• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cycling

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Is it worth getting Ultegra over 105s? I cycle about 300kms a week and have neither with my crap bike :mad: I was going to get a Giant Defy Advanced 3 which has the 105s but for $400 more I can get a Defy Advanced 2 with Ultegra (and other stuff like ride sense).

In my view, absolutely. When I got my new bike, it happened to have Ultegra components for more or less what you'd expect to pay for 105. What a difference over the other bikes I have ridden. If you don't have to pay an arm and a leg for it, do it.

I went with a carbon composite/alloy bike to get the better group set. It's an absolute dream to ride.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
No Joe, I haven't looked at the Di2. Got any links? I image they are over 4000 ?

Just found this:

http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bicycles/giant/road/tcr-advanced-0/albury/nsw/102085502

:cool:

I read the TCRs are uncomfortable? True or myth?

I think the Giant with Ultegra Di2 retails at 3,900 but I know for a fact that most stores will allow their sales guys to let them go for 3,300/3,400... Shop around! I have ridden on Di2 and it is well worth the money! Here is the link to the site for the bike:

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bikes/model/tcr.advanced.0/9671/50835/

P

Paradox

Paradox, I went into the Giant store to find out a little more for you on the weekend. You can get the Giant with Ultegra Di2 at the moment for 3k even. Well worth it!

Thanks again Joe. Now I need to find 3k. Just bought a house so money has been flying out the window.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Just bought a new bike lads and she is a beauty! Total weight including the pedals is 6.85kg's, 5 grams above the legal weight restrictions

New Bike.JPG

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Brand?
Tell me if you made a conscious decision not to go the Di2 (or equivalent - there really is one) route?

It's a Giant IS. Here is a link to the bike http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bikes/model/tcr.advanced.sl.1/9672/50831/. The 2013 models come out at the end of the month so I have been holding out until this week for the big price drop on current models.

I didn't go for Di2 because of the extra weight and big price difference. Including the different rims on the Di2 model its nearly half a kilo heavier...

Are you already in the market for a new bike? Thought you picked one up a few months ago?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It's a Giant IS. Here is a link to the bike http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bikes/model/tcr.advanced.sl.1/9672/50831/. The 2013 models come out at the end of the month so I have been holding out until this week for the big price drop on current models.

I didn't go for Di2 because of the extra weight and big price difference. Including the different rims on the Di2 model its nearly half a kilo heavier.

Are you already in the market for a new bike? Thought you picked one up a few months ago?
One thing Ive learnt in my brief time in the cycling world is: Im always in the market for everything.
I've already got Di2 but I was intrigued that not al the TdeF riders use it so i am trying to work out what the reason is.
There are a lot easier ways for me to get rid of .5 kg from the rider and bike combo so Im not worried about that yet!

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
What are you riding IS? Have you fixed that trouble with getting flats yet?

Di2 is awesome and I thought about it a lot before making the decision. Aside from the weight I also don't like the battery being visible which looks a little clunky on the bike in my opinion. However, like most technology, the second installment is generally much slicker and the new Di2 Shimano are bringing out looks incredible!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

Di2 is awesome and I thought about it a lot before making the decision. Aside from the weight I also don't like the battery being visible which looks a little clunky on the bike in my opinion. However, like most technology, the second installment is generally much slicker and the new Di2 Shimano are bringing out looks incredible!

A fondriest.

dqudsw.jpeg

Cervelo (I think) have the battery well hidden under the bottom bracket
I went to hutchison tubeless - cant remember which ones: which at least proves I havent had to worry about them!
Great ride too - presumably because of the slightly lower tyre pressure: first time I rode on them I thought I wasn't trying hard enough: the ride was so smooth I thought i wasn't going fast enough.

P

Paradox

Joe, very sweet bike. How much did you get it for? What sort of distances are you doing per week?

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
They are some serious pieces of kit you fuckers have got - where are they being ridden?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

We should never have discussed tyres - having ridden this morning I was on the way out and there's a huge puddle of the goo that goes inside these tubeless tyres to seal any puncture.......so theres a hole somewhere: but the tyre seems to have loss little or no pressure.
They are some serious pieces of kit you fuckers have got - where are they being ridden?
Unfortunately mostly around the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney - a few over to McCarr's Creek/Mona Vale and down to Sutherland over the Como Railway Bridge - which really is a good ride. For mid week daytime rides Ive discovered the Cooks River Cycleway which is great for avoiding cars but not too vertically challenging: http://www.trailflix.com.au/tfx_new/trails.php?id=cyclecooksriver

Edit: thats the old como railway bridge - Im not fast enough to challenge even Sydney's trains....yet

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Joe, very sweet bike. How much did you get it for? What sort of distances are you doing per week?

I got it for a little under $4500. You can probably find them for a little cheaper but that included a free fitting from a guy who in my opinion is the best in NSW.

I was riding 300km a week Paradox before having a big stack on my bike a few months ago. This is about my max Just building back up to it now, doing roughly 150-200km.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)

I remember we were discussing this when I was back in London Gag's... Have you broken the hour for 3 x laps of Richmond park yet mate?

I ride two mornings a week doing hill repeats in Mosman before work. Then one ride on Saturday morning up the beaches to either Palmy, Acuna Bay, West Head, Church point. Then Sunday a ride out to Waterfall National Park which is down south.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
You sound like you're getting serious mate - will have to suck your wheel next time I'm back!

Currently "in training" in the south of France. If that goes well might have to give the hour another crack