• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Current Wallabies team!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I wouldn't be surprised if Deans starts them against Scotland...

Unfortunately...

I would be very worried if Maafu was anywhere near the Test side again. He was schooled, again, against the Sharks. After last night Blake should be far ahead of him and surely would be in everyone except Mad Robbie's books.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
So for the test against Scotland it is expected to be filled primarily with Rebels and Force players? Now that the Tahs are pretty much out of the running you'd expect their Test players to make priority for the wallabies games over there super games now.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Ummm.. Long time lurker, 1st time poster.

We all obviously leaving Liam Gills name out due to commitments captaining the Australian U20's side?

Obviously if Robbie Deans deems him good enough to play for the Wallabies then captaining the youth side would play 2nd fiddle for national Wallabies commitments.

If we are going on pure form & writing down a 1 thru 22 based on performance of the last couple of weeks then Liam Gill has at least played well enough to be a open side flanker option backing up Pocock.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Why does Pocock need a backup? He's an 80 minute player, you don't put a 7 on the bench. If Deans really wanted a 7 backup (which he has proven he doesn't) he'd use Hooper so Gill can focus on the u20s. Nothing between Hooper & Gill.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Your'e right, Pocock doesn't need a backup because he is a iron man.

Pocock & Higginbotham are the only sure things in the starting 15 back rower debate. Perhaps Dean might want to go for the 2nd openside flanker to utilise in the 2nd half of a game? I'm not sold on Hooper like I am sold on Liam Gill (Reds Bias) I merely bought the name up because I am a big believer on National duty being more important then captaining a national youths team.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
If the Reds & Force make up the majority then hopefully Charles gets a run @ hooker.

My test 22 for the Scots in Newcastle.

1. Holmes 2.Charles 3.Slipper 4.Simmons 5.Horwill 6.Higginbotham 7.Pocock 8. McCalman 9.Genia 10. JOC (James O'Connor) 11.Ioane 12. Barnes 13.Fainga'a 14. Shipperley 15. Morahan

Res: 16. Fainga'a 17.Kepu 18.Sharpe 19.Elsom 20. Lucas 21. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) 22. Beale

If JOC (James O'Connor) is fit then I'd start him as he won't have played much Rugby by the time Test footy starts.

My team for the Welsh game would be very different with Robinson, Moore, TPN, Palu, Pyle, Nic White, Mccabe & few other all coming into the side. If Quade cooper is fit & has played a game & a half for the Reds then I'd swap him with Beale on the bench.

FairWeatherAussie

Ted Fahey (11)
Assuming no injuries I'd go for

1. FatCat
2. Moore
3. Kepu or Palmer against teams with dominating scrums
4. horwill
5. Pyle
6. Elsom - I don't understand all the anti-love for him, Friday night in his first starting game for ages he had a huge impact for the 'Tahs
7. Pocock
8. Higgenbotham
9. Genia
10. Cooper (although I haven't seen Beale play the last 2 weeks)
11. Ioane
12. JO'C (just because if he's fit he has to be on the field somewhere.
13. McCabe
14. Mitchell
15. Beale

16. TPN
17. palu
18. Alexander (or Kepu if Palmer starts)
19. Simmons
20. White, Tapuai or another forward?
21. Barnes
22. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

To me the would a very, very competive team as long as Cooper can get back his 2011 Reds form

I think it is too early for Mogg, he needs another season or two at the Super level.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't know why you have Elsom starting since he's only played 1 starting game. That said he was pretty good and I don't hold pre-conceived ideas about him like some people. If he continues to perform I see no reason why he can't be picked again but right now there's no way he's our best 6 on form.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think on form we have to give the backrow of Higgers, Palu and Pocock a crack.

I guess there is the strong potential that Higgers will play against Scotland due to the Reds having a bye beforehand and Dennis or Mowen will get a go at 6 in the first test against Wales.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Not much Fainga love :(

I was just about to champion him again.

If anyone else has failed to notice, the Reds have just played their two best games of the season, in the last two weeks. The attack has been more fluent and direct, there is a hell of a lot more starch in the defence, and i'd wager the number of turnovers (IE stolen by the Reds) has increased as well.

Fainga'a has been back in the starting side, for...you guessed it, two weeks. Draw your own conclusions...

N

Nath11

If there are no injuries, my side would look like this:

1. Robinson
2. Moore (vc)
3. Kepu
4. Pyle
5. Horwill (c)
6. Mowen- Very good for the Brumbies this year.
7. Pocock- Cannot look past him.
8. Higginbotham- Very good for the reds, Palu is out of form.
9. Genia- Best no. 9 in the world.
10. Lealiifano- Was one of the best numbers 10s this super rugby season before he got injured.
11. Ioane
12. McCabe
13. Fainga'a
14. O'Connor
15. Beale

16. Alexander
17. Polota-Nau
18. Simmons
19. Elsom
20. White- Very good no. 9, will only get better.
21. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)- Versatile but currently out of form.
22. Mitchell

12 and 13 are very good defenders, something which is needed in the heart of the backline for the wallabies. This is especially needed if you're up against runners such as Nonu and Sonny Bill/Conrad Smith.

Since Lealiifano is out for 6 months, i would move Beale to 10 and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to 15.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I'd be starting Gerrard at fullback atm. His kicking game is far too good to ignore, and if we don't win that duel against the Welsh, we're in deep shit.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
certainties for the back-row are Higgers and Pocock. If anyone else starts over them Id be very disappointed. The question for is where is Higgers going to play 6, or 8, and who is the last back-rower. Honestly I wouldn't be unhappy with either Fotu, Palu, Dennis, Mowen , Elsom. But I do love a hard hitting 8, so Fotu or Palu for me.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't think Higgers is a certainty for the 1st Wales test due to the Scotland test on the Tuesday that will mostly be Force and Reds players.

If Deans is looking to put together his two best back rows without much overlap, Higgers would have to play against Scotland rather than Wales.

For the 2nd Wales test, you'd expect Higgers to be there on form.

Status
Not open for further replies.