• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cycling

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
My new bike - bought off a mate for £100. It's great fun for riding with the kids and a spot of commuting etc

Photo 14-04-2012 15 08 50.jpgPhoto 14-04-2012 15 09 28.jpgPhoto 14-04-2012 16 28 06.jpg

What's cool is that you can either have it as a single speed, or a fixie - just by flipping the rear wheel

Photo 14-04-2012 16 28 13.jpg

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
And some more about me....

Just got back from an Easter break in Italy, most of it spent around Lake Garda where a mate and I rented decent bikes - I had a Colnago C50

gen5

Thankfully, without having to ask it came with a Granny (triple) ring, because lake Garda is basically surrounded by Italian mountains.

The 'easy' short ride was straight out of the front door and 600m straight up. We actually tried to do it the wrong way round at thirst and got 300m up at 20% gradient before my heart rate exploded and had to turn back as my bike was starting to fall backwards on the slope.
tdb short ride.png

Doing it the right way around was beautiful and rewarding though - some views:
Photo 09-04-2012 14 55 19.jpgPhoto 06-04-2012 09 10 08.jpg

Can heartily recommend - and it almost burned off the food and booze we scoffed each night!

P

Paradox

Doing 300+ km per week at the moment on a commuter bike. I am eyeing off a Giant Advanced Defy 3 which would be a massive upgrade over my $500 commuter hybrid. :))))

Defy_Advanced_3_compact_2000px.jpg

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Well boys I've finally done it -- upgraded to a decent road bike. Meet the newest member of the family:

gtr_series_1.jpg

GT GTR Series 1.0 -- alloy frame with carbon forks and seat stays, with an Ultegra group set. It's an insane bike for the money.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I got mine for $1900 as it was a 2011 run out. I looked at the Defy range also and you can't go too wrong there. It was just that the GT was such good value I couldn't pass it up.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Doing 300+ km per week at the moment on a commuter bike. I am eyeing off a Giant Advanced Defy 3 which would be a massive upgrade over my $500 commuter hybrid. :))))

Defy_Advanced_3_compact_2000px.jpg

Its very hard to beat a giant in terms of bang for your buck. They also come with a lifetime warranty which is handy if you go for a carbon option...

I was in there last week and they have a bike with Di2 groupset and dura-ace wheels for 5k. That is an incredible deal...

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
For those cycling enthusiasts out there I thought I would make an introduction to an internationally recognised aussie bike brand which make stunning titanium and steel bikes. Check out the welding on the bikes and the paintwork! Unfortunately at 5-7k for a frame, they are way too expensive for me... Very nice to look at nonetheless!

http://www.baumcycles.com/

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
For those cycling enthusiasts out there I thought I would make an introduction to an internationally recognised aussie bike brand which make stunning titanium and steel bikes. Check out the welding on the bikes and the paintwork! Unfortunately at 5-7k for a frame, they are way too expensive for me... Very nice to look at nonetheless!

http://www.baumcycles.com/
He made my frame in 2003 - lightweight steel, custom fit. A light (about 8kg all up) and very comfy bike. Superb work. I was one of his earlier customers in Oz, from memory. I can highly recommend his work, it is beautiful. One day, I will get him to make another in titanium. It was cheaper then too - but still 3K for the frame and carbon fork.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
He made my frame in 2003 - lightweight steel, custom fit. A light (about 8kg all up) and very comfy bike. Superb work. I was one of his earlier customers in Oz, from memory. I can highly recommend his work, it is beautiful. One day, I will get him to make another in titanium. It was cheaper then too - but still 3K for the frame and carbon fork.
what's the benefit of titanium over carbon and what is the weight difference?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
And some more about me....

Just got back from an Easter break in Italy, most of it spent around Lake Garda where a mate and I rented decent bikes - I had a Colnago C50

gen5

Thankfully, without having to ask it came with a Granny (triple) ring, because lake Garda is basically surrounded by Italian mountains.

The 'easy' short ride was straight out of the front door and 600m straight up. We actually tried to do it the wrong way round at thirst and got 300m up at 20% gradient before my heart rate exploded and had to turn back as my bike was starting to fall backwards on the slope.
View attachment 2220

Doing it the right way around was beautiful and rewarding though - some views:
View attachment 2221View attachment 2222

Can heartily recommend - and it almost burned off the food and booze we scoffed each night!
Is that a dedicated bike path in the righthand photo?

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
I thought I would share this excellent photo from Le Tour 1992.
Tour de France 1992.jpg

A bit cycling trivia- who is wearing the yellow jersey in the background?

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Anyone had any experience of Hutchinson Fusion 3 tubeless road tyres?
I have been recommended them to reduce/stop punctures...

I wouldn't recommend getting tubless tyres it is a huge problem when you need to change them. You would be better to get some Shimano wheels which have a very high quality build (The RS30's are great) and a pair of continental Gator tyres. Should get many punctures with that set-up.
Wheels
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=80985
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=76733
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=76736

Tyres (buy x 2)
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=18800