• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

David Pococks Eating Troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Just saw this on SMH

WALLABIES star David Pocock has revealed he is suffering from an eating disorder he developed as a neurotic teenager when his family fled Zimbabwe for their own safety almost 10 years ago.

In his new autobiography, Openside: My Journey to the Rugby World Cup, the 23-year-old goes into detail about his family's escape to Australia from Zimbabwe, before revealing the start and extent of an eating disorder he still manages today.

''When our family first moved from Zimbabwe in 2002 I developed a stress-related eating disorder,'' he says in the book, where he describes his early determination to become a world-class rugby player.

I was irrationally strict about what I ate and had a very skewed idea of my body image and what I looked like. Looking back at photos I was ridiculously lean but in my head I was still not lean enough. I remember bursting into tears a few times when the family went out to dinner or when travelling and there weren't any healthy or ultra low-fat options to eat. I was unsure about how to deal with my obvious anxiety towards food.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/pocock-autobiography-reveals-flight-into-exile-led-to-eating-disorder-20111112-1nctp.html

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
I think David Pocock leveraging his fame to be actively involved in philanthropy work is fantastic.

I am more than happy for Brand Pocock, because I like what he's selling.

Agreed. The comment was tongue in cheek. If I knew how to use the emoticons I would have added the fishing one on the end.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Brisbok

If you want to use emoticons click on Go Advanced and follow the yellow brick road.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I can't stand players in any sport writing book before they retire.

Nothing but money grabbing. A young guy gets bullied into it by money hungry publicists.

I read a lot of biographies but unless it is a sport person who have lots of years under their belt or into retirement, I say no thank you.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member

Nothing but money grabbing. A young guy gets bullied into it by money hungry publicists.

I read a lot of biographies but unless it is a sport person who have lots of years under their belt or into retirement, I say no thank you.

I agree, but when you consider Pocock is donating all of his share to his charity then I don't mind so much in this case.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I must say I thank David Pocock for his comments (even thjough I believe it is a bit early to be writing a life book) as i have a son about to enter senior footy. For the past couple of years he has had a fixation about his body shape and physique believing he is too fat and must get a ripped body to succeed. he is now 188cm and 97 kgs and still is fixated about his shape. I hope reading Pocock's message will support our (his parents) claims that he could be building himself a serious mental problem

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Books that are autobiographical in nature aren't necessarily complete autobiographies. I believe the title of this book may hold some clue as to whether it's about a particular stage of his life.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)

All proceeds go to charity

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I must say I thank David Pocock for his comments (even thjough I believe it is a bit early to be writing a life book) as i have a son about to enter senior footy. For the past couple of years he has had a fixation about his body shape and physique believing he is too fat and must get a ripped body to succeed. he is now 188cm and 97 kgs and still is fixated about his shape. I hope reading Pocock's message will support our (his parents) claims that he could be building himself a serious mental problem

What position(s) does he play? 6'2 and 97kgs sounds like you wouldn't want to be any lighter unless you are a really tall winger or something.

Scotty

David Codey (61)

Apart from the charity aspect, this bloke has done more in his 23 years than most have in 32, so I don't think age is necessarily the only criteria in being able to write a book.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Apart from the charity aspect, this bloke has done more in his 23 years than most have in 32, so I don't think age is necessarily the only criteria in being able to write a book.

I didn't realise that the money goes to charity.

I still think as a sports person you tell your story when you hang up the boots.

Wonder of the publicist is donating their money to charity.

rustycruiser

Billy Sheehan (19)
Yeah, except as an active player, if he thinks his coach(es) are royal pricks, he certainly isn't going to say so, seeing as he has to work with them for the next decade. For example. I agree with Blue. Finish your career, and then put out your book. His resume is pretty light too.

Status
Not open for further replies.