• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

David Pococks Eating Troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Obviously none of us have read the book, but I think from the sounds of things this book is taking a very different tack than just providing a blow by blow recollection of his career to date.

He's had a fairly interesting upbringing fleeing a tumultuous country with his family and then emigrating to Australia as a kid and having to adjust to that. From what we know of Pocock now, he's got a pretty thoughtful and progressive political outlook, is passionate about philanthropy, has taken what is possibly a slightly different path to many professional sportsmen these days by choosing a partner who has her own career and interests and isn't a part-time model.

I imagine he's got plenty of interesting things to say.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Really? His resume is light? I've a feeling you know nothing about the man, he's been through and done more than most of us will accomplish in just 23 years. Fled persecution in one country, raised in another, climbed to the highest position in his sport, started 2 charities, refuses to get married until his homosexual mates have the right to marry, and I haven't even read the book. Oh yeah, he also single-handedly kicked south africa out of the world cup, in case you'd forgotten.

rustycruiser

Billy Sheehan (19)
I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make.

Clearly the majority of the book is not about test rugby.
Generally when I read sports orientated books, I am more looking for behind the scenes insight into the game and the team that you don't get from traditional media outlets. Books such as John Feinstein's A Good Walk Spoiled, Season on the Brink, or Next Man Up. I have enjoyed a number of rugby biographies with similar insight, especially those involving South Africa due to 1) being a fan, and 2) the boardroom politics and wranglings inherent in SA rugby. From your descriptions above, it sounds like Pococks story has less that interests me than other sports biographies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think this book is more an insight into his life growing up than an insight into professional rugby.

From an Australian perspective where most of our elite rugby players' childhoods would read along of the lines of "I grew up in an upper middle class family in Sydney/Brisbane, attended an exclusive private school and from there went on to become an elite rugby player" it would seem that David Pocock's upbringing is likely to be far more interesting.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
I can't stand players in any sport writing book before they retire.

Nothing but money grabbing. A young guy gets bullied into it by money hungry publicists.

I read a lot of biographies but unless it is a sport person who have lots of years under their belt or into retirement, I say no thank you.

That kid has lived more in his time, so far then, a lot would after a along life. Never been big at bio's out early but I believe he has seen and been through enough to inspire. There are a lot out there who aren't from wealthy families and working hard to make it. If he can inspire a few to stick at it, know matter how tough the road seems at times, then good on him.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Speaking as someone not unfamiliar with anxiety-related disorders, all I can do is applaude David Pocock for his honesty and openness.

Oh I applaud that as well, make no mistake.

Even more so that he is prepared to admit to such a deeply personal issue in the middle of a career. That takes some guts.

Maybe he felt writing the book is a way of dealing with his issue.

Lots of people from Zim and South Africa have grown up around violence so I suppose I am a little bit uncomfortable with the idea that we should all write a book about it. Plenty has been written but again, maybe a book is an outlet for David to deal with his demons and come to terms with issues in which case I won't condemn it. Still won't read it though. My reading list has me covered for months.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Unfourtunatly I have a similar problem to what David is describing. It sucks, I won't complain if I end up looking like him though!

darkhorse

Darby Loudon (17)
I wish people would read the article before commenting.

E.g.
- Having a go at him for money grabbing when the article clearly states he is donating it to charity.
- Saying he hasn't accomplished in the game to write a book, when the book has nothing to do with rugby. It is about everything but rugby.

For the record he didn't plan on writing a book. It was meant to be a world cup journal, but when he sat down to write it he had a lot more to say than he realised and he finished up with 75000 words. Pretty good effort in my eyes.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Oh I applaud that as well, make no mistake.

Even more so that he is prepared to admit to such a deeply personal issue in the middle of a career. That takes some guts.

Maybe he felt writing the book is a way of dealing with his issue.

Lots of people from Zim and South Africa have grown up around violence so I suppose I am a little bit uncomfortable with the idea that we should all write a book about it. Plenty has been written but again, maybe a book is an outlet for David to deal with his demons and come to terms with issues in which case I won't condemn it. Still won't read it though.b.

Does Victor Matfield's 'My Journey' appear on that list?

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I once heard on the sideline at a schoolboy game that he's never eaten fast food. Like never ever.

jason

Sydney Middleton (9)
I once heard on the sideline at a schoolboy game that he's never eaten fast food. Like never ever.

A mate of mine who went to school with David has some pretty telling stories about him too.

My mate's a great water polo player and David played it as a summer sport for a few years apparently. They used to go on training camps where they'd have two sessions during the day and a game at night. If you've ever played before you'd know how buggered you'd be at the end of the day.. Apparently Pocock used to insist on being dropped off at the gym every night so he could do extra weights sessions and he'd bring all his own food to the team meals. There's also a story about him insisting on bringing a bench and barbell with him on a family fishing holiday.

It might be a bit exaggerated but it shows how dedicated he is and goes a long way to explaining why he's the player he is now.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Find his Zim diet a bit stange. Would have thought if you ever experiensed real hunger, you suppose to eat more when you are in the new land of milk and honey. Why would you go on a hunger eating disorder afterwards?

Because nobody decides willingly that they are now going to have themselves a disorder. That is why it is called a disorder.

Status
Not open for further replies.