• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cycling

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I can understand how different tyres can reduce the incidence of punctures, but how can a wheel make any difference?
BTW the tyres in your link are only 30 quid, I am sure I paid well over $100 for new tyres on my road bike.....was I ripped off or should i always buy stuff on the net o/s??

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
I can understand how different tyres can reduce the incidence of punctures, but how can a wheel make any difference?
BTW the tyres in your link are only 30 quid, I am sure I paid well over $100 for new tyres on my road bike.....was I ripped off or should i always buy stuff on the net o/s??

A few of the most common causes of punctures occur when the inner tube is in contact with the wheels. Either from a spoke protruding through the rim tape, the rim tape moving, or a problem around the valve where a sharp bit of metal is rubbing on the tube.

I recommend people always upgrade their wheels after a year on a bike as the wheels that come with a bike are generally of very poor quality...

In regards to tyres the Continental range are the best quality. The Gators in particular are very puncture resistant. If you want something lighter the grand prix range are excellent. I fit Gators on my bike in winter and grand prix for summer or races.

The website I listed is the cheapest for bike gear, less than half the price of stuff in store here in Australia.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I wouldn't recommend getting tubless tyres it is a huge problem when you need to change them. You would be better to get some Shimano wheels which have a very high quality build (The RS30's are great) and a pair of continental Gator tyres. Should get many punctures with that set-up.
Wheels
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=80985
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=76733
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=76736

Tyres (buy x 2)
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=18800
Joe - I have had 3 punctures with Gatorskins in about 1 month!
What difference does the quality of the wheels make to puncture resistance (not that I'm not happy to spend money on cool wheels or anything else :))? Edit: sorry didn't see your response to others.
Frankly those shimanos aren't expensive enough:D ....I was told to get these:
wh7850c50tu.jpg

http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bike...dura-ace-wh-7850-c50-tu/highett/vic/102081177

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Thats a rip IS! Dont waste your money. Yes, Shimano Dura Ace are the absolute best quality wheel, but those ones are old and way over priced. On the same website I showed you, you can buy the current model (clinchers) for less! here are the links;

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=76726
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=81060
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=76728

The choice comes down to what you want to get out of them. The C50's will really add some speed to you on the flat, however they can be a little tricky with a strong cross wind, and they are slower on the climb. I have a set of these on my TT bike.

the C35 are middle of the range and an excellent wheel- this would probably be my pick if you want to spend that much money.

It depends on how serious you are but you the Ultegra wheels on my previous post or the third link are ample wheels for what you need... You wont get any problems related to punctures from these guys. Especcially with gator skins.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
What difference does the quality of the wheels make to puncture resistance (not that I'm not happy to spend money on cool wheels or anything else

Sorry IS, just read your post properly. If all you are worried about is punctures, buy the RS30's for $250. They are very durable, very tough wheels. heavier than the dura ace's but you wont have any puncture problems with them (and they are likely lighter than your current wheels)... I use a set for training in the rain and have never had a puncture on mine (probably just jinxed myself)...

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
does this mean that you think my punctures are related to the wheels and not the sh!t on the road?
What tyre pressure do you have. Like a few things in life, the harder the better.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
What tyre pressure do you have. Like a few things in life, the harder the better.
does 120 sound plausible?

when you say "problems" Joe - there's nicks and cuts (great title for a book on rugby dont you think? (Not)) all over the tyres - and I actually went back on Saturday afternoon last to find a broken peroni bottle where I had one of the punctures - so i have some evidence that its debris and not the rims - which are mavic aksium (?).

the guy in the shop i bought the bike from is extremely keen for me to get these fusions: he says i dont need new wheels and he stand to make more money from tubes than selling me the fusions. He swears by them. So I'm not able to see a clear reason why he'd be pushing them to me if he didnt think they were good.

Should say thanks for taking the time to deal with my issues!

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
120 psi is fine.
Try removing the tyre and running your thumb around the inside of the tyre. Sometimes a sharp object gets embedded in the tyre and you keep puncturing the tube when you pump the tyre.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Thinking of getting a custom built steel frame. I want a versatile tourer. Fast and light enough for every day riding but strong enough and comfortable enough for touring. Any thoughts?

For me, touring is the ultimate form of cycling. There is nothing better than leaving one place with a view to ending up at the next and the only thing between you and your next destination being a thin ribbon of road. Destinations can change on a whim. Stop, go, stay, leave...all at your leisure.

I've not done any touring in Oz, but I've done a fair bit in France and Italy (plus a little in Switzerland). I've probably been spoilt by this. Particularly in respect of the food.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
120 psi is fine.
Try removing the tyre and running your thumb around the inside of the tyre. Sometimes a sharp object gets embedded in the tyre and you keep puncturing the tube when you pump the tyre.
done that.
these punctures are several rides between

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
done that.
these punctures are several rides between
Then you just going through a phase. You will grow out of it.
I did one ride with a group of people and had five punctures. It was the first and last time I was invited to ride with them.
Then never had a puncture for years after that.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Thinking of getting a custom built steel frame. I want a versatile tourer. Fast and light enough for every day riding but strong enough and comfortable enough for touring. Any thoughts?

For me, touring is the ultimate form of cycling. There is nothing better than leaving one place with a view to ending up at the next and the only thing between you and your next destination being a thin ribbon of road. Destinations can change on a whim. Stop, go, stay, leave...all at your leisure.

I've not done any touring in Oz, but I've done a fair bit in France and Italy (plus a little in Switzerland). I've probably been spoilt by this. Particularly in respect of the food.

These guys make the best steel frames out there Cutter, and they are Australian; http://www.baumcycles.com/

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
does 120 sound plausible?

when you say "problems" Joe - there's nicks and cuts (great title for a book on rugby dont you think? (Not)) all over the tyres - and I actually went back on Saturday afternoon last to find a broken peroni bottle where I had one of the punctures - so i have some evidence that its debris and not the rims - which are mavic aksium (?).

the guy in the shop i bought the bike from is extremely keen for me to get these fusions: he says i dont need new wheels and he stand to make more money from tubes than selling me the fusions. He swears by them. So I'm not able to see a clear reason why he'd be pushing them to me if he didnt think they were good.

Should say thanks for taking the time to deal with my issues!

He wants you to buy them because it means you will forever need to go into the shop to get them to fix up the bike each time you get the equivalent of a flat... To be honest, if the problem was just some glass in there then all you need to do is remove it and put in a new inner tube. No need to spend the money at all!

If however, you find you keep getting flats then you should buy the RS30 wheels. You are probably due a new set of wheels, if you have had the bike for a while...

If it happens again I can always have a look for you on a weekend, if you want to make the drive to Cremorne...

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)

Some interesting stuff on their blog about touring here as well; http://www.baumcycles.com/blog

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
He wants you to buy them because it means you will forever need to go into the shop to get them to fix up the bike each time you get the equivalent of a flat... To be honest, if the problem was just some glass in there then all you need to do is remove it and put in a new inner tube. No need to spend the money at all!

If however, you find you keep getting flats then you should buy the RS30 wheels. You are probably due a new set of wheels, if you have had the bike for a while...

If it happens again I can always have a look for you on a weekend, if you want to make the drive to Cremorne...
only had the bike about 3 months

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
Then there is absolutely no need for new wheels. Just make sure there is no more glass or anything in the tyre and you should be fine
Also rub your thumb around the inside of the rim and check the plastic thingie that covers the spoke holes.
If you keep getting puncture the you must mark where on the wheel you get them. If it always the same wheel and same spot then you have an "equipment" problem. If random then it is just bad luck