• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Deans confirmed until 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Utility Back

I dont so much have a problem with the team chosen, more so the structure of team playing, not sure if they were playing to a shit game plan, or communication was shit. I suspect the latter.

Also if we were to play them again next week i suspect we would be the victors.
Anyone know the odds before the game? Lucky person whoever punted on Somoa.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I think you're confusing Larkham (10) with Latham (15)

Looking back I could agree on Whits, but that's not the point. If you don't give those players a chance to stake their claim, how do you know who is better at international level?

It's always a lot easier to say a player was past it in retrospect. In the moment their experience and combinations with other players always seems a big plus

I read Latham sorry. Dislexic moment. In the case of Larkham there really was nobody esle, especialy so after Flatley got broken and Connelly came to the realization that Giteau wasn't a 10 no matter what he thought himself. At the time there was fiery argument regarding Gregan so it wasn't just in retrospect and with Larkham injured the case for established combos was shot down.

In any event I agreed with the resting of Genia, Horwill, Simmons and Cooper and still do. But stand by everything else I have said regarding the selection of Gerrard, Vickerman and Elsom especially and perhaps add in Giteau.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I was OK with resting the Reds forwards who would have been pretty spent after last week. Furthermore, I thought the team selected was OK on paper and had few reservations (the midfield being one), but unfortunately the blokes picked couldn't do the job. Not hard enough, didn't want it enough and that is very disappointing. The only silver lining is that at least we've seen who is test standard and who isn't. Nothing can be done it now and the only thing they can do is to give a much better account of themselves next week.

R

Red Rooster

So Deans is to blame for players not taking the opportunity presented to them (especially the forwards)? Nearly everyone was relatively happy with the team selected during the week and the fact that key Reds players were being rested. Some players today played themselves out of the Wallaby world cup squad whilst guys like Beale and Genia cemented their position (barring serious injury), and guys like Huggybum and McCabe put their names forward. Not gutted by the loss (was cheering for Samoa as I love it when an underdog gets up - especially the PI underdogs) and hopefully it will remind the coaches, selectors and players that if we don't turn up "physically" at each and every breakdown on our ball this result can be repeated. Is this the loss we had to have to hoist Bill?

Forget about team selection and concentrate on the lack of a game plan. There was no obvious plan other than hitting fwds up. They scored two tries, the first when samoa had a player in the bin and they exploited the missing defender from the scrum - this was the only evidence of thinking that i could see - not taking 3 penalty goals the choosing the 4th at 50m seemed random

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
I dont so much have a problem with the team chosen, more so the structure of team playing, not sure if they were playing to a shit game plan, or communication was shit. I suspect the latter.

Pretty sure they said sport TAB had Samoa at $13 for the win.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)

$13 for Samoa. Would have been nice to had a hunge on them.

D

daz

The only silver lining is that at least we've seen who is test standard and who isn't. .

I'm not one for throwing players on the scrap heap after a single showing and I doubt many are (even though there are a few posts to the contrary, I'll accept they were written in post-game anger).

Having said that, it is true that some players find test rugby a bridge too far. It is possible that we saw a couple today.

But you are quite right TBH; better to know now than in a RWC knock-out game.

The only real concern is that we could not react to the standard opposition Wob-killer game plan yet again. The Kiwi's devised it, the Poms improved it and today the Samoans executed brilliantly.

Three words: Breakdown, Breakdown, Breakdown.

But be of good cheer my friends, the season is young and Old Bill isn't going anywhere just yet!

zeedok

Allen Oxlade (6)
I am not sure why we even played this test. It was always going to be a relatively short preparation, given the longer super campaign and the world cup. Obviously, the Reds players deserve a rest, but I think the team would have been better served by having more time to get organised -- specially if you want to capitalize on the Reds momentum. As a side note, maybe we were building off the brumbies momentum -- in reverse -- particularly with the mid field selections.

If Deans really wanted to experiment, why not start Beale at flyhalf - he would be my backup to Quad, and Giteau is well past his best. I think he would lucky to make the 22, and we know what he can do anyway.

R

Red Rooster

I am not sure why we even played this test. It was always going to be a relatively short preparation, given the longer super campaign and the world cup. Obviously, the Reds players deserve a rest, but I think the team would have been better served by having more time to get organised -- specially if you want to capitalize on the Reds momentum. As a side note, maybe we were building off the brumbies momentum -- in reverse -- particularly with the mid field selections.

If Deans really wanted to experiment, why not start Beale at flyhalf - he would be my backup to Quad, and Giteau is well past his best. I think he would lucky to make the 22, and we know what he can do anyway.

Most of the players in the game finished their Super committments 3-4 weeks ago so there was plenty of time to prepare as there were only two Reds wingers playing (one came in late) and a couple of the bench. There could have been significant preparation done but someone chose not too

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Had they opted to kick penalties from the start and build momentum and points I am sure the crowd would not have booed the decision to try for the fourth. Must have also given the Samoans a huge psychological boost to see the Wobs start to worry and realize they were in trouble after backing themselves and getting nowhere. Bad captaincy. Horwill or Genia need to be given the job. Its another of Robbies perplexing decisions. He backs himself which Is fine but at times when things don't appear to be working he seems afraid to change his mind, and stubbornly sticks to his guns. Admitting he could get things wrong doesn't seem a strong point of his.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
I'm so sick of this Australian side not doing the basic. Keep it tight, build the phases and hunt as a pack. Stop trying to play rugby league. I remember a coach once telling me "there called pigs because the play so tightly together you can throw a blanket over them. As in pigs in blankets".

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
We have all been harping on about the depth Deans has built during his tenure and that the Wallabies win/loss ratio over the last four years is secondary. Yesterdays performance just blew that out of the water.
I desperately want the Wallabies to succeed this year but that was the worst possible start. We have a very long way to go before being RWC contenders.
The only way from here is up and hopefully we have a better showing next week.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Is there anyone in the wallabies team coaching or playing staff that can do an interview that displays some type of emotion. This measured disappointed crap coupled with people calling the team a "B" team when they wore our national jersey and played under our national banner is giving me the shits.

Status
Not open for further replies.