• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cycling

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
so I walked into a different bike shop today....he tells me that whether the hutchinson fusion 3s are the solution or not may depend on the reason I am getting flats.
he says gatorskins have next to no puncture protection in the tread section of the tyre and are only protected in the sidewall.
continental suggest otherwise: http://www.conti-online.com/generat...es/race/racetyres/gatorskin/gatorskin_en.html
i may not be getting punctures but pinch flats - I am 122kgs - and i should think about going to 23s or 28s from my present 19s......if the flats are punctures through the tread I am actually better off with schwalbe marathons.

Man who knew there was so much to learn

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
so I walked into a different bike shop today....he tells me that whether the hutchinson fusion 3s are the solution or not may depend on the reason I am getting flats.
he says gatorskins have next to no puncture protection in the tread section of the tyre and are only protected in the sidewall.
continental suggest otherwise: http://www.conti-online.com/generat...es/race/racetyres/gatorskin/gatorskin_en.html
i may not be getting punctures but pinch flats - I am 122kgs - and i should think about going to 23s or 28s from my present 19s......if the flats are punctures through the tread I am actually better off with schwalbe marathons.

Man who knew there was so much to learn

That sounds like bullshit to me mate. The guy is just trying to get a sale...

Have you got rid of all the glass inside the tyre?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Issue with frame....rear derailliuer hanger broke and sent the jockey wheel chain etc up and over the drop out cracking the carbon.

on checking the gatorskins I'm running are 25s - its the tubes that are 19s: does this crete a potential problem?

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
just found this thread, I am an absolute bike nut, actually built some new wheels today(in the process!).
012.jpg
I used to get plenty of punctures (my worst was 5 times in 200km) and changed tyres. I have now gone about 3000km this year without a problem touchwood!

Look for a high TPI thread per inch on any tyres. This is an indication of how many threads are contained per inch of rubber or roughly speaking how much material protects your tube. I switched to a Maxxis http://www.maxxis.com/Bicycle/Road-Training/Re-Fuse.aspx Refuse in Blue to match some highlights on my bike and they have been awesome.

Every ride I get home and if there is a slight cut in the rubber I will deflate my tyre and fill the gap with superglue and let it set, then pump it back up to 120psi, I have pulled bits of glass out of the rubber and so far I have yet to have an issue.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
In regards to the inner tubes, that should expand to fit and be ok, however you would be better placed to have 23's on there.
I would go closer to the tyre sizing, it is a big step up and may make the tube a little thin as it would be very stretched

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
P

Paradox

Is it worth getting Ultegra over 105s? I cycle about 300kms a week and have neither with my crap bike :mad: I was going to get a Giant Defy Advanced 3 which has the 105s but for $400 more I can get a Defy Advanced 2 with Ultegra (and other stuff like ride sense).

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Is it worth getting Ultegra over 105s? I cycle about 300kms a week and have neither with my crap bike :mad: I was going to get a Giant Defy Advanced 3 which has the 105s but for $400 more I can get a Defy Advanced 2 with Ultegra (and other stuff like ride sense).

Ultegra is luxurious. It's lighter and the components feel beautiful when you shift, much less clunky than 105. I would go for it if you can afford it. How much are they asking for the bikes in total?

Giant have some great deals at the moment for Di2 Ultegra bikes (electronic shifting), have you looked into that?