• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Deans contract extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

todd4

Jim Clark (26)
Happy about Dean's staying although I hope they get rid of his assistants.

Now for the Dream team of Deans, McKenzie & Foley. Backs, Forwards and set pieces all have their quality coaches.

What the wallabies are lacking is a disciplined and aggressive pack. McKenzie has shown he can turn any tellytubies into hard workers both with QLD and NSW.

Why can't some of the super coaches help out at national level as well. The NRL do it for state of origin and the Kangaroos. Admittedly less work is entailed for them.

I doubt that Deans would want Link on board. He'd be on a hiding to nothing.

With all the good press Link has received if the Wallabies won the RWC chances are a lot of the praise would be directed at Link, whereas if they lost the finger would be pointed at Deans as the head coach.

bryce

Darby Loudon (17)
Well tonight Deans just missed out on the record for the worst loss to France. He could have added it to his stellar record of having our worst loss to England, worst loss to South Africa (which I think was also the worst loss ever by a Wallaby side?), not to mention his outstanding record against NZ.
I like him as he comes across as a very decent bloke. But he's got to go.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
What would Link have done?

The players missed too many tackles.

Their body height was too high in the R/M.

There was insufficient piggies at the breakdown to prevent turnovers.

I'll give you that Link may have actually used the Bench a little more effectively.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)

I'll give you that Link may have actually used the Bench a little more effectively.

Changed the game plan earlier & ditch the direct approach when it was clear the space was on the fringes, replace Phipps, Dennis & Palu earlier for Sheehan, Gill & Samo.
I couldn't believe how some of players would become isolated on a 1 out hit up, why aren't they running as pods.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member

For one, I don't think he would accept the shit they put on the training field time and time again. I've seen enough Reds and Wallabies training sessions to see the difference and there is plenty of truth in the old adage you play how you train.

I don't think it's fair to say what would Link have done differently in that performance, there is plenty of evidence showing that Deans has dug this mire himself. Perhaps, just perhaps, a change would change the whole situation we are in.

flat_eric

Alfred Walker (16)
True, there is little Ewen Mackenzie could have done about the outcome of this mornings game. But the team would never have been in such a dire position if he was coach in the first place. Deans just needs to go after this tour. The fact he has lingered so long is a blight on Australian rugby.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
At the moment I'm just thinking of a Lions tour next year. If we can't score trys we are in big trouble against a team with the forward pack that will be far superior to ours.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
To be honest,I wouldn't be surprised if Link actually turned down job if offered. If I was a coach I would prefer to let someone have this rabble for a couple of years, and try and get them after WC to give yourself 4 full years to sort them out. I would also have a word to S15 coaches and beg them to teach their players the basics properly, and try and get new players with smarts!! I actually think with coaches like White at Brumbies, hopefully Cheika and even Link himself might knock the rough edges off some of these players. Somewhere in Aus there must be midfield backs that can change/think in games , and also some forwards who really want to actually take on opposition packs, and not be so halfhearted as they were this morning

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Somewhere in Aus there must be midfield backs that can change/think in games , and also some forwards who really want to actually take on opposition packs, and not be so halfhearted as they were this morning

No - our junior development program in the midfield consists of finding league 5/8s (Beale and Cooper) and thinking that will work in test matches.

Chauncey

Peter Burge (5)
Something that has bugged me for a while is the way the Wallabies train.
I have attended All Black and Springbok training sessions and there is a match day intensity and a hard edge drive to their prep.

In contrast we seem to loll about, do a few stretches, jog/amble around a few cones, swig some Gatorade, check tweets, read the newspaper, crack a few jokes with team mates before stepping it up a bit and finally finishing with a slow jog passing the ball to each other.

And as a result, this is what we get in the tests.

We just completely lack any basic skills added to which we have NO killer intensity or edge.

O

Ole Two Blue

Dingo can come coach Parra 3rd Grade when he gets the bullet after this tour going winless. The Wallabies have zero attack, they rarely put the opposition defence under pressure and skill execution is the worst of any Wallaby side I've seen.

Coach Glen Christini can teach Dingo a lot.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Happy about Dean's staying although I hope they get rid of his assistants.

Now for the Dream team of Deans, McKenzie & Foley.
"Dream team of Deans . . . & Foley"? I used to have dreams like that when I was a wee little tugger. I'd usually wake up and find I'd pissed the bed in fright. Let's leave Foley where he is so he can bring the same level of excitement to the rugby followers of Perth that he did to us in Sydney.

Anyway, enough gloom and doom. I've seen not one word of praise for the one Deans initiative that has actually worked. It took a bloody long while to yield any benefit but with Deans presumably installed as coach-for-life we can afford to take a long term view.

A lot of people - perhaps even myself - pointed the finger of scorn when Robbie appointed Braam van Straaten as goal kicking coach. We felt it would be difficult to coach kicking via Skype but it has finally paid off. Our success percentage has risen dramatically. Now we just have to work on getting in kicking range enough times in a game for it to matter.

Reactions: BPC

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Has Bram Stoker as goal kicking coach been any use since we (for once) bought a second hand discard from the Darkness?

Aussie Mike was working OK from the get go. No further coaching needed. Probably saved a bit on the Skype downloads as well.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Perhaps Robbie should take a lead from another code:
Sydney FC head coach Ian Crook has resigned after just six A-League games in charge.
"I just felt that it's started to affect me and probably my health. I haven't enjoyed it for a few weeks, if the truth be known," he said.
"I've felt like it's been a burden, a constant burden and once something gets like that, that then obviously has a flipside where it starts affecting my family.
"I'm sure they will [ask if I was] pushed - the answer 100 per cent 'no'. This is 100 per cent my decision."
To save time we could adapt their press release to our slightly different circumstances:

Wallabies head coach Robbie Deans has resigned after seven excruciating years in charge.

"I just felt that it's started to affect me and probably my sanity. I haven't enjoyed it for a few years, if the truth be known," he said.

"I've felt like I've been a burden, a constant burden and once someone gets like that, that then obviously has a flipside where it starts affecting my family.

"I'm sure they will [ask if I was] pushed - the answer 100 per cent 'bloody oath'. This is 100 per cent my most popular decision."

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Bruce Ross: would it be the decent and right thing to do for him to resign?
Do you think he's tossed it up to JON in the past?
Or does he hunker down take the money and look after #1?
Bloody interesting question if you look at it from his angle: I think i would have walked away by now.
Is that quitting or taking the soft option or is he entitled to rationalise it and say - "shit, historically youre a crap rugby nation and youre no 2 in the world: what more do you expect?"

Status
Not open for further replies.