• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

David Pococks Eating Troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
It might be a bit exaggerated but it shows how dedicated he is and goes a long way to explaining why he's the player he is now.

Dedication or obsessive compulsive behavior? Sadly it seems like the latter. his sport and by implication the Wallabies are benefiting from it though so I suppose there's a silver lining to it.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Dedication or obsessive compulsive behavior? Sadly it seems like the latter. his sport and by implication the Wallabies are benefiting from it though so I suppose there's a silver lining to it.

I'll probably get shouted down by someone who knows more about OCD or similar disorders, but is it possible that someone could harness their OCD in a positive way that would make it more of a benefit to them than a detrimental disorder?

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
I'll probably get shouted down by someone who knows more about OCD or similar disorders, but is it possible that someone could harness their OCD in a positive way that would make it more of a benefit to them than a detrimental disorder?

I have mild OCD, and I find that in some aspects of organisation it actually helps with making things presentable and most importantly keeping them consistent. That could probably be harnessed in a positive way for someone like Pocock. However, it can be very time consuming- you don't get to choose what you obsess about and I've spent plenty of time worrying myself sick over the minutiae of things which can prove costly in regards to things like time management. I'm guessing you can see how that could be a downside for a Rugby player. They might be compelled to spend 2 hours kicking a conversion from the same spot, but half that time might be spend making sure the tee is completely 100% symmetrical. A mixed bag to say the least.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Swarley tell me what you think of this theory: a lot of highly successful people have mild/ borderline OCD and that's at least part of the reason they are highly successful?....or is it only diagnosable when the characteristics prevent or delay the achievement of the goal/end?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
IS, there is a fine line between being "obsessive" or "anal" about things, and such behaviour becoming a disorder. I think you're spot on about many successful people being somewhat obsessive, indeed it is essential in many fields where attention to detail is required.
OCD is, as Swarley says, not controllable, as it is a disorder where the focus of the problem dictates your behaviour, at its extreme, to the point where normal function is impossible. It tends to lead to lack of effective function in other aspects of life, so it is very much unhelpful, in many cases.
Pocock's function on the field suggests he might be somewhat obsessive (OK) without being disordered.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
Swarley tell me what you think of this theory: a lot of highly successful people have mild/ borderline OCD and that's at least part of the reason they are highly successful?....or is it only diagnosable when the characteristics prevent or delay the achievement of the goal/end?

This is from HelpGuide.org

"What is obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)?
Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) is an anxiety disorder characterized by uncontrollable, unwanted thoughts and repetitive, ritualized behaviors you feel compelled to perform. If you have OCD, you probably recognize that your obsessive thoughts and compulsive behaviors are irrational – but even so, you feel unable to resist them and break free.

Like a needle getting stuck on an old record, obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) causes the brain to get stuck on a particular thought or urge. For example, you may check the stove twenty times to make sure it’s really turned off, wash your hands until they’re scrubbed raw, or drive around for hours to make sure that the bump you heard while driving wasn’t a person you ran over."

To answer your question Inside Shoulder, a lot of highly successful people could exhibit some symptoms of OCD, or even borderline OCD. However, I don't think many would have it any worse than that. Although it does 'help' in some aspects of organisation/planning, compulsive obsession and attention the insignificant details can detract from that 'advantage'.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
David will be signing copies of his book at Dymocks, 424 George Street, Sydney on Saturday 19 November from 11am.

Status
Not open for further replies.