might not necessarily be everyone's first picks. We don't have the luxury of enough depth for it to be otherwise. Whether they're picked as "favourites" of Deans or just because they're next in line is moot.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Lots of great players this year in Australia, not lacking in any position.

1. Pek Cowen
2. Stephen Moore
3. James Slipper
4. Sam Carter
5. Hugh Pyle
6. Dave Dennis
7. David Pocock
8. Fotu Auelua
9. Nic White
10. Kurtley Beale
11. Digby Ioane
12. Pat McCabe
13. Anthony Fiangaa
14. Joe Tomane
15. Mark Gerrard

16. James Hanson
17. Ben Alexander
18. James Horwill
19. Michael Hooper
20. Will Genia
21. Mitch Inman
22. Adam Ashley-Cooper

Any thoughts, opinions? I made this list as if there was a test match this weekend (AKA, injured players are injured.)

Any ideas on captaincy? I'm thinking either Moore or Pocock.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Pre-fucking-cisely. Gerrard is a proven success at international level, and has proved in every game he's played that he still has, by a very long way, the best boot in Aussie rugby.

You'd be fucking mad (or Deans) to not pick him, ESPECIALLY against NH teams.

So is Mortlock, and I want neither in the Wobs this year, both are too slow these days

nathan

Darby Loudon (17)
I'd love to see this:

1. Benn Robinson - No one really comes close to his mobility, scrummaging and step
2. Stephen Moore (vc) - Best in the country and one of the best in the world
3. Dan Palmer - Scrummaging is great and work rate is picking up
4. James Horwill (c) - Getting back to his best
5. Hugh Pyle - No 2nd year syndrome, keeps going from strength to strength
6. Scott Higginbotham - Proved he can play tight and loose very well in 6 and 8
7. David Pocock - Don't really need to say much on this.
8. Fotu Auelua - Palu has gone quiet. Fotu's form is good.
9. Will Genia - Another guy getting back to his best.
10. Kurtley Beale - Bye Quade.
11. Digby Ioane - Coming back into form after suspension.
12. Pat McCabe - Game has dramatically improved this year..and can now pass. Could cover 13.
13. Mitch Inman - Needs a few more games, but I reckon this guy is our test 13.
14. Drew Mitchell - He'll be back to his best after a few matches.
15. James O'Connor - Still not sure about him at 12. With Kurtley at 10, O'Connor presents a good counter attacking threat.

16. Tatafu Polota Nau - Getting back to his best.
17. Sekope Kepu - Plays both sides better than Benny A/Slipper.
18. Nathan Sharpe - Another player who's had a great year and worth a bench spot.
19. Dave Dennis - Just edged out Mowen. Both play a similar game and can cover 6/8.
20. Nic White - Could be close to starting. Amazing pass. Amazing kicking game. Composed under pressure.
21. Quade Cooper - Opens up a game moving into 10/15 with Beale.
22. Jesse Mogg - There's been calls for Gerrardo, but Mogg has the boot and the pace.

To fill a 30 squad I'd look at:

Benny Alexander - Scrummaging is getting better. Covers both sides (better at loosehead) and good around the park.
James Hanson - Picked up his game this year. Good competition for the reserve hooker spot.
Sam Carter - In form and playing well. If Sharpe isn't playing the international season, Carter takes his spot and Fardy in the 30.
Michael Hooper - Think he plays a better linking game than Gill, but it's close.
Wycliff Palu - Just edges out Mowen, but I'm still not convinced Palu will get back to 2009 EOYT form.
Ben Lucas - Covers 9, 10 and 15 very well.
Adam Ashley-Cooper - Seems to play better in tests. Covers 11/14, 13 and 15.
Joe Tomane - Think he's performed better than Shipperly but they've both had good super seasons so far.

Obviously there's a few I've left out including Cowan, Gill, Fardy, Mowen, Shipperly, Ant Fa'ainga, Turner (if recovered), Charles, Gerrard, Barnes, Hodgson, Simmons, Slipper, Jones, Kingston, Phipps, Tapuai and Elsom.

For the first time in a while, it appears we have a little depth for the Wallabies.

Status
Not open for further replies.